WID installs new board, looks to future. (Women in Defense).At its annual meeting--held in mid-April at the Army-Navy Country Club in Arlington, Va,--Women in Defense installed its board of directors for the coming year, reviewed its accomplishments for the previous year and discussed the association's goals.
The new board officers are: President Norma Byron, of The Ashlawn Group; Vice President Janice Menker, of Current Technologies Corporation; Secretary Heather Owens, of Versar Inc.; Treasurer Becky Patton, of Booz Allen Hamilton Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc., referred to as Booz Allen is one of the oldest strategy consulting firms in the world. The firm formerly had two consulting divisions: WCB (Worldwide Commercial Business, also known as “The Commercial Side”) and WTB , and Horizons Director Marie E. Danco, of TRW TRW The Real World (TV reality show)
TRW The Right Way
TRW Tactical Reconnaissance Wing
TRW The Retriever Weekly (University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD)
TRW Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc
WID's membership is at a record high, with more than 400 members nationwide, and continues to grow at a rapid rate. The board attributes this to a number of factors:
* A general increase in interest in national-security careers after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
* A related growth in defense-oriented jobs, both in the public and private sectors.
* The continued expansion of WID's Iowa-Illinois Chapter.
* The founding of a new chapter at Picatinny Arsenal The Picatinny Arsenal (IPA: /ˈpɪkətɪni/ or /ˌpɪkəˈtɪni/ , N.J.
* Expressions of interest in forming additional chapters at other several locations across the United States United States, officially United States of America, republic (2005 est. pop. 295,734,000), 3,539,227 sq mi (9,166,598 sq km), North America. The United States is the world's third largest country in population and the fourth largest country in area. .
* The successful New Member Reception and Job Fair, held last January in Arlington.
* An overall increase in the number of WID WID Width
WID Women In Development
WID World Institute on Disability
WID What It Do?
WID Writing in the Disciplines (academia)
WID When It's Done events.
* The continued support of WID's mission by NDIA--both at the national headquarters and at NDIA NDIA National Defense Industrial Association
NDIA New Doha International Airport (Qatar) chapters.
WID continues to look for more ways to connect with members. Communications Director Carmella Thompson, of BAB Systems, is developing an e-mail newsletter to provide an additional venue for communicating with members.
"In the WID newsletter, we will highlight WID events, post job changes and promotions, and generally look for more ways for WID members to communicate and benefit from each other's experiences," Thompson said. Details will be released as they become available.
Picatinny Arsenal organizes
On March 6, WID President Norma Byron, then--Vice President Julie Afford and NDIA Membership Director Jane Casey met with 117 professional women from Picatinny Arsenal, in Dover, N.J. At that meeting--a luncheon sponsored by NDJA's Picainny Chapter--a committee was formed to organize a Picatinny chapter of WID. A total of 35 joined that day.
Barbara Thomas The Hon. Barbara Thomas (Lady Judge) (born 28 December 1946) is Chair of the UK Atomic Energy Authority and of the Governing Body of the School of Oriental and African Studies.
Born Barbara S. , of Decision Systems Technologies, Inc., and Barbara Machak, of the arsenal's Fire Support Armaments Center, were chosen to lead the organizing committee, which will draft chapter by--laws and elect a slate of officers.
"We stand ready to assist WID in forming a chapter to promote professional development and career networking here at Picatinny," said John Gehbauer, president of NDIA's Picatinny Chapter.
NDIA's support helps both sustain WID and form new regional chapters. WID is grateful, for example, for the continuing support of NDIA's Iowa-Illinois Chapter. The formation of new chapters is one realization of the power and potential synergy The enhanced result of two or more people, groups or organizations working together. In other words, one and one equals three! It comes from the Greek "synergia," which means joint work and cooperative action. behind WID's affiliation with NDIA, which dates back to 1995. NDIA supports WID in many ways, including managing WID's finances and accounting, publishing the membership directory, and developing and maintaining the Web site.
Norma Byron, president of The Ashlawn Group, LLC (Logical Link Control) See "LANs" under data link protocol.
LLC - Logical Link Control , is president of Women In Defense.