The history of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Baylor University Medical Center.
HISTORY OF BAYLOR COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY
In 1903, BUMC began as the Texas Baptist Memorial Sanitarium. In January 1905, Dr. David E. Morrow of St. Louis, Missouri, came to Dallas to establish a dental college. On October 3, 1905, the State Dental College, located on the second floor above a grocery store, at 303-315 Commerce Street in downtown Dallas (where the Adolphus Hotel is located today), opened with an enrollment of 40 students and a tuition of $100 per year. Dean Morrow and 11 faculty members taught classes and laboratories. In the summer of 1909, the State Dental College was moved to 435-437 S. Ervay Street (Figure 1). In the first 12 years, there were 5 deans: Dr. David Morrow (1905-1907, 1908-1909), Dr. Henry Walker (1907-1908), T. G. Bradford (1909-1912), Dr. Fred C. Kingsley (1912-1916), and Bush Jones (1916-1918).
[FIGURE 1 OMITTED]
The State Dental College was a proprietary school, and during World War I, it appeared that all students of unrecognized professional schools, such as the State Dental College, would be drafted into the military service. Therefore, the stockholders sold the school to Baylor University in Waco for $3000. On May 28, 1919, Dr. Joseph S. Wright, from the St. Louis University School of Dentistry, was selected as dean of the newly reorganized Baylor University College of Dentistry, which was relocated to 1420 Hall Street. As part of Baylor University, the instruction of the basic sciences to the dental students was assigned to the faculty at Baylor University College of Medicine in 1919. This interrelationship continued until 1943 when the medical school moved from Dallas to Houston. Since 1943, Baylor College of Dentistry has assumed full responsibility for the dental students in reference to basic science instruction.
From 1923 to 1928, Dr. Athol L. Frew, Sr. (1879-1955) was dean of Baylor University College of Dentistry. He had graduated from the University of Maryland School of Dentistry in 1905, completed a 1-year postgraduate program at the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery in 1906, and moved to Dallas. He joined the faculty at Baylor University College of Dentistry as professor of oral surgery in 1918. As dean, he taught oral surgery to the dental students and also to those in the postgraduate dental internship program. Throughout his professional life, he stayed involved with Baylor, although he also had a private practice. He was president of the American Association of Oral Surgeons in 1933 and was an organizing member of the American Board of Oral Surgery. He was appointed professor of oral surgery at Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1940. His son, Athol L. Frew, Jr. (1916-1981), a graduate of the Baylor University College of Dentistry (1941) and Southwest Medical College (1945), was a well-known oral surgeon, president of the American Board of Oral Surgery in 1962, and, from 1974 through 1981, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery services at the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center.
Dr. Frederick Hinds came from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and served as dean at Baylor from 1928 until his death in 1943. During his tenure, the dental school went through some very difficult times, including the Depression. He was the father of Dr. Edward Hinds, who graduated from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1940 and Baylor University College of Medicine in 1945. Dr. Ed Hinds established one of the first formal oral surgery training programs in the state of Texas in 1949, at the University of Texas Health Science Center School of Dentistry in Houston.
Dr. George L. Powers was a professor at the University of Tennessee Dental School prior to his arrival in Dallas and served as dean at Baylor from 1944 to 1952. In 1949, Baylor University College of Dentistry began the first enrollment in advanced studies in oral surgery, basically a didactic program. A new dental school clinic building was built at 800 Hall Street (the dental school's present location at the corner of Hall Street and Gaston Avenue) and opened for occupancy in 1950, providing clinics for oral surgery and other dental specialties.
Dr. Harry B. McCarthy was a professor and chairman of operative dentistry and superintendent of clinics at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry prior to his appointment as dean at Baylor from 1952 to 1968. He was very active in the development of the dental school to the level it is today. The Caruth School of Dental Hygiene was initiated in 1955. Additional graduate programs were added, and research activities, as well as clinical and classroom space, were expanded. The growth of the programs in the clinical specialty areas required the addition of allied health care institutions, including BUMC, Children's Medical Center, Scottish Rite Hospital, the Veterans Administration Hospital, the Denton State School, and the Dental Health Program of the city of Dallas.
Dr. Kenneth V. Randolph was the dean of the University of West Virginia School of Dentistry prior to his appointment as dean of Baylor from 1968 to 1980. In 1971, the College of Dentistry was separated from Baylor University and Baptist ownership; was reorganized and chartered under a new name, Baylor College of Dentistry; and began operating as a private nonprofit, nonsectarian, independent educational corporation. Boone Powell, Sr., chief executive officer of BUMC, recruited some of Dallas' leading citizens to form the first Baylor College of Dentistry board of trustees. In July 1976, a new 6-level building was completed, as well as renovations of the old building, to create the present structure of the institution (Figure 2). The main entrance to the building and the address were changed to 3302 Gaston Avenue.
[FIGURE 2 OMITTED]
Dr. Richard Bradley served as dean from 1980 to 1990 and completed the last major renovations and additions to the dental college building. Dr. Bradley graduated from the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry in 1952 and received a master's degree in periodontology from the State University of Iowa School of Dentistry in 1958. He was associated with the University of Nebraska from 1959 to 1980, serving the last 12 years as dean. He is an outstanding contributor and leader in the dental profession, serving as president of the American Association of Dental Schools, the American Academy of Periodontology Foundation, the American Fund for Dental Health, and the American College of Dentists. He has received numerous honors, including the 1987 Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry and election to the Nebraska Dental Association Hall of Fame and Baylor College of Dentistry Hall of Fame.
Dr. Dominick Depaola served as president (1990-1997) and dean (1990-1996) at Baylor College of Dentistry. He received his DDS degree from the New York University School of Dentistry in 1969. He earned a PhD in nutritional biochemistry and metabolism at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has held other deanships, including that of the dental school at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1983-1988) and the dental school at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (1988-1990). In 1996, Baylor College of Dentistry became part of the Texas A&M University System and was renamed Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M University System.
Dr. Richard Buchanan followed as dean from 1997 to 1999. He received his DMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1969. From 1990 to 1996, he served as dean of the dental school at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
Dr. James Cole was appointed dean in 1999 (Figure 3). He received his DDS degree from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1975. From 1981 to 1990, he was director of computer services at the dental school and served in several high-level administrative positions before becoming dean. He was the Baylor College of Dentistry Distinguished Alumnus of 2002 and dentist of the year for the Dallas County Dental Society in 2000.
[FIGURE 3 OMITTED]
Currently at Baylor College of Dentistry, there are 102 graduate students, 359 dental students, 56 dental hygiene students, 131 full-time faculty, 144 part-time faculty, and 19 volunteer faculty. In 1997, Baylor College of Dentistry became the first dental school in the country to receive a flawless accreditation from the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY IN DALLAS
Until the 1920s, it was rare for anyone to specialize only in oral surgery. A dentist might have performed dental restorations and fitted crowns, bridges, and dentures in addition to performing oral surgery. In the early stages of the State Dental College in Dallas, one of the deans, Dr. Athol Frew, Sr., may have been the first in Dallas to limit his practice to oral surgery (Figure 4). Dr. Glenn Hillin (1901-1979), who graduated from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1922 and was Dr. Athol Frew, Sr.'s first dental intern, completed the 1-year dental internship program in 1923 and opened his dental office that same year. Later, he limited his practice to oral surgery. He was associated with both the Baylor and Parkland oral surgery staffs (serving as chief at Baylor from 1951 to 1964) and rallied the Dallas County Dental Society to provide strong support for both. Dr. Sam Brock (1893-1968) graduated from the Atlanta Dental College (later Emory) in 1914 and did postgraduate study in Omaha. He was professor of radiology at Baylor University College of Dentistry from 1923 until 1950 and was president of the American Association of Oral Surgeons in 1945.
