Task force makes recommendations about council's functions.The seven-person group of AICPA AICPA
See American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). members appointed in February to study the role and responsibilities of the Institute's governing body Noun 1. governing body - the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he sent its findings to council in September.
As part of its analysis, the task force solicited comments from AICPA members and studied various facets of council's governance and structure, as well as that of five national professional associations it considered similar to the Institute. It also reviewed the AICPA's 1990 Report of the Special Committee on Governance and Structure and staff studies on how state societies elect their council members. At press time, council was scheduled to discuss the report at its fall meeting. Should council adopt the recommendations, it may have to change some of the Institute's bylaws The rules and regulations enacted by an association or a corporation to provide a framework for its operation and management.
Bylaws may specify the qualifications, rights, and liabilities of membership, and the powers, duties, and grounds for the dissolution of an and council resolutions.
Timothy O'Brien Professor Timothy O'Brien, MD PhD is Director of The Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI). The Institute was established in collaboration with National University of Ireland, Galway as a Centre for Science, Engineering & Technology (CSET) and has been supported with funding of of Colorado headed the task force; other members were Theodore Flynn of Massachusetts, Lisa Germano of Virginia, Donald Gursey of California, Jeffrey Hoops of New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of , Mary Kline-Cueter of Michigan and Scott Nelson Scott Nelson (born September 6, 1985) is an American soccer player who currently plays for the Houston Dynamo team in Major League Soccer.
Nelson played four years at Furman University, scoring thirty one goals during his collegiate career and fighting back from a hip injury of Iowa. Five of the group are current or former council members, one never served on council and one is a state society executive director.
These were the task force's recommendations:
* Council members should reaffirm re·af·firm
tr.v. re·af·firmed, re·af·firm·ing, re·af·firms
To affirm or assert again.
re their roles as leaders and trustees of the profession and should sign a statement of responsibilities upon accepting their position.
* Once council has been thoroughly briefed on an issue, has deliberated and acted on it as a body, each member should publicly uphold the view the entire council has endorsed.
* The AICPA board of directors should explore ways to provide council with more timely and comprehensive information, including both pro and con PRO AND CON. For and against. For example, affidavits are taken pro and con. perspectives, on issues under discussion.
* There should be a mechanism for council members--in advance of meetings--to suggest items for board and council agendas.
* New council members should receive more extensive orientation training.
* Council proceedings customarily should include breakout sessions and electronic polling.
* Council should reduce the number of its full meetings from two to one and increase its regional meetings from one to up to three.
* When council is not in session, its members should be able to vote by electronic ballot.
* Every council meeting should have a forum open to all AICPA members, giving them an opportunity to voice their opinions on the Institute and the profession.
* Members of council should receive the briefing binders currently distributed to the board of directors on important issues.
* Council should adopt a resolution urging the state societies to elect their council members through a democratic process that ensures greater diversity in representation.
* To provide an opportunity for more members to serve, a council member's term should be two years, with a maximum of six consecutive years.
* New council members should be elected at the spring meeting and assume their positions on August 1--the first day of the AICPA's fiscal year.
* Attendance at council meetings should be mandatory, and any member who misses three consecutive meetings should forfeit To lose to another person or to the state some privilege, right, or property due to the commission of an error, an offense, or a crime, a breach of contract, or a neglect of duty; to subject property to confiscation; or to become liable for the payment of a penalty, as the result of a the seat.
The report is available at www.aicpa.org/download/members/report_task_force.pdf.