TEENS SAVE THE EARTH.
But as you'll see in Science World's sixth annual Environmental Almanac, many teens are tackling environmental problems--from air pollution to endangered species. They're making a big difference--and so can you! Just in time for Earth Day '99 (April 22), the "activists" featured in each article share their creative solutions for protecting Earth.
How much do you know about the environment? Take our Enviro-Quiz, then hunt for the correct answers as you check out the articles, maps, graphs, and charts throughout the magazine.
ENVIRO-QUIZ Circle the correct answer.
Wildlife Habitats (pp. 6-8)
1. Habitat refers to a a. place to live and grow. b. zoo. c. vacation party spot. d. both a and c.
2. Which of the following is the biggest threat to animals living in the wild today? a. pollution b. hunting and poaching c. habitat destruction d. disease
Composting (pp. 9-11)
3. Composting is a way of a. programming a computer. b. recycling food into fertilizer. c. cleaning up a beach or lake. d. writing new music.
4. Food scraps make up -- percent of the nation's waste. a. 5 b. 10 c. 50 d. 90
Air Pollution (pp. 12-14)
5. Which of the following pollutes the air? a. carbon monoxide b. ozone c. carbon dioxide d. all of the above
6. Cars produce -- percent of all air pollution in the United States. a. 10 b. 35 c. 60 d. 95
Rainforests (pp. 15-17)
7. Temperate rainforests in British Columbia, Canada, are disappearing at a rate of 15 truckloads an hour. a. True b. False
8. Rainforests are important because a. they're home to diverse species of plants and animals. b. native people live there. c. their plants provide new medicines. d. all of the above.
Lead Pollution (pp. 18-19)
9. Too much lead in water can stunt a child's physical and mental development. a. True b. False
10. Most Americans' drinking water is a. harmful. b. safe. c. bottled. d. expensive.
ANSWERS TO ECO-QUIZ
1. a 2. c 3. b 4. b 5. d 6. c 7. a 8. d 9. a 10. b
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Apr 12, 1999|
|Previous Article:||CHLAMYDIA THE HIDDEN S.T.D.|
|Next Article:||SCHOOLYARDS GO WILD!|