VOLLEYBALL BEAT : SEEDING THE CITY.Byline: Lee Barnathan
The City Section seeding meeting is tonight at 6 at Hamilton High School Hamilton High School may refer to:
The top two 4-A spots appear headed to Palisades Palisades, cliffs along the west bank of the Hudson River, NE N.J. and SE N.Y., extending from N of Jersey City, N.J., to the vicinity of Piermont, N.Y., with a general altitude of from 350 ft to 550 ft (107–168 m). and Taft, probably in that order. Westchester and Kennedy are the probable third and fourth seeds.
The 3-A is a mess, with Eagle Rock, Monroe, Poly and Sylmar jockeying for the top four seeds. But in what order? Here is one view:
1. Monroe: The Vikings have the Mid-Valley League and Valley Pac-8 Conference title and the dominant player is 6-foot-5 Jose Sanchez. Plus, they are playing well now, having won seven of eight and having reached the Tournament of Champions quarterfinal, better than any other City team. Their overall record might hold them back unless the committee can be convinced their losses (three to 4-A teams, one to Poly) were not indicative of their current play.
2. Sylmar: This is a real long shot but one the committee should seriously consider. The Spartans beat East Valley League champion Poly twice and finished second to 4-A Venice in the Sylmar tournament, which brings together many of the best 3-A teams. Plus, they have been rejuvenated re·ju·ve·nate
tr.v. re·ju·ve·nat·ed, re·ju·ve·nat·ing, re·ju·ve·nates
1. To restore to youthful vigor or appearance; make young again.
2. with the return of opposite hitter Mario Moran and the consistency of Ervin Gonzalez. Their 8-4 record could be a detriment. Regardless, they're peaking at the right time.
3. Poly: The Parrots could get the second seed if the committee overlooks Sylmar's second-place status and doesn't decide to put the champion of a weaker conference (Eagle Rock or Marshall from the Northern) with a better overall record, ahead. They won the toughest league in the City, beat Monroe and have shaken off their midseason doldrums. Plus, they have Gilbert Ramos, one of the more dangerous 3-A players.
4. Eagle Rock: The defending City 3-A champion Eagles were 10-2 heading into Wednesday's finale at Franklin, but the Northern Conference isn't as strong as the Valley Pac-8. Still, a No. 2 seed isn't out of the question if the committee doesn't put weight on Sylmar beating them last weekend.
A Spartan package
Come playoff time, teams that have someone who can hit, block, pass and serve often make an impact. Sylmar has Ervin Gonzalez.
There's something about a big game that excites Gonzalez, a 6-foot-3-1/2 senior. He never lost to arch-rival Poly, either in volleyball or basketball. He helped the basketball team win a City 3-A title in March and now he wants to be one of the first in school history to win City titles in more than one sport.
``I want to play. I want to win. I want to give myself a championship,'' he said.
Big tournament: One of the top end-of-season tournaments is in Redondo Beach Redondo Beach (rĭdŏn`dō), city (1990 pop. 60,167), Los Angeles co., S Calif., on the Pacific Ocean; inc. 1892. Once a commercial port for Los Angeles, it is a residential and resort city with a protected harbor and an excellent marina. this weekend. Teams in need of some intense competition before the playoffs are wise to enter, as Royal, Campbell Hall Campbell Hall can refer to:
FYI "For your information." See digispeak.
FYI - For Your Information : Newbury Park became the second Marmonte League The Marmonte League is a high school sports league primarily made up of schools from Ventura County. The Marmonte Leauge is part of the CIF Southern Section. Click here to view the league schedule. team to take a game off Royal when it won the third game Wednesday. Thousand Oaks Thousand Oaks, residential city (1990 pop. 104,352), Ventura co., S Calif., in a farm area; inc. 1964. Avocados, citrus, vegetables, strawberries, and nursery products are grown. had previously taken two games from Royal in separate years.
DAILY NEWS TOP 10
Through Tuesday's matches
No. School Record LW
1. Royal 12-1 1
Highlanders must have known Newbury Park would play better this time
2. Crespi 12-1 2
Campbell Hall, Harvard-Westlake next week to test Celts The following pages provide lists of nations or people of Celtic origin, arranged by branch of Celtic ethnicity or language grouping:
3. Campbell Hall 11-1 3
Needs to beat Crespi Tuesday to earn top seed in Division III
Division III (or DIII) is a division of the National Collegiate Athletic Association of the United States. regional playoffs
4. Taft 12-0 6
No. 2 seed likely in City 4-A playoffs
5. Littlerock9-2 4
By stumbling against Highland, Lobos make Quartz Hill rematch REMATCH Cardiology Clinical trials–Randomized Evaluation of Mechanical Assistance Therapy as an alternative in Congestive Heart failure–related to use of a portable, electric left ventricular-assist system–LVAS–eg, HeartMate® May 8 mean something
6. Quartz Hill 9-2 7
If Rebels win last four, Golden title is theirs
7. Harvard-Westlake 9-5 5
Wolverines hanging on to third place in Mission
8. Monroe 8-4 8
Vikings should get top seed in City 3-A
9. Flintridge Prep 12-2 NR
Chas Terhune complementing Craig Revell nicely
10. Kennedy 10-3 10
Jeff Toon's hurt, but he's coming back for playoffs
PHOTO Ervin Gonzalez's consistency and overall play have been keys to Sylmar's success this season.
Gus Ruelas/Daily News
BOX: DAILY NEWS TOP 10 (see text)