What do you know about "medical marijuana"?
Answer the following questions to show what you learned in the student article.
1. Which of the statements below is not true?
A The FDA must approve any medicine before it can be sold in the United States.
B Marinol [R], an FDA-approved medication, is a synthetic (i.e., human-made) version of THC.
C A new drug must pass only one phase of clinical testing to be approved by the FDA as a medicine.
D Drug companies must prove to the FDA that they can produce a medication of a consistent quality.
2. Phase 2 clinical testing of a drug involves testing the drug in.
A the general population
C the elderly
D patients with the disease or condition the drug is meant to treat
3. The process for getting FDA approval for a new medication can take more than.
A 15 years
B 15 months
C 15 weeks
D 2 years
4. Which of the following is a true statement?
A THC is the plant name for marijuana.
B THC stands for top health concern.
C THC is one of the active ingredients in marijuana.
D THC is a slang term used for marijuana.
5. Why hasn't marijuana been approved as a medicine by the FDA?
A Using marijuana in its raw plant form may pose more risks than benefits.
B Marijuana does not have well-defined and measurable ingredients that are the same each time it is used.
C Marijuana has not gone through the FDA approval process to show that it offers more benefit than harm.
D All of the above are correct.
6. Clinical testing of new drugs in humans is done on both healthy people and sick patients.
7. Drug companies must prove that the benefits of a drug outweigh any harmful side effects before it can be FDA-approved.
8. The first step toward approval of a new medication is testing it on several hundred people.
9. Marijuana contains more than 400 different chemicals, including THC.
10. Marijuana is not a medicine, but some of the chemicals found in marijuana are used in medicines.
11.The U.S. government recognizes marijuana as a legal medication.
This year's Heath Up articles highlight myths versus facts about marijuana.
WORK SHEET ANSWER KEY
1. c; 2. d; 3. a; 4: c; 5: d; 6. True; 7. True; 8. False; 9. True; 10. True; 11. False