[FIGURE 4 OMITTED]
Drs. Jack Addison, John Swanson, A. C. Sloan, and Ray Eubanks were private-practice oral surgeons in Dallas from the late 1920s through the 1960s and were also associated with both Baylor and Parkland. Dr. Jack Addison was a very competent exodontist and dentoalveolar surgeon. Dr. John Swanson did predominantly office work and was probably the first in the area to administer thiopental sodium in the office. Dr. A. C. "Cuffy" Sloan was a very innovative individual back in the 1940s and 1950s. He developed an intraoral saw that could be used for horizontal ramus osteotomies. Dr. Eubanks was one of the early leaders in orthognathic surgery (the correction of jaw deformities) in Texas. From 1956 to 1965, Dr. Robert V. Walker was on the parttime teaching staff at Baylor. In the 1960s, Drs. Robert Londeree, Jr., and William Litle were also on the part-time faculty.
Dr. Phillip Earle Williams (1905-1997) was one of the truly great, nationally recognized oral surgeons of the 20th century. He graduated from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1926. He practiced in Oklahoma for a number of years before moving back to Dallas in 1946 to begin teaching part-time on the oral surgery faculty at the dental college. He also taught at Parkland Hospital and was the chief of the oral surgery service there from 1947 to 1956. Dr. Williams has served as president of the Dallas County Dental Society and Texas Dental Association, vice president of the American Dental Association, president of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2 terms), and president of the American College of Dentists. He was the Texas Dental Association dentist of the year in 1974-1975 and received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1975. The national meeting of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) was dedicated to him in 1979. He received the President's Award of the Texas Dental Association in 1980. He was inducted into the Baylor College of Dentistry Hall of Fame in 1986. His son, Dr. Craig Williams, graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1972 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital in 1976. He practiced with his father until his father's death and continues to enjoy a great practice. He has been on the part-time faculty in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Baylor College of Dentistry since 1978.
Dr. Weldon E. Bell (1910-1990) graduated from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1934 and joined the teaching staff at the college as the clinical head of the Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Diagnosis. In 1935, he joined the Parkland Hospital staff. He did his preceptor training in oral surgery with Dr. Athol Frew, Sr., from 1934 to 1940. The two operated together as a team at Baylor University Hospital, Children's Hospital, Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children, and old Parkland Hospital. Dr. Bell was another giant in our field, particularly with the publication of his two books, TMJ Disorders and Orofacial Pains. He helped introduce the intellectual and research aspects into the Dallas training programs.
Dr. Robert V. Walker, an international leader of oral and maxillofacial surgery in Dallas, graduated from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1947 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Parkland Memorial Hospital in 1956. He was professor of surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas from 1956 to 1984. He developed one of the top training programs in the country. He is past president of many organizations, including the AAOMS, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, and American Trauma Society. He has received many awards, including distinguished service awards from the Texas Dental Association (2003), American Trauma Society (1992), and AAOMS (1981); the William J. Gies Foundation Award in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (1976); and the Robert V. Walker Chair in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas (1992). The annual meeting of the AAOMS was dedicated to him in 1987, and he was elected to the Baylor College of Dentistry Hall of Fame in 1999. He was appointed professor emeritus of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas in 1997. He also served on the Baylor College of Dentistry Oral Health Foundation board of trustees.
Dr. D. Lamar Byrd (1922-1999) was a graduate of the University of Texas Houston Dental Branch and completed his oral surgery residency training at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Florida. He came to Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1951 and was appointed chairman of oral surgery. He served as chairman of the BUMC Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from 1965 to 1984. Early on, he arranged with the military to take a number of its oral surgery trainees for an academic year in the basic sciences and clinical experience. Dr. Byrd established a joint working relationship with BUMC to train oral surgeons, and the first oral surgery resident completed the formal 3-year program in 1963. Dr. Byrd continued on as chief of the program until 1984, when he entered private practice. As chairman, he was involved with the training of 27 residents.
Dr. Albert Staples graduated from the Parkland oral surgery program in 1958 and joined the full-time faculty with Dr. Byrd from 1958 to 1970. He was appointed chairman of oral surgery at the University of Oklahoma from 1970 to 1981.
