The JBS leads the way: the organization created by Robert Welch is still in capable hands, accomplishing the seemingly impossible and providing hope that America can be saved.It is not unusual for an organization created and led by a strong leader to flounder flounder: see flatfish.
Any of about 300 species of flatfishes (order Pleuronectiformes). When born, the flounder is bilaterally symmetrical, with an eye on each side, and it swims near the sea's surface. and die after the leader's death. But that did not happen to The John Birch Society John Birch Society, ultraconservative, anti-Communist organization in the United States. It was founded in Dec., 1958, by manufacturer Robert Welch and named after John Birch, an American intelligence officer killed by Communists in China (Aug., 1945). when its founder, Robert Welch Robert Welch may refer to:
The JBS JBS John Birch Society
JBS Journal of Biosocial Science
JBS Journal of Business Strategies
JBS Johnson Behavioral System
JBS Johanson-Blizzard Syndrome
JBS Journal of British Studies
JBS Jamaica Bureau of Standards
JBS Journal of Biomolecular Screening has had the same leadership team since 1991, with Chief Executive Officer G. Vance Smith at the helm. That team has stayed the course, adhering to the same fundamental principles that Mr. Welch had established for the organization. Consequently, the organization has acquired new strength, and JBS members have won some significant victories. We present several examples in the following pages.
* Impeaching President Clinton: in November 1997, two months before the Monica Lewinsky Monica Samille Lewinsky (born July 23, 1973) is an American woman with whom the former United States President Bill Clinton admitted (after initially denying) to having had an "inappropriate relationship" while Lewinsky worked at the White House in 1995 and 1996. scandal broke, the JBS launched its campaign to "Impeach To accuse; to charge a liability upon; to sue. To dispute, disparage, deny, or contradict; as in to impeach a judgment or decree, or impeach a witness; or as used in the rule that a jury cannot impeach its verdict. Clinton Now!" through a nationwide network of A.C.T.I.O.N. (Activate Congress to Improve Our Nation) ad hoc committees ad hoc committee A committee formed with the purpose of addressing a specific issue or issues, which theoretically is disbanded once its raison d'etre is finished . The campaign focused on Clinton's compromise of national security in exchange for Chinese cash as the principal reason for impeachment impeachment, formal accusation issued by a legislature against a public official charged with crime or other serious misconduct. In a looser sense the term is sometimes applied also to the trial by the legislature that may follow. . Although Clinton was eventually impeached for transgressions related to the Lewinsky scandal Lewinsky scandal (ləwĭn`skē), sensation that enveloped the presidency of Bill Clinton in 1998–99, leading to his impeachment by the U.S. House of Representatives and acquittal by the Senate. , he probably would not have been impeached at all if the Society had not gotten the impeachment ball rolling in the first place. As the liberal Washington Post--no friend of the JBS--pointed out shortly before the House impeachment vote, "[The success of] leaders of the John Birch Society ... is a demonstration of how a determined and ideologically committed group can change the course of history...."
Of course, naysayers are quick to point out that although the House impeached Bill Clinton, the Senate failed to remove him from office. They ignore that President Clinton was only the second president (and the first elected president) to be impeached in U.S. history. Just as they ignore the powerful signal that Clinton's impeachment sent to Clinton or any other president who abuses or usurps power. It is now crystal clear that Congress will move to put the brakes on presidential transgressions if they are pressured to do so by informed voters.
* Torpedoing Clinton's nomination of Anthony Lake Anthony Lake (born April 2, 1939 in New York City) was the National Security Advisor under US President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1997. Lake is credited with developing the policy that led to the resolution of the Bosnian War. He is currently a faculty member at the Edmund A. : President Clinton's 1996 nomination of Anthony Lake for director of the Central Intelligence Agency Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (D/CIA) serves as the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is part of the United States Intelligence Community. He reports to the Director of National Intelligence (DNI). was a particularly shocking and audacious step. Lake, after all, has an extensive subversive background, including longtime connections to the Soviet-linked Institute for Policy Studies. Putting him in charge of the CIA CIA: see Central Intelligence Agency.
(1) (Confidentiality Integrity Authentication) The three important concerns with regards to information security. Encryption is used to provide confidentiality (privacy, secrecy). is like having the fox guard the chicken coop.
Sensing an opportunity to stop this Clinton outrage, THE NEW AMERICAN published a cover story exposing Lake's background, and JBS members used both the article and documentation packets to alert key representatives and senators. The nomination was soon scuttled. But not before an op-ed by Douglas Brinkley in the New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of Times complained: "[T]he John Birch Society and other anti-government fringe groups launched a smear campaign.... In an error-ridden article in The New American ... William F. Jasper ... found a pattern of anti-Americanism.... The diatribe di·a·tribe
A bitter, abusive denunciation.
[Latin diatriba, learned discourse, from Greek diatrib would not be worth mentioning except that its ludicrous charges have been picked up, in slightly milder fashion, by mainstream conservative publications like The Washington Times...." Not surprisingly, Brinkley did not bother citing any of the supposed errors.
* Preserving the Constitution: Over the last two decades, the JBS has led the fight to block the call for a modern-day constitutional convention. Such a convention could not be limited to a specific purpose, but could propose wholesale constitutional changes including an entirely new Constitution. In 1983, 32 (of the required 34) states had called on Congress to convene a constitutional convention, ostensibly os·ten·si·ble
Represented or appearing as such; ostensive: His ostensible purpose was charity, but his real goal was popularity. to draft a balanced budget amendment Balanced Budget Amendment is any one of various proposed amendments to the United States Constitution which would require a balance in the projected revenues and expenditures of the United States government. . But because of the Birch campaign launched the following year, seven states have since withdrawn their convention applications, reducing the number to 25.
The JBS also blocked a back-door approach to a constitutional convention through a proposed "Conference of the States" (COS). This project was proposed in 1994 by then-Utah Governor Mike Leavitt, after it became obvious that the open approach to a constitutional convention was floundering. The Birch campaign to derail de·rail
intr. & tr.v. de·railed, de·rail·ing, de·rails
1. To run or cause to run off the rails.
2. the COS by presenting the game plan to state legislators was so successful that the Salt Lake Tribune reported that in "a span of just weeks, the John Birch Society has heaved the conference locomotive off-track."
* Exposing the OKC OKC Oklahoma City
OKC OK Computer (name of a Radiohead album)
OKC Oklahoma City, OK, USA - Will Rogers World Airport (Airport Code)
OKC Ohlone Kids' Club (Palo Alto, CA) bombing: During the months and years following the 1995 Oklahoma City terrorist attack, THE NEW AMERICAN published a series of articles pointing to compelling evidence of government prior knowledge, multiple bombs inside the Murrah Building, other conspirators CONSPIRATORS. Persons guilty of a conspiracy. See 3 Bl. Com. 126-71 Wils. Rep. 210-11. See Conspiracy. in addition to Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols, and a Mideast connection. JBS members widely distributed these articles.
In 1998, then-Oklahoma state Representative Charles Key complimented this magazine's investigative effort when he noted: "THE NEW AMERICAN magazine has, and continues to be, the best source for accurate reporting about the bombing.... Most of the credit for keeping the public informed, in the midst Adv. 1. in the midst - the middle or central part or point; "in the midst of the forest"; "could he walk out in the midst of his piece?"
midmost of a mainstream media blackout, goes to THE NEW AMERICAN and investigative reporter William Jasper. Your dedication to this story has become a part of history. I believe history will show that a relatively small group of conscientious citizens can succeed, against seemingly insurmountable odds, in bringing the truth to light."
* Getting the U.S. out of the UN: The JBS has campaigned to "Get US out!" of the United Nations for decades--erecting billboards, informing the public, and (during the 1970s and '80s) collecting over 11 million signatures on petitions to Congress to terminate our UN membership. But the campaign entered a new phase in 2001, when the JBS launched its Get US out! committees, making it easier for JBS members and nonmembers alike to work together on the specific objective of getting the U.S. out of the sovereignty-destroying UN.
The massive, grass-roots campaign is having a positive effect on Congress. On July 15th of this year, 74 congressmen voted for Ron Paul's amendment to prohibit using any funds in the State Department authorization bill for the United Nations.
* Calling it conspiracy: JBS members continue to expose conspiracy, recognizing that informed Americans will oppose what the would-be rulers of the world have planned for them. Reader activists have pushed the total distribution of this magazine's special "Conspiracy for Global Control" issue to over 600,000 copies. In addition, members have distributed large quantities of other magazines, books, articles, pamphlets, videotapes, etc. Of course, members do not merely purchase these materials for themselves; they also place them in the hands of fellow citizens, request that they read (or view) them, and then follow up for a reaction. They also regularly invite fellow citizens to group video presentations, where the important message of the video, including the solution to the problem, may be discussed.
Because all of these materials are distributed, read, and used as part of a concerted action program to awaken Americans to the conspiratorial con·spir·a·to·ri·al
Of, relating to, or characteristic of conspirators or a conspiracy: a conspiratorial act; a conspiratorial smile. threat to their freedoms, and then to mobilize them in a program of concerted action, the cumulative effect of many years of Birch activism has been tremendous. In 1996 a University of Virginia poll conducted by Gallup detected this cumulative effect when it found, without mentioning the Birch Society, that "three out of four Americans (77 percent) agree with the statement that 'the government is pretty much run by a few big interests looking out for themselves.'" Moreover: "[O]ne quarter of the population do repeatedly express the conviction that the government is run by a conspiracy; and one in ten Americans strongly subscribes to this view."
The success of these and future efforts depends on a member-based organization. Birchers recognize that freedom is everybody's business, and that a majority of congressmen will only do what is needed to restore constitutional government if they receive sufficient pressure to do the right thing from informed voters in their districts. The most fundamental unit of The John Birch Society is the local chapter, and it is through local chapters in towns, hamlets, and cities across the country that the fight for America must be won. Those chapters receive direction from both a professional field staff and headquarters, but it is the organized, concerted action of informed Americans from all walks of life that ultimately will make the difference. Put simply, if America is to be saved, it is informed and involved citizens who will do the saving.
The organization for saving America already exists; all that is needed for it to accomplish that Herculean task is more willing hands.