Teens and smoking.
TEENS AND SMOKING This chart provides some of the results of a recent smoking-related survey of U.S. teenagers. Study it, then answer the following questions. WHAT TEENS THINK ABOUT SMOKING * No Opinion or Agree Disagree Don't Know Chewing tobacco and snuff cause cancer. 95 2 3 I strongly dislike being around smokers. 65 22 13 It's safe to smoke for only a year or two. 7 92 1 Seeing someone smoke turns me off. 67 22 10 Smoking can help you when you're bored. 7 92 1 Smoking helps reduce stress. 21 78 3 Smoking helps you keep your weight down. 18 80 2 * All numbers are percentages. Due to rounding, figures per category may not add up to 100. Source: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1. Considering the chart overall, would you say that most teens approve or disapprove of smoking?
2. To which statement did the largest percentage of teens respond as "No opinion or Don't know"?
-- 3. What percentage of teens might be tempted to smoke if they were dieting?--
4. The greatest percentage of teens agreeing with one of these statements believes what?
5. What was the opinion of 65 out of every I00 teens surveyed?--
6. Ten percent of the teens surveyed neither agreed nor disagreed with which statement?
7. Which of the statements might be made by someone bothered by seeing a favorite actor smoking in a movie?--
8. What percentage of teens would be unlikely to smoke before a big exam?--
9. Every day, about 4,000 kids aged 12 to 17 try their first cigarette. Going by this chart, how many of them may think it is OK to smoke for a short time?
10. With which of the statements do you most strongly agree? Explain.--
2. "I strongly dislike being around smokers."
3. 18 percent
4. that chewing tobacco and using snuff cause cancer
5. "I strongly dislike being around smokers."
6. "Seeing someone smoke turns me off."
7. "Seeing someone smoke turns me off."
8. 78 percent
9. 280 (7 percent of 4,000)
10. Answers will vary.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Nov 28, 2005|
|Previous Article:||A struggle for rights.|
|Next Article:||Uganda: Pearl of Africa.|