Dr. Byrd brought two of his former residents onto the staff: Dr. John Allen (1967-1982) and Dr. Arlet Dunsworth (1973-1982). They provided excellent guidance and training for the oral surgery residents. They initiated a strong working relationship with the orthodontic department, establishing a strong presence in the community for orthognathic surgery. In 1982, Drs. Allen and Dunsworth entered private practice. They have both maintained their relationship with BUMC. Dr. John Allen developed the largest group private practice in Dallas with the addition of Dr. Colin Bell (no relation to Dr. Weldon Bell or Dr. William Bell) in 1984, Dr. Maxwell Finn in 1997, Dr. William Walstad in 1999, and Dr. Douglas Dingwerth in 2001. BUMC remains the group's primary hospital. Dr. Colin Bell has served 6 years on the advisory committee of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Max Finn was the first resident to complete the dual degree (DDS, MD) program through Baylor College of Dentistry and its affiliation with Texas Tech Medical School.
Two important faculty members in the undergraduate clinic were Dr. Blaise J. Cosentino (full-time, 1977-1989; part-time, 1989-2001) and Dr. Kenneth Bass (full-time, 1979-1985; part-time, 1985-2003), who taught the dental students and residents. Oral surgeons on the part-time undergraduate faculty during Dr. Byrd's tenure included Dr. James Clayton (1978-1982), Dr. Craig Williams (1978-present), and Dr. Barry Fromm (1980-1987).
In 1975, the name of the specialty of oral surgery was changed to oral and maxillofacial surgery to more comprehensively include the broad scope of practice.
In 1983, Dr. Larry M. Wolford joined the staffs of BUMC and Baylor College of Dentistry as a professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery (1983-1987). He received his DMD degree from Temple University School of Dentistry in 1969 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital in 1973. He was on the full-time teaching staff for 10 years at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth (1973-1983), an affiliate hospital of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital. He was the director of the Fort Worth Cleft Palate Program (1973-1983) and assistant director of the Center for Correction of Dentofacial Deformities (1973-1983). Dr. Wolford opened his private office in the Sammons Tower at BUMC in 1987 and was appointed full-time clinical professor in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Baylor College of Dentistry. He has published >150 articles, prepared and published >100 scientific abstracts, written 19 book chapters, coauthored 2 textbooks, coedited 1 textbook, and produced 7 surgical movies. He is the youngest oral and maxillofacial surgeon to receive the AAOMS' William J. Gies Award (1990) for major contributions to oral and maxillofacial surgery and is the youngest and first recipient of the William F. Harrigan Award (1981) for major contributions to the specialty. He served 6 years on the AAOMS Annual Scientific Sessions Committee and was general chairman for 2 years. He served 6 years on the advisory committee of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He is internationally known for his pioneering contributions, research, and patient care in temporomandibular joint (TMJ) surgery, orthognathic surgery, airway obstruction and sleep apnea, cleft lip/palate surgery, craniofacial surgery, and microneurosurgery. Since 1985, he has been the sponsor and director of the oral and maxillofacial surgery fellowship program at Baylor College of Dentistry and BUMC, the only fellowship program in the country to specialize in orthognathic and TMJ surgery, and he has trained 20 fellows and >80 residents. He is involved in clinical and basic research, and his studies have led to 3 Food and Drug Administration -approved devices, including synthetic bone grafts for facial reconstruction, total joint prostheses for the jaw joints, and an anchoring system for reconstruction of the TMJ.
Dr. Daniel Waite graduated from the University of Iowa Dental School in 1953, completed his oral surgery training at the University of Iowa in 1955, served as chairman of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry from 1967 to 1984, and was appointed chairman of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Baylor College of Dentistry from 1984 through 1991. He was also chairman of BUMC's Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from 1985 to 1989. He has published 102 articles, 12 book chapters, and a book on oral and maxillofacial surgery for dental students, in its third edition. His son, Dr. Peter Waite, is the current chairman of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Alabama School of Dentistry.
Former oral and maxillofacial surgery full-time faculty members who were in the department between 1984 to 1991 but are no longer on the staff include Drs. Donald Chiles (1984-1986); Matthew J. Roszkowski (1988-1992); Jeffrey Rajchel (1985-1987); Stephen Milam (1982-1986; 1992-1993), currently chairman of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Texas Dental Branch, San Antonio; and Wayne Triplett (1989-1990, no relation to Dr. R. Gilbert Triplett). The part-time undergraduate faculty during Dr. Waite's tenure included Dr. Steve Kolb (1987-1988, 1990-1997) and Dr. James Bates (1986-2000).
Dr. Richard Harper was a member of the Baylor College of Dentistry full-time faculty from 1994 to 1999. His primary areas of interest were TMJ management and research, and he added an important dimension to the program. Dr. Roger Throndson was on the full-time faculty from 1997 to 2000, teaching dental students and residents. In 2000, he was appointed program director of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston.
Dr. Jack Bolton graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1962; attended 1 year of the oral surgery program at Baylor College of Dentistry, receiving his master's degree in 1963; completed 3 years of oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital in 1966; and has been in private practice in Dallas since then. He was on the part-time teaching faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry from 1975 to 1995. His most significant contribution to our specialty was establishing and directing the development and continued function of the AAOMS National Insurance Company, providing malpractice insurance specifically to oral and maxillofacial surgeons. This project was initiated and the company incorporated in 1980, and the company has been very successful. Dr. Bolton was president and chairman of the board from 1987 to 2000. He also served on the Texas State Dental Board from 1983 to 1989 (president, 1987-1989).
In 1991, Dr. R. Gilbert Triplett was appointed chairman of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Baylor College of Dentistry; he took on leadership at BUMC the following year. Dr. Triplett has developed a program that is considered one of the very best in the country and is highly recognized internationally. He graduated from Loyola University School of Dentistry in 1963 and received a PhD in physiology and biophysics from Georgetown University in 1982. He served in the navy with a very distinguished career. He was heavily involved in research, particularly combat casualty care. He directed the resident training program in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Naval Hospital in San Diego from 1982 to 1984. From 1984 through 1991, he was professor and director of the graduate education department of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Since 1991, he has been professor and chairman of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pharmacology at Baylor College of Dentistry. He is the director of hospital affairs at Baylor College of Dentistry and received the Regent Professor Service Award from the Texas A&M University System in 1998. He established the 6-year, dual degree (DDS, MD) oral and maxillofacial surgery training program in 1997, with the assistance and cooperation of Texas Tech Medical School in Lubbock, Texas. He has >100 publications and has written 12 book chapters. He is internationally known for his work in maxillofacial procedures involved with dental implantology.
Dr. Sterling Robert Schow graduated from the University of Oregon Dental School in 1966 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio in 1973. After a 4-year assignment in Seoul, Korea, he was appointed chief of the oral and maxillofacial service and department of dentistry at Brooke Army Medical Center from 1977 to 1981. He then completed his military service as chief of dentistry and director of residency training at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington, from 1981 to 1986. Since 1986, he has served as director of residency training at Baylor College of Dentistry and BUMC, and he was promoted to full professor in 1992. He served 6 years on the advisory committee of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has published >40 papers and written 16 book chapters. He has served on several journal advisory boards. He has received many awards and medals, particularly from his military service. His superb directorship and leadership for the oral and maxillofacial surgery graduate training program has developed one of the best programs in the country (Figure 5). His primary areas of interest are facial trauma, pathology, reconstructive surgery, and orthognathic surgery.
[FIGURE 5 OMITTED]
Dr. William Bell (no relation to Dr. Weldon Bell or Dr. Colin Bell) graduated from St. Louis University School of Dentistry in 1954 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at M. D. Anderson Hospital in Houston in 1956. He then joined the faculty at the University of Texas Dental Branch/School of Dentistry, Houston from 1956 through 1972. During that time, he completed some of his landmark research in the subspecialty field of orthognathic surgery. He performed revascularization animal studies that validated the effectiveness of many of the surgical procedures used in the specialty. From 1972 to 1992, he was on the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, where he continued his research and writing. From 1992 to 2002, he was on the staff as professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Baylor College of Dentistry and BUMC. He has made many significant contributions to our specialty with research, publications, and teaching. He has published 150 papers and edited two 3-volume textbooks on oral and maxillofacial surgery. He has been the recipient of the AAOMS' Research Award (1977) and William J. Gies Award (1984) for major contributions to oral and maxillofacial surgery. He is internationally known for his work, predominantly in the field of orthognathic surgery and more recently in distraction osteogenesis. His son, Brian, completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training at the University of North Carolina in 2002 and a 1-year fellowship in head and neck surgery at the University of Oregon (2003) and has joined the staff of that institution.
The full-time oral and maxillofacial surgery faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry currently includes Drs. R. Gilbert Triplett (chairman), Sterling R. Schow (program director), Uwe Frohberg, Roger Alexander (director of the undergraduate program), Pedro Franco, and David Grogan. Dr. Larry Wolford is clinical professor in the department. The part-time faculty includes Drs. Craig Williams (1978), David Phillips (1989), Colin Bell (1989), Larry Stewart (1993), Dennis Youngblood (1995), Pamela Moore (1996), Miro Pavelka (2000), Thad Taylor (2000), Ramsey Fanous (2000), Carlos Morales (2002), and Larry Wilson (2002).
Dr. Uwe Frohberg graduated from the University of Lubeck School of Medicine in 1980 and the University of Dusseldorf School of Dentistry in 1985. He did 3 years of oral and maxillofacial surgery training at Krankenhaus Bethesda, Monchengladbach, Germany, with major emphasis on cancer surgery and reconstruction, cleft lip/palate, trauma, and cosmetic surgery. He then came to the USA and completed his training at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in 1989. In 1994, he joined the Baylor College of Dentistry part-time faculty, but in 1999, he became a full-time associate professor. He has 33 publications and has published 1 book. His primary areas of interest are facial cosmetic surgery and trauma. He provides significant training for the residents in these and other areas.
Dr. Pedro Franco is originally from Columbia and graduated from the Universidad Javeriana School of Dentistry in Bogata, Columbia, in 1991. He completed his 3-year oral and maxillofacial surgery training at the same university in 1994. He then finished a 2-year fellowship program in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago in 1996, with a strong emphasis on maxillofacial reconstruction and head and neck cancer surgery. He then completed the 1-year oral and maxillofacial surgery fellowship program at BUMC and Baylor College of Dentistry with Dr. Larry Wolford in 1997. He returned home to Columbia to practice but came back to Dallas in 2000 to join the oral and maxillofacial surgery full-time faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry. He has published 10 papers and 20 scientific abstracts. In 1996 and again in 1998, his scientific abstracts won first prize at the annual meeting of the AAOMS. His primary areas of interest include orthognathic surgery, TMJ surgery, craniofacial surgery, cleft lip and palate surgery, and cosmetic surgery. He has been a tremendous asset to the program.
Dr. Roger Alexander was recruited from his 26-year military practice by Dr. Daniel Waite, joined the faculty as director of undergraduate surgical education in 1990, and was promoted to full professor in 2000. Under his guidance, the predoctoral surgical curriculum has become a national leader in undergraduate teaching innovations and is now generally recognized as one of the top predoctoral surgical curriculums in the USA. He serves as peer reviewer for 5 dental journals and has authored >55 publications and written 4 book chapters. He is a member of the National Board Part II Test Construction Committee of the American Dental Association, serves as a Texas regional faculty member for basic life support for the Texas Heart Association, and is coordinator of Baylor's American Heart Association cardiopulmonary resuscitation training center. He received his dental degree from Marquette University School of Dentistry in 1964 and completed his oral surgery training at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Philadelphia. In the military at Camp Pendleton, he was director of the general practice residency (1982-1986), head of the dental department and chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery (1982-1987), and chief of surgery at the Naval Hospital (1986-1987).
Dr. David Grogan graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1981 and completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery residency at Baylor in 1986. He was in private practice for 14 years in Waco, Texas, and joined the full-time faculty at Baylor College of Dentistry in 2000. His primary responsibility is teaching the predoctoral students and residents, and he has contributed significantly to both of these programs.
The oral and maxillofacial surgeons currently on the BUMC staff include Drs. Gilbert Triplett, Sterling Schow, Larry Wolford, Uwe Frohberg, Pedro Franco, Roger Alexander, David Grogan, John Allen, Colin Bell, Arlet Dunsworth, Maxwell Finn, William Walstad, Douglas Dingwerth, Ramsey Fanous, Craig Williams, Carlos Morales-Ryan, David Banta, Douglas Sinn (chairman of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital), Chris Bohmfalk, Robert Cooper, Richard Harper, Miro Pavelka, Daniel Waite, Robert V. Walker, and Christine Coke (Table 1). The chairmen of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at BUMC are pictured in Figure 6.
[FIGURE 6 OMITTED]
The history of oral and maxillofacial surgery at BUMC and Baylor College of Dentistry has been ongoing since the early 1900s. Today, the oral and maxillofacial surgery training program, under the leadership of Drs. Gil Triplett and Sterling Schow, is considered one of the premier programs in the country. During the past 5 years, the department has averaged approximately 10 to 12 publications in refereed journals per year. To date, 52 oral and maxillofacial surgery residents and 19 fellows have completed the training program, and there are currently 17 residents and 1 fellow in training (Tables 2 and 3).
The strengths of the Baylor oral and maxillofacial surgery training program include the following areas:
* Basic oral and maxillofacial surgery procedures
* Oral pathology
* Orthognathic surgery
* TMJ surgery
* Reconstructive surgery
* Cosmetic surgery
* Osseointegrated implants
Baylor's program in oral and maxillofacial surgery is internationally known and considered a leader in many of these fields. This has been made possible by the strong support of Baylor College of Dentistry, BUMC, the leadership of the past and present chairmen, as well as the many other oral and maxillofacial surgeons who have dedicated their time, effort, and knowledge to make this program one of the best.
Schow C Jr. History of the Southwest Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Galveston: University of Texas Medical Branch, 1995.
Hayward JR, Alling CC, Devlin DH, Moles BN. The building of a specialty: oral and maxillofacial surgery in the United States. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1989;47(Supp 2):1-271.
Baylor College of Dentistry archives.
Baylor University Medical Center staff archives.
Personal curriculum vitae.
From the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Baylor College of Dentistry and Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas.
Historical articles published in Proceedings will be reprinted in How We Care, volume 2. Readers who have any additional information, artifacts, photographs, or documents related to the historical articles are asked to forward such information to the Proceedings' editorial office for possible inclusion in the book version. Corresponding author: Larry M. Wolford, DMD, 3409 Worth Street, Suite 400, Dallas, Texas 75246 (e-mail: email@example.com).
Table 1. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons currently or previously on the staff of Baylor University Medical Center, since records were kept from 1951 Addison, John J. ([dagger]) 1951-1991 Alexander, Roger E. * 1990- Allen, John W. ** 1967- Banta, David M. * 1986- Bass, Kenneth D. 1981-1990 Bates, James D. 1986-2003 Bell, Colin S. ** 1984- Bell, Weldon E. ([dagger]) 1955-1990 Bell, William H. 1992-2002 Bohmfalk, Chris F. * 1982- Bolton, L. Jack 1966-2000 Brock, Sam H. ([dagger]) 1955-1962 Byrd, D. Lamar ([dagger]) 1951-1999 Chiles, Donald G. 1984-1995 Clayton, James B. 1970-1982 Coke, Christine J. * 2002- Cooper, Robert L. * 1985- Cummings, Michael 1977-1982 Dingwerth, Douglas J. ** 2002- Dunsworth, Arlet R. ** 1975- Eatmon, Robert R. 1974-1983 Eubanks, Ray J. ([dagger]) 1955-1970 Fanous, Ramsey N. ** 1999- Fields, Arthur W. 1990-1995 Finn, Maxwell D. ** 1997- Franco, Pedro R. ** 2000- Frohberg, Uwe K. ** 1994- Fromm, Barry S. ([dagger]) 1980-1987 Gaither, William D. 1966-1989 Grogan, David M. * 2000- Harper, Richard P. * 1994- Hillin, Glenn R. ([dagger]) 1951-1978 Jackson, Leete, Ill ([dagger]) 1974-1997 Jackson, William K. 1974-1989 Johnson, Gladys L. 1981-1991 Kolb, Steven F. 1987-2000 Litle, William E. 1965-1990 Londeree, Robert D., Jr. 1965-1991 Milam, Stephen B. 1992-2000 Morales-Ryan, Carlos A. * 2002- Pavelka, Miro A. * 1981- Puckett, James E. ([dagger]) 1966-1983 Rajchel, Jeffery L. 1985-1987 Roszkowski, Matthew J. 1988-1992 Schow, Sterling R. ** 1986- Sinn, Douglas P. * 1983- Sloan, Alvan C. ([dagger]) 1955-1958 Staples, Albert F. 1961-1968 Sutton, Craig S. 1978-1982 Svane, Todd J. 1989-2000 Swanson, John R. ([dagger]) 1952-1955 Throndson, Roger R. 1997-2000 Tiner, Richard T. 1980-1995 Triplett, R. Gilbert ** 1991- Waite, Daniel E. * 1984- Walker, Robert V. * 1957- Walstad, William R. ** 1999- White, R. Dean 1992-2003 Williams, Craig E. * 1976- Williams, P. Earle ([dagger]) 1956-1987 Wilson, R. Lawrence 1981-1983 Wolford, Larry M. ** 1983- ** Active staff member * On the staff but inactive ([dagger]) Deceased Table 2. Oral and maxillofacial surgery alumni and residents at Baylor University Medical Center and Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M University System Eugene Johnson (1963) * Jack Bolton (1963) Martin Pilgrim, Jr. (1963) Myles Cogan (1964) Stephen Curtis (1965) William Gaither (1966) John Allen (1967) Denton DeWitt (1968) James Fricke (1969) Roy Kindrick (1970) James Holton (1971) William Thornton (1972) Arlet Dunsworth (1973) Barry Cunningham (1974) Jerry Jones (1975) Mike Cummings (1976) Allen Neece (1977) David Sibley (1978) Ronald Redus (1979) Richard Tiner (1980) Miro Pavelka, Jr. (1981) Fred Voorhees (1982) Gary Schwarz (1983) Colin Bell (1984) Robert Cooper (1985) David Grogan (1986) Steve Kolb (1987) Brian Smith (1988) Todd Svane (1989) Arthur Fields (1990) Steve Nelson (1991) Lance Read (1992) Scott Bolding (1993) Steve Stein (1994) Julie Becker (1995) Jim Solomon (1995) Michael Ellis (1996) Jerry Holbrook (1996) Maxwell Finn (1997) William Walstad (1999) Carina Schwartz-Dabney (2000) Theodore Fields (2000) Joel Hopkins (2001) Douglas Dingwerth (2001) Van Parker (2002) Christine Coke (2002) Michael Downey (2002) Adam Andrews (2003) William Phillips (2003) Rex Cockrell (2004) Jason Pavelka (2004) James Mazock (2004) Reena Talwar (2004) Garrett Nelson (2005) Jeffery Simmons (2005) Michael Gissell (2006) Michael Ray (2006) Curt Cain (2007) Brian Stone (2007) Brian Hutto (2007) Russell Cunningham (2008) Scott Warren (2008) Gilbert Selkin (2009) Thomas Draper (2009) International residents: Sajjad Khan (1994) Panos Kassaris (1995) Marianela Gonzalez (2000) Panos Sennis (2005) * Year in parenthesis indicates year of graduation from the program. Table 3. Fellows in oral and maxillofacial surgery at Baylor University Medical Center and Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M Universitv Svstem Raphael Flores (1984) * Jeffery M. Hartog (1985) Robert Wardrop (1986) Saba Kalamchi (1987) John Moenning (1988) Peter Chemello (1989) Michael E. Fox (1990) Mark Kortebein (1991) Charles H. Henry (1992) David A. Cottrell (1993) Spiro C. Karras (1994) Luis E. Cardenas (1995) Oscar Reiche-Fischel (1996) Pedro F. Franco (1997) Marcos Pitta (1998) Rogerio Z. Freitas (1999) Pushkar Mehra (2000) Carlos Morales-Ryan (2001) Eber Stevao (2 years) (2003) Joao Goncalves (2004) * Year in parentheses indicates year of graduation from the program.