TWO VAN NUYS APARTMENT UNITS BURN.
An electrical short circuit apparently sparked a fire that burned two units of a three-story apartment building Sunday night, fire officials said. No one was injured.
The fire broke out at 5:19 p.m. on the first floor of the building in the 6600 block of North Sylmar Avenue near the intersection with Kittridge Street, said city fire spokesman Jim Wells.
The fire burned and badly damaged the unit in which the fire originated and a van that was parked outside. A unit on the second floor was also burned.
About 70 firefighters extinguished the blaze in about a half hour.
A 2-month-old boy with a pre-existing asthmatic condition suffered minor smoke inhalation and was taken to Valley Presbyterian Hospital in Van Nuys, Wells said.
From the fire emerged one story with a happy ending.
Wells said a 14-year-old girl whose cat was stuck in the burning second floor unit pleaded with firefighters to help save her pet. The cat was later found alive in a corner by firefighters.
``It was in an area where the smoke had not overcome the animal,'' Wells said. ``It was fortunate the cat was alive.''
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)|
|Date:||Feb 1, 1999|
|Previous Article:||HIGH-TECH BURGLARS HIT BANKS; COMPUTERS TAKEN IN RECENT BREAK-INS.|
|Next Article:||BRIEFLY : TWOSOME TIES, ROBS SHERMAN OAKS MAN.|