The doll maker: Cozbi Cabrera breaks the mold.Her one-of-a-kind-kind creations are made of cloth detailed with beading beading,
n the scribing of a shallow groove (less than 0.5 mm in width or depth) on a cast that outlines the major connector. It is used to transfer the design to the investment cast and ensure tissue contact of the major connector. , paint, and hand-rolled hems. Her ideas come "from the heart and hand, which take shape and show up as a doll." It's how 41-year-old Cozbi A. Cabrera describes her passion for a craft to which she's been devoted full time for seven years. Last May, as she found business increasing Cabrera moved her home-based business into a Brooklyn boutique that now publicly cases her craft.
A former art director who worked on the imaging and packaging of album covers for artists at Lop record labels, Cabrera enjoyed sewing as little girl. "I've always been drawn to things that are done very well and with integrity." So does her clientele, which Cabrera has learned tells info two categories: the collector and the consumer. The former, according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. Cabrera, "will purchase [a doll] and cherish [it]." The collector presents a different psyche. "I find the doll collector atypical atypical /atyp·i·cal/ (-i-k'l) irregular; not conformable to the type; in microbiology, applied specifically to strains of unusual type.
adj. ," she explains. They tend to be art collectors in addition to having insatiable appetites for new dolls. "They are also very loyal and become advocates. And with great enthusiasm. they bring their friends."
There are no rules for becoming a doll collector. "People respond to what's going on What's Going On is a record by American soul singer Marvin Gaye. Released on May 21, 1971 (see 1971 in music), What's Going On reflected the beginning of a new trend in soul music. inside of them. It realty is personal." Cabrera recommends reading publications such as Antique Doll Collector magazine and attending craft shows, which have stringent guidelines for doll submissions. Among the more notable trade shows are The American Concern lot Artistry art·ist·ry
1. Artistic ability: a sculptor of great artistry.
2. Artistic quality or craft: the artistry of a poem. and Craftsmanship (973-746-0091). The American Arts American art, the art of the North American colonies and of the United States. There are separate articles on American architecture, North American Native art, pre-Columbian art and architecture, Mexican art and architecture, Spanish colonial art and architecture, & Crafts Alliance Inc. (212-866-2239), and Art-rider Productions Inc. (www.artrider. com). Visit Cabrera at www.cozbi.com