The world's hungriest countries.
1. The nations with the highest percentages of undernourished people are located on which continent? --
2. Which is the only nation in the Western Hemisphere listed on the chart? --
3. How many years has Afghanistan been affected by conflict? --
4. According to the chart, which nation has the highest percentage of its population living below the poverty line? --
5. According to the chart, which nation has the highest mortality rate among children 5-years-old or younger? --
6. War has displaced nearly 2 million people in which African nation? --
7. What actions by governments and groups in the chart have led to Africa's hunger crisis? --
8. Of the human-made and natural causes for world hunger, which do you think poses the greatest threat? Explain your answer. --
9. What can you infer about the social infrastructure of the nations represented on the chart? Explain your answer. --
10. Why do you think no European nations are listed on the chart? --
COUNTRY % Under- Under 5 Threats to Food nourished (1) Mortality (2) Security AFRICA Congo 75 205 * 1.7 million displaced (Democratic by war, millions more Republic) cut off from traditional sources of food. Somalia 71 225 * natural resources destroyed by civil war, drought, and floods; 350,000 displaced. Burundi 70 190 * 490,000 displaced by military conflicts; drought threatens 700,000. Eritrea 61 111 * drought afflicts half the country; over a million farmers displaced by Ethiopian conflict. Mozambique 53 197 * irregular rains or drought, severe crop failure; 70% in poverty; 13% infected by HIV/AIDS. Zambia 50 202 * ongoing drought and poor harvests; 21% with HIV/AIDS; about 70% live below poverty line. Sierra Leone 50 316 * 750,000 displaced from a decade of civil war. ASIA Tajikistan 71 116 * 500,000 displaced by civil war; 66% of population below poverty line. Afghanistan 70 257 * worst drought in 30 years; 26 years of conflict; 4.3 million without sufficient access to food. NORTH AMERICA Haiti 49 123 * 80% live in poverty; 47% of children under 5 moderately or severely stunted. (1) For the period 1999-2001 (2) Deaths per 1,000 births, 2001 SOURCES: The State of Food Insecurety in the World 2003, United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation; UN World Food Program; U.S. Committee on Refugees
3. 26 years
5. Sierra Leone
6. Congo (Democratic Republic)
7. military conflicts, civil war, poverty, HIV/AIDS
8. Answers will vary.
9. Answers will vary, but may cite weak infrastructures.
10. Answers will vary. Students may cite less severe climate and stronger infrastructures and economies.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Mar 8, 2004|
|Previous Article:||Test your map skills: hunger in Africa.|
|Next Article:||Famines through history.|