The Science of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.9781403945778
The science of The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
It has to be said that there was actually quite a bit less science in the Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy than in many other science fiction novels. What was in the books, however, were a number of whimsical whim·si·cal
1. Determined by, arising from, or marked by whim or caprice. See Synonyms at arbitrary.
2. Erratic in behavior or degree of unpredictability: a whimsical personality. and frequently silly ideas sending up the science fiction genre
A science fiction genre is a division (genre) of science fiction. Science fiction may further be divided along any number of overlapping axes. that are likely to still resonate res·o·nate
v. res·o·nat·ed, res·o·nat·ing, res·o·nates
1. To exhibit or produce resonance or resonant effects.
2. with the novel's legions of fans. Hanlon (science editor at the Daily Mail, UK) uses a number of these ideas to explicate for a general audience some basic scientific ideas. For instance, the last thought of the poor whale called into existence in the middle of the air by the Infinite Improbability im·prob·a·bil·i·ty
n. pl. im·prob·a·bil·i·ties
1. The quality or condition of being improbable.
2. Something improbable.
Noun 1. Drive--"And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round it needs a big, wide-sounding name like...ow...ound...round...ground! That's it! That's a good name--ground. I wonder if it will be friends with me?"--is used as an opening to a discussion of the nature of probability. Other topics include the possibility of alien life, the cosmology cosmology, area of science that aims at a comprehensive theory of the structure and evolution of the entire physical universe. Modern Cosmological Theories
of the beginning and end of the universe, time travel, computing computing - computer , the existence of god, machine translation, and genetic engineering.
([c]20062005 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR)