The importance of a proper passdown.
It was the perfect winter day in the North Arabian North Arabian may refer to:
- Northern Arabia
- the Old North Arabian languages
- the Arab Adnan tribes
It wasn't long before the part was received, and the night shift began their workday with the usual passdown, or so it seemed at the time. They removed and replaced the relay box. After doing an operational check of the system, they discovered that the downing discrepancy wasn't fixed. Night-check then began to troubleshoot To find out why something does not work and to fix the problem. Troubleshooting a computer often requires determining whether the problem is due to malfunctioning hardware or buggy or out-of-date software. See debug. the system to find the problem. After a closer look at the schematics, we discovered that we had changed the wrong top-deck relay box. We had changed the No. 1 relay box instead of No. 2.
The shop removed the No. 2 box and ordered a new one. By this time, it was early in the morning, and flight operations were about to begin. Because of the problem with the wrong box, the jet was not up for flight operations. It wasn't until later in the morning, about 1100, that the new and correct part was replaced, and the aircraft was returned to full-mission-capable status.
It's common for EA-6B electricians to change the No. 1 relay box but not the No. 2 box. When the electricians saw the gripe gripe
To have sharp pains in the bowels.
1. gripes Sharp, spasmodic pains in the bowels.
2. A firm hold; a grasp. and ordered a replacement, they incorrectly assumed it was the No. 1 component. Our shop had become complacent com·pla·cent
1. Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned: He had become complacent after years of success.
2. Eager to please; complaisant. , and that lax attitude was the key factor in the error. The task was just another routine maintenance discrepancy; however, it didn't turn out to be routine this time. The cost was half a day of missed flights.
How did night-check replace the wrong component? The answer goes beyond complacency com·pla·cen·cy
1. A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.
2. An instance of contented self-satisfaction. ; we did not put a detailed passdown in the logbook. We use various logbooks throughout the Navy and Marine Corps to record important information. Passdown logs are no different. The AEs did a verbal passdown, but we didn't have a written record. The words and message were lost.
What are the learning points here? Approaching the end of deployment, maintainers need to sharpen their focus on seemingly routine tasks so that mistakes are avoided. Use the passdown log and record all the information that is crucial to maintenance and safety, including those items that will help avoid wasted maintenance man-hours and missed sorties. Too many times when a simple log entry is missed, extra work is done that didn't need to occur. Help your shipmates Shipmates was an American syndicated television show that ran for two seasons from 2001 - 2003.
Reruns later ran on the cable channel Spike TV. The show was created by Hurricane Entertainment and the executive producer was John Tomlin. Chris Hardwick was the host. and provide a complete passdown.
AE3 Robert Dubrasky
Petty Officer Dubrasky works in the AE shop at VAQ-141.