Syrian dies of suffocation while cleaning toxic sewage.suffocation suffocation: see asphyxia. Monday during work hours at a leather tannery located near the southern city of Sidon's notorious landfill.
SIDON, Lebanon: Syrian worker Hussein Ali Khodairat died of suffocation Monday during work hours at a leather tannery located near the southern city of Sidon's notorious landfill.
His colleague, Jasem Mohammad Shehade, experienced malaise malaise /mal·aise/ (mal-az´) a vague feeling of discomfort.
A vague feeling of bodily discomfort, as at the beginning of an illness. . Security sources told The Daily Star that shop owner Ali Habli asked Khodairat to clean a sewage canal that contained extracts of toxic materials used in leather tanning processes.
Khodairat had to dig into Verb 1. dig into - examine physically with or as if with a probe; "probe an anthill"
poke into, probe
penetrate, perforate - pass into or through, often by overcoming resistance; "The bullet penetrated her chest" a 4-meter-deep hole, while Shehade helped him. As he cleaned the canal, Khodairat fainted after inhaling unpleasant odors coming from toxic materials dumped in the sewage.
Rescue teams of the Civil Defense who wore protective masks arrived to the tannery and tried to help the two workers get out of the hole. The Civil Defense transferred the two workers to the Labib Medical Center in Sidon but Khodairat died shortly afterward.
Copyright 2012, The Daily Star. All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Daily Star (Beirut, Lebanon)|
|Date:||Feb 21, 2012|
|Previous Article:||Kanaan denies Zahrani received red gasoil before VAT deadline.|
|Next Article:||Radar speed traps fail to curb fatalities: NGOs.|