The two houses of Congress.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES QUESTIONS SENATE 435 How many members? 100 Based on state How many seats does Each state has two population. The largest each state have? Senators. state has 53 House seats; the smallest has 3. Two years How long is each Six years member's term? Yes. No limit to the Can a member be Yes. No limit to the number of terms. re-elected? number of terms. Yes. Representatives are Are all members No. One third of the elected in even-numbered elected at the same Senate is elected in years (2004, 2006, time? each even-numbered year. etc.). Speaker of the House Who is the Vice President of the presiding officer? U.S. * Originates all revenue What are the * Confirms U.S. treaties bills (legislation to special powers of by a two-thirds vote. collect taxes). each house? * Confirms President's * Votes whether to appointments by a impeach federal majority vote. officials (charge them * Votes whether to with serious remove impeached misconduct). officials from office. * Decides who will be * Decides who will be President if no Vice President if no candidate receives a candidate receives a majority of the majority of the electoral vote. electoral vote.
Read this table to discover basic facts about each house (chamber) of the U.S. Congress. Then answer the questions. Questions
1. In which house are the states equally represented? --
2. In which house do the most populous states have more representatives? --
3. All revenue bills must originate in which chamber of Congress? --
4. Which house has the power to approve presidential appointments? --
5. How do the two houses of Congress balance the interests of large and small states? --
2. House of Representatives
3. House of Representatives
5. House scats are based on population. But each state, regardless of size, has two Senate seats.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Oct 4, 2004|
|Previous Article:||How we choose our leaders.|
|Next Article:||How a bill becomes a law.|