Printer Friendly

Warning over mussels.

People were today warned about a batch of potentially poisonous mussels which may have been sold on Teesside.

The Food Standards Agency said fresh mussels sold in one kilo nets by Asda, Morrisons and Tesco's supermarkets may contain toxins above the legal limits.

The Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group (SSMG) undertook the recall, after its own testing found levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins above the legal limit.

PSP, which occurs very infrequently, is caused by naturally occurring algae blooms and can pose a health risk.

Symptoms can include a tingling sensation of the mouth and tongue, and respiratory problems. In very rare cases PSP can be fatal.

Officers from Middlesbrough Council's Food and Safety Team contacted local stores to ensure affected products have been withdrawn.

Customers who bought the mussels between September 4 to 6 should not to eat them but either dispose of them or return them to the store where they were purchased for a refund.

For details call principal environmental health officer Wayne Flowers on 01642 728294.
COPYRIGHT 2006 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:News Local
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Sep 13, 2006
Words:171
Previous Article:Murderer.
Next Article:Teen mugger steals mobile.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters