Urethane curatives: product lines reviewed.
URETHANE CURATIVES PRODUCT LINES REVIEWED
AIR PRODUCTS AND CHEMICALS, INC.
Manufactures and markets an extensive line of additives for use in all types of polyurethane foam. Included are amine, morpholine Morpholine is an organic chemical compound having the chemical formula O(CH2CH2)2NH. This heterocycle, pictured at right, features both amine and ether functional groups. and organometallic organometallic /or·ga·no·me·tal·lic/ (-me-tal´ik) consisting of a metal combined with an organic radical, used particularly for a compound in which the metal is linked directly to a carbon atom. catalysts, crosslinkers and chain extenders, silicone and nonsilicone surfactants and release agents:
* Dabco 33-LV and BL-11 recommended for use in flexible slabstock and flexible molded systems, are tertiary amine catalysts that provide precise control of the gelling and blowing reactions.
* Dabco 8154 and BL-17 are delayed-action catalysts for use in flexible slabstock/flexible molded foam systems.
* Polycat 77 is a 100% active amine catalyst that promotes the gelling and blowing reactions in flexible and semi-flexible molded foam.
* Polycat 8 is an industry-standard catalyst for spray systems and pour-in-place rigid applications.
* Polycat 46 catalyst, potassium acetate, and Dabco K-15 catalyst, potassium octoate, are used in isocyanurate lamination lamination
a laminar structure or arrangement. systems.
* Dabco TMR TMR
total mixed ration.
TMR 1 Trainable mentally retarded 2 Transmyocardial revascularization, see there family of catalyst is used alone or in conjunction with polyurethane catalysts to customize the reactivities of polyisocyanurate foam systems.
* Dabco T-9, T-12 and 120 represent three types of tin-based catalysts that are useful in a variety of foam systems.
* Dabco NEM, NMM and NCM, morpholine-based catalysts, and Dabco B-16 catalyst are useful in polyester slabstock foam.
* Dabco DC5160 silicone surfactant Surfactant Definition
Surfactant is a complex naturally occurring substance made of six lipids (fats) and four proteins that is produced in the lungs. It can also be manufactured synthetically. provides both wide latitude and high efficiency stabilization in flexible slabstock processing.
* Dabco DC5164 silicone surfactant provides the highest cell stability and Dabco DC5241 silicone surfactant provides the greatest cell openness in flexible molded foams.
* Dabco DC193 silicone surfactant is designed to promote intimate mixing of reactant reactant /re·ac·tant/ (re-ak´tant) a substance entering into a chemical reaction.
n. and is used in all rigid foam systems.
* LK-221 and LK-443 are unique non-silicone surfactants that improve adhesion in dual density elastomeric formulations and reduce pinholing in rigid foams, respectively.
* Airlift water-based release agents allow excellent release and reduced build-up on molds and eliminate VOC emissions.
AKZO AKZO Algemene Koninklijke Zout Organon (Dutch: General royal silk organisation; merger of AKU and KZO in 1968) CHEMICALS INC.
Stanclere TL dibutyltin dilaurate is said to provide better hydrolytic stability in premixes containing polyol, water and silicone than stannous stannous: a chemical compound containing tin in the +2 valence state. catalyst, giving the premix premix
a finite mixture of nutritional supplements such as minerals and vitamins, usually combined with a carrier and ready for mixing with a total ration. a longer storage life. In molded flexible PU foams, Stanclere TL reportedly promotes faster gassing while delaying gelation gelation /ge·la·tion/ (je-la´shun) conversion of a sol into a gel.
1. Solidification by cooling or freezing.
2. The process of forming a gel.
3. of the foam to allow complete filling of the mold before the foam begins to set. Dibutyltin bis IOTG is also offered.
In addition, the company offers liquid potassium acetate and potassium octate catalysts. These can be supplied at various concentrations in DEG or PEG. These materials are normally more cost-effective than amines for rigid urethane applications and can be blended with amines to achieve various end-point properties.
ANDERSON DEVELOPMENT CO.
Produces a series of urethane curatives called Curene. They include Curene 442, a standard mboca-type material, as well as Curene 185 for reduced hardness and Curene 3005, a liquid curative for polyester-based prepolymers.
ATOCHEM NORTH AMERICA INC.
Company produces dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE DMAE 2-Dimethylaminoethanol
DMAE Departamento Municipal de Água e Esgoto (Portugese; Porto Alegre, Brazil) ) which is said to be an effective, economical amine catalyst for flexible and rigid PU foams. Product reportedly is low-cost, reduces viscosity of the polyol mix, offers solvent properties to help disperse polyol-mix components, provides good latitude in adjusting cream and rise times. When combined with tin catalysts, DMAE is said to give better independent control of the PU foam reactions than other amine catalysts.
BASF BASF Bar Association of San Francisco (since 1872; San Francisco, California)
BASF Badische Anilin und Soda Fabrik (German chemical products company)
BASF Builders Association of South Florida CORP.
Offers a variety of amine-based catalysts for use in several flexible and rigid applications, including: PM-DETA, TM-PDA, TM-HDA, N,N-dimethylcyclohexylamine, N-methylmorpholine, N-ethylmorpholine, 1-methylimidazole, 1.2-dimethylimidazole, dimethylethanolamine, and triethylamine.
BUCKMAN LABORATORIES, INC.
Offers Bulab 600 tertiary amine catalysts and TMEDA TMEDA Tetramethylethylenediamine (tetramethylethylene diamine di·am·ine
Any of various chemical compounds containing two amino groups, especially hydrazine.
Noun 1. diamine - any organic compound containing two amino groups ). Both products are said to be fast, stable catalysts for use in rigid and flexible urethanes.
SUB. OF MERCK & CO., INC.
Metasol 57 is a specially prepared form of phenylmercuric propionate propionate /pro·pi·o·nate/ (pro´pe-o-nat) any salt of propionic acid.
A salt or ester of propionic acid.
any salt of propionic acid. designed to catalyze urethane elastomers and foams. It is supplied as a free-flowing powder or as a 20% solution in dipropylene glycol (Metasol 57/DPG) for use in automatic metering equipment.
These products specifically catalyze the isocyanate/hydroxyl reaction and do not catalyze the isocyanate/water reaction. They are said to be stable, economical and able to function at low ambient temperatures with rapid gelling to permit fast demolding. Delayed induction period at low viscosity, followed by rapid cure, reportedly is provided, along with good demolding properties.
CARDINAL STABILIZERS INC.
Tin catalysts are available for use in flexible and rigid urethanes, including CC-1 (dibutyltin dilaurate), CC-3 (dibutyltin diacetate), and stannous octoate, including various solutions. A low-freezing-point version of CC-1 is offered for use in colder climates.
Offers proprietary organomercury compounds, trademarked Cocures, that function as polymerization or straight-chain catalyst for a wide range of castable two-component PU elastomers. Applications include industrial tires, conveyor belting, shock absorbers, printing rolls, wire sheathing, electrical insulation, seals, gaskets, and sporting goods. Available as liquids or powders and offered in a range of induction periods and cure times, Cocure products reportedly impart excellent elongation and tensile strength, are not affected by humidity, and can give satisfactory cures even at low ambient temperatures.
Other products available include:
* Cotins, a line of standard and proprietary organotins, including dibutyltin dilaurate and stannous octoate, are offered for urethane elastomers, rigid, and semirigid sem·i·rig·id
Partly or moderately rigid.
(of an airship) maintaining shape by means of a main supporting keel and internal gas pressure
Adj. 1. foam.
* Coscat 83, an organobismuth catalyst for two-component urethane elastomer systems, can be used in a wide range of elastomer formulations where reduced catalyst toxicity is desired. It is said to provide an alternative to lead, mercury, or tin-based catalysts.
* A complete line of amine catalysts includes Coscat T-33 (triethylenediamine), Coscat DM-8 (dimethylcyclohexylamine), Coscat DM-5 (pentamethyl DETA), Coscat NEM and NMM, Coscat DMEA DMEA Delta-Montrose Electric Association (Colorado)
DMEA Defense Minerals Exploration Administration
DMEA Department of Mineral and Energy Affairs (South Africa) , and Coscat B-1 (bis-dimethylaminoethylether). Coscat DP-30 is an amine system for isocyanurate foams.
CONAP CONAP Consejo Nacional de Areas Protegidas (Guatemala) INC.
Offers curatives for use with high-performance, heat-cure polyurethane elastomers.
* Conacure AH-33: MBOCA, polyol curative, having an equivalent weight of 280. It functions as a liquid MCOCA MCOCA Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (India) alternative in many applications.
* Conacure AH-40: Non-MBOCA, liquid aromatic diamine curing agent having an equivalent weight of 133.3.
* Conacure AH-50: Low-viscosity, polyol curative having an equivalent weight of 90.
DOW CHEMICAL CO.
Proprietary metal-salt complexes include Curithane 51 and 52 for controlled reaction of polyisocyanurate foams.
ENTERPRISE CHEMICAL CO.
Quincat CQ-330 is a 33% solution of quinuclidene (1,4-ethylene piperidine pi·per·i·dine
A strongly basic, colorless liquid from which certain phenothiazine antipsychotics are derived. ) in dipropylene glycol. This amine catalyst reportedly shows activity equal to that of triethylenediamine-based catalysts, but at significantly lower use levels and lower cost. Foam properties are said to be comparable to those obtained with standard catalysts. This product is recommended for use in RIM, high-resilience (HR) foams, conventional flexible slabstock and rigid spray, pour-in-place and refrigeration-type foams.
Exclusive license for a new proven manufacturing process is available.
BEDFORD CHEMICAL DIV.
Cata-Check line of PU catalysts includes both stannous and alkyl alkyl /al·kyl/ (al´k'l) the monovalent radical formed when an aliphatic hydrocarbon loses one hydrogen atom.
n. tin systems used in PU foams and elastomers. Stannouse octoate in various concentrations is available in the Cata-Check 860 series. Also available is the standard dibutyltin dilaurate (Cata-Chek 820) and dibutyltin diacetate (Cata-Chek 867).
FOCUS CHEMICAL CORP.
Offers triethylenediamine and other amine catalysts for urethanes.
KENRICH PETROCHEMICALS, INC.
Offers titanate ti·tan·ate
A salt or ester of titanic acid. coupling agents as urethane catalysts that act via a polyol-alcoholysis/NCO-alkylation mechanism. In a two-component RIM polyurethane, KR 55 titanate will produce a gel time of 16 sec, compared with a 27-sec gel time for dubutyltin dilaurate. An amino titanate, KR 44 reportedly will gel in 6.3 sec and provide an ultimate tensile strength of 21,570 psi at significantly lower cost, compared with 4450 psi for a dibutyltin dilaurate. Tg for urethane cured with KR 44 is 468 F versus 241 F for that cured with tin. Neoalkoxy titanates reportedly provide increased thermal and solvolytic stability.
MERCK & CO., INC. See Calgon Corp.
MILLIKEN CHEMICAL CO.
Offers amine curing agents: phenyldiethanolamine and phenylethylethanolamine.
MOONEY CHEMICALS, INC.
Urethane catalysts available include dibutyltin dilaurate, potassium octoate, zinc octoate and lead neodecanoate.
ROHM AND HAAS Rohm and Haas Company (NYSE: ROH), a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania based company, manufactures miscellaneous materials. A Fortune 500 Company, Rohm and Haas employs more than 17,000 people in 27 countries. The annual sales revenue of Rohm and Haas stands at about USD 8.2 billion. CO.
Tetramethylenediamine, a catalyst for PU foams, is offered.
SHEPHERD CHEMICAL CO.
Manufactures ferric ferric (fĕr`ĭk), iron in the +3 valence state.
See ferrous. acetyl acetyl /ac·e·tyl/ (as´e-til) (as´e-tel?) (ah-se´til) the monovalent radical CH3COsbond, a combining form of acetic acid.
n. acetonate and zinc acetyl acetonate urethane catalysts.
Offers BiCAT and bismuth versalate formulations for controlled activity and selectivity polymerizations.
TEXACO TEXACO The Texas Company CHEMICAL CO.
Company's Texacat series of amine catalysts is offered for a broad range of applications in PU foams:
* Texacat TD-33 is a 33.3% solution of triethylenediamine in propylene glycol for use in flexible, semiflexible sem·i·flex·i·ble
Partially or somewhat flexible: semiflexible tubing. and rigid foams and elastomers.
* Texacat TD-33A is a 33.3% solution of triethylenediamine in dipropylene glycol.
* Texacat DME, N,N'-dimethylethanolamine, is used with other Texacat catalysts to promote the gas-blowing reaction or to serve as an acid scavenger.
* Texacat TD-20 is a blend of 80% Texacat DME and 20% triethylenediamine for use in a wide range of rigid foams.
* Texacat DM-70 is used in flexible polyethers, polyesters and HR molded foams. Its advantages are said to include high reactivity, good surface cure and low odor.
* Texacat NEM, N-ethylmorpholine, is said to promote good top-skin cure in polyester foam molding.
* Texacat NMM, N-methylmorpholine, is for use in high-rise rigid foam panels and polyester foams.
* Texacat M-75 is a unique low-odor catalyst used chiefly in production of polyester slabstock. It features reduced bun discoloration and broader processing latitude, resulting in more open-celled foams.
* Texacat DPA DPA - Data Protection Act , a low-odor catalyst containing reactive hydroxyl groups, is designed primarily for low-density packaging foams.
Company also offers the following polyether catalysts in the Texacat line:
* ZR-70 is a dimethylaminoethoxylethanol for use in specialty packaging applications and other applications where strong blowing is advantageous.
* ZF-22 is a 70% bis-(2-dimethylaminoethyl) ether diluted in dipropylene glycol amine catalyst used in flexible polyether slabstock foams and flexible molded foams.
* ZF-23 is a blend of tertiary amines specifically formulated for non-cfc, Max-foam processes.
* ZF-51 is a formulated amine catalyst used in flexible stabstock to promote higher block yield, and is said to be especially useful in methylene chloride-blown foams.
* ZF-52 is a delayed-action, formulated amine catalyst for flexible stabstock foams.
* ZF-54 is a formulated amine for automotive seat molding. Delayed activity allows better flow, and the additive is useful as a co-catalyst with stronger gelation catalysts. Demold time is reduced.
Also offered are the following specialty catalysts:
* DD is a high-boiling tertiary amine offered for use in flexible slabstock and flexible molding.
* DMDEE DMDEE 2,2'-Dimorpholino Diethyl Ether (polyurethane catalyst) is a high-boiling tertiary amine with a balanced reactivity to blowing and gelation reactions.
* DMP (N,N-dimethylpiperazine) is a general-purpose catalyst for flexible and semi-flexible polyether foam.
THOR CHEMICALS, INC.
Manufactures proprietary organomercury and organotin catalysts for elastomers and some foams. Company's Thor 535 catalyst is a solvent-free, low-viscous, organomercury catalyst containing 35% metal, and said to have a long pot life and ambient cure.
TOSOH USA, INC.
Manufactures tertiary amine catalysts for rigid spray, molded foam, RIM, flexible, and HR foams. Pure and blended analogs of triethylenediamine (TEDA TEDA Tianjin Economic Development Area (China)
TEDA Terrace Economic Development Authority (Canada)
TEDA Texas Educational Diagnosticians Association ) are offered with various solvent systems for rigid, RIM, and flexible foams:
* Toyocat SPF (1) (Stateful Packet Firewall) See stateful inspection.
(2) (Sender Policy Framework) An e-mail authentication system that verifies that the message came from an authorized mail server. , N-18, and N-31, recommended for flexible and molded foams, are blended catalysts compatible with blended polyols and highly synergistic with organotins.
* Toyocats TF and THN delayed-action catalysts based on TEDA are said to provide excellent retarding effects and gelling characteristics in rigid and RIM systems.
* Toyocats HX4, HX4W, and HX35 reportedly produce good physical properties with no stain in semirigid systems containing PVC PVC: see polyvinyl chloride.
in full polyvinyl chloride
Synthetic resin, an organic polymer made by treating vinyl chloride monomers with a peroxide. .
* Toyocat MR is a strong gelling catalyst; Toyocat DT is a strong blowing catalyst. Both are recommended as replacements for conventional catalysts used in appliances.
UNION CARBIDE CORP.
SPECIALTY CHEMICALS DIV.
Offers a broad range of Niax amine catalysts for all types of urethane foams. Product line includes both a high-activity A-series group and standard catalysts. Union Carbide is now supplying a line of tin-based catalysts from Cardinal Chemical Co.
JIM WALTER RESOURCES, INC.
Offers potassium octoate compounds in a diethylene glycol carrier for isocyanurate foams. Percent of potassium by weight ranges from 12.8% to 15%, with respective viscosities in the 5000 and 7000 cps range.
Offers the Fomrez series of tin-based compounds for various types of urethanes, including rigid, flexible, high-resilience, and microcellular foams, as well as cast and RIM elastomers.