TEENS OVERDOSE AT SCHOOL 14 RUSHED TO VALLEY'S 2 HOSPITALS.Byline: Greg Botonis Staff Writer
LANCASTER - At least 14 high school students were taken to hospitals Wednesday after swallowing prescription pills used to treat hyperactivity disorder Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Definition
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a developmental disorder characterized by distractibility, hyperactivity, impulsive behaviors, and the inability to remain focused on tasks or , officials said.
Authorities at Antelope Valley High School Antelope Valley High School is located in Lancaster, California and is part of the Antelope Valley Union High School District. It was founded in 1912. It is located in the Mojave Desert. confiscated con·fis·cate
tr.v. con·fis·cat·ed, con·fis·cat·ing, con·fis·cates
1. To seize (private property) for the public treasury.
2. To seize by or as if by authority. See Synonyms at appropriate.
adj. pills from at least a dozen students. Estimates on the number of Ritalin pills ranged from 150 to 800. Some other types of pills and cigarettes were also confiscated.
``We don't have any idea where they got (these),'' Principal Mark Bryant said about the Ritalin pills. ``They weren't in a prescription bottle. They were brought in several sandwich baggies.''
Three of the hospitalized teens had experienced nausea, fatigue and vomiting, authorities said. The others were taken as a precautionary measure.
Full recovery was expected for all.
Investigators said at least two teens are suspected of bringing the pills to school, giving some away and selling some.
One was transported to the hospital. The other was released to her parents and will be questioned later by sheriff's deputies, officials said.
Deputies said they intend to seek criminal charges against whoever brought the pills onto the campus.
Some of the teens took the pills during the school's 9-11 memorial service, one student said.
Three ambulances, three fire engine companies and a paramedic par·a·med·ic
A person who is trained to give emergency medical treatment or assist medical professionals.
paramedic squad were sent to the school, where news helicopters circled overhead after word spread of the mass overdose.
Students started getting sick around 8:30 a.m., school officials said. Then authorities began tracking down other teens who had taken pills.
Before lunch, school officials announced over the intercom that any teens who had taken pills should come to the office and that they would face no discipline. At least three students took up the offer, officials said.
Ritalin is a relatively mild stimulant prescribed frequently for children diagnosed with hyperactivity hyperactivity, excessive physical activity of emotional or physiological origin, usually seen in young children; one of the components of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. or attention-deficit disorder. But in too-heavy doses, medical personnel say, it can cause convulsions Convulsions
Also termed seizures; a sudden violent contraction of a group of muscles.
Mentioned in: Heat Disorders , hallucinations Hallucinations Definition
Hallucinations are false or distorted sensory experiences that appear to be real perceptions. These sensory impressions are generated by the mind rather than by any external stimuli, and may be seen, heard, felt, and even , irregular heartbeats and the sensation that bugs or worms are crawling under the skin.
Ritalin has been used unsafely for years by drug abusers who want to get high, authorities say. Some crush it to snort like cocaine or dissolve it in water to inject it intravenously like heroin.
Some of the students interviewed by school officials admitted to swallowing a handful of pills, while others said they had taken only a few.
Although Wednesday was the first day school officials had heard about the pills being brought on campus, 17-year-old Josh Porter said he believes they had been circulating around campus since Tuesday.
Porter said a friend fainted in the gymnasium during a first-period physical-education class after swallowing a handful of the pills along with LSD LSD or lysergic acid diethylamide (lī'sûr`jĭk, dī'ĕth`ələmĭd, dī'ĕthəlăm`ĭd), alkaloid synthesized from lysergic acid, which is found in the fungus ergot ( , sleeping pills and the sedative sedative, any of a variety of drugs that relieve anxiety. Most sedatives act as mild depressants of the nervous system, lessening general nervous activity or reducing the irritability or activity of a specific organ. Vicodin.
``He just passed out and his eyes were rolled up in his head,'' Porter said. ``That's when I went and got security (personnel).''
Three other students took the Ritalin and Vicodin at the same time, but not as much, he said.
Before his friend passed out, Porter said, he had told a teacher that his friend had taken pills. But the teacher told him the boy was allowed to take pills for a back problem, Porter said.
The teens who swallowed the pills were given activated charcoal Charcoal, Activated Definition
Activated charcoal is a fine black odorless and tasteless powder made from wood or other materials that have been exposed to very high temperatures in an airless environment. , which absorbs the contents of their stomachs and keeps the drug from getting into the bloodstream, fire officials said.
Some teens were taken to Lancaster Community Hospital This article or section needs sources or references that appear in reliable, third-party publications. Alone, primary sources and sources affiliated with the subject of this article are not sufficient for an accurate encyclopedia article. and others to Antelope Valley Hospital.
School officials said anyone involved in distributing the pills will be disciplined, based on the level of involvement. First offenders could face suspension or transfer to another school, while second offenders will be expelled. Offenders also could face criminal charges.
(1) Paramedics check on Antelope Valley High students in an ambulance on Wednesday.
(2 -- ran in AV edition only) A firefighter and a deputy direct traffic Wednesday in front of Antelope Valley High, where some teens overdosed on pills.
Jeff Goldwater/Staff Photographer