Printer Friendly
The Free Library
22,728,043 articles and books

Strikers no match for defending champions.

Cardiff City Ladies took a decisive step towards a fifth successive Welsh Cup The Welsh Cup is a knock-out football competition contested annually by teams from Wales.

The Football Association of Wales is the organising body of this competition, which has been run (except during the two World Wars) every year since its inception in 1877-78.
 by booking their quarter-final ticket with a 4-0 midweek win over Newport City Strikers.

It was the first meeting between the clubs since 2005 and Cardiff, bidding for another venture in the Women's Uefa Cup next season, never let the Newport side off the hook under the floodlights of Treforest FC.

Gwennan Harries got the champions off to a good start driving a shot through a melee of players after only 10 minutes.

And Harries doubled her tally, when she netted from close range after 18 minutes after Cardiff midfielder Kelly Isaac saw a thunderous thun·der·ous  
1. Producing thunder or a similar sound.

2. Loud and unrestrained in a way that suggests thunder: thunderous applause.
 strike crash down off the cross bar.

The Cardiff midfield were controlling the game and reducing Newport to half chances.

Their best effort came from Kirsten Davies, but her shot sailed over the bar.

Isaac and Jessica Fishlock were commanding in midfield and set up chances for Ruth Waghorn and Claire Davies.

Eventually the pressure told and Harries completed her hat-trick when she hammered the ball past the despairing de·spair·ing  
Characterized by or resulting from despair; hopeless. See Synonyms at despondent.

de·spairing·ly adv.
 keeper from a Fishlock pass.

With Cardiff dominating the game, sweeper Sian Cheedy, was denied a goal.

She strode strode  
Past tense of stride.


the past tense of stride

strode stride
 down the right wing and thundered a shot against the underside of the crossbar.

Cardiff rang the changes after the break with Dana Hinton coming on for Terri Beddows and Natasha Harding making her senior first team debut up-front, replacing Harries.

Issac then wrapped up the scoring when she slotted the ball home from another perfectly-weighted pass from Fishlock.

Marie Barrow made a long awaited return to action having missed the last seven weeks with a foot injury.

She replaced Claire Davies for the last 20 minutes.

Several chances went begging for Cardiff with Harding, Barrow and Chantelle Miller missing efforts on goal and the game fizzled out having been won in the first hour and the bitter cold setting in.

Cardiff have now won a record 17 successive matches in the Welsh Cup and travel to face Bridgend Town in the next round on Sunday, February 18.

Bridgend beat Pontypridd in the previous round and this will be the first clash between the two South Wales South Wales south nsud m du Pays de Galles  teams.

Cardiff's league match with Charlton Athletic, scheduled for that day will now be rearranged for April 29.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion




Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Feb 14, 2007
Previous Article:Girl's tree-planting idea could grow and grow.
Next Article:Dragons hit a record 31.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters