They're not so miserable now; PREVIEW.
Byline: CATRIONA KILLIN
DESPITE the death of their manager and the studio burning down, Doves still made a debut album in Lost Souls which was a critical and commercial success.
Not surprisingly, the band also found themselves labelled as Morrissey-style miseries.
But Jez Williams, one third of the three-way democracy that defines Doves, felt that the "unhappy Northerners" label was inappropriate.
It meant that people were not listening or looking carefully enough. It had been the same story with The Smiths.
But there can be no such accusations made about the band's follow-up album, Last Broadcast.
It's a powerful, complex offering which reflects the band's roots in Hacienda era Manchester.
1. also front man A man who serves as a nominal leader but who lacks real authority.
2. Music A leading singer with a group. Jimi Goodwin said: "How can we not be informed by our past? Growing up in the Hacienda? We don't do 4/4 beats any more, but we took that with us production wise."
The result is an album which bristles with fresh ideas.
There Goes The Fear -the first single to be released from the album - is a pulsating charge of a song. It echoes with the reminiscence rem·i·nis·cence
1. The act or process of recollecting past experiences or events.
2. An experience or event recollected: "Her mind seemed wholly taken up with reminiscences of past gaiety" of New Order in an unlikely combination with Latin percussion
Latin Percussion, also known as LP, is a brand of percussion instruments, specialising in items based on ethnic instruments but chosen and in need engineered . It's music as a positive force and reflects the aspirations of many Mancunian teenagers.
Jimi added: "Manchester has always had the same escape routes, music and football. We're no good at football, but when we went to the Hacienda we realised music was something we could do."
"There was an atmosphere of pure joy," agrees Jez. "And that's an attitude that's stayed with us."
The leap between the two albums reflects their need to express that joy musically.
The result is a celebratory cocktail, which chimes with a free, open spirit.
Jez added: "All I know is that we wanted to make this one sound as exciting as possible.
"We're not burying so many things like we did on Lost Souls, it's the most optimistic op·ti·mist
1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome.
2. A believer in philosophical optimism.
op thing we've ever written. I knew every song had to be brilliant and I think we've achieved that.
"I think people will finally see what Doves are all about."
Doves are now touring as headliners, having had the unenviable task of opening for Travis on their recent tour.
So what can people expect of Doves live?
Jimi Goodwin offers this taster: "We just board a tune and then ride with it."
Journey with Doves on Wednesday at the Barrowlands in Glasgow.