The perfect fixture.
7 STEPS TO AN INTUITIVE MAIN FIXTURE LAYOUT - LARGE STORES
1. Fair share of space by brand to maintain availability
- By sub brand by sku.
2. Battery sizes blocked horizontally: to help the shopper find the right size
- Size is the first decision criteria when shopping for batteries.
3. Brand blocked vertically to draw attention
- Vertical blocks create discontinuity and attract your eye.
4. Sub Brands blocked together vertically: to help shopper find the category and find their brand
- Average time to locate battery with brand blocking is 8.7secs versus 18.4 secs with hi/low drainage layout (6).
5. Signpost brand in the centre: to help shopper find the category
- The copper and black colours of Duracell are visual clues for the category (7).
6. Display AA cells at eye level
- In volume and value sales AA is the largest size and the format most shoppers associate with the category
7. Merchandise Speciality batteries (coin cells and other specialist cells) and Rechargeable cells and chargers to the sides of the main alkaline section.
- Shoppers navigate the fixture from the alkaline section and expect to find other cells to the sides of this area (8).
IN SMALLER STORES THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS ARE SIZE AND SPACE
1. Stock the core 5 alkaline cell sizes - AAA, AA, 9v C and D. 95% of the battery category unit sales are captured in these 5 core sizes (9).
2. Horizontally block by battery size to help the shopper find the right size.
3. Give adequate space to AA to maintain availability, 52% of the battery category unit sales are AA (10).
Retailer information line: 0800 597 3388
Source: (6) UK Quantitative Shopper Study Nov 09 (7) UK Quantitative shopper groups Dec 08 (8) UK Quantitative shopper groups Dec 08 (9) IRI L52w (10) IRI L52w