Printer Friendly

Strategy Analytics: European Broadband Subscriber Numbers Rise to 38 Million in 2004; Aggressive Competition and Local Loop Unbundling Fuel Rapid Market Growth.

LONDON -- Access to broadband Internet services has soared across Europe during 2004, according to the latest Strategy Analytics report, 'Broadband Subscriber Market Forecast: Europe.' Nearly half of Internet households now access the Internet using broadband, and the broadband subscriber base is predicted to reach 38 million households by the end of 2004, an increase of 61 percent over 2003. The report concludes that service providers must deliver lower prices, faster speeds and bundled services in order to remain competitive. It also predicts that more than half of all European households, or 88.4 million, will have broadband service by 2008.

As usual, broadband adoption varies significantly from one European country to another. The leading market today is the Netherlands, where 45 percent of all homes will have a broadband connection by the end of 2004. By contrast, Germany, Ireland and Greece will still have penetration rates below 20 percent. Strategy Analytics concludes that the countries with the fastest adoption rates are those with the greatest levels of competition between service providers.

"2004 has been the year of local loop unbundling (LLU)," notes Martin Olausson, Senior Analyst, Broadband Media and Communications. "French consumers in particular have benefited from intense rivalry between competing service providers and the incumbent, France Telecom. We fully expect a similar impact in other European countries once LLU becomes more widely available."

The majority of European broadband users continue to choose DSL services, which have an 81 percent share of the market. Most of the rest use cable (19 percent), while a small minority subscribes to other services such as fiber-to-the-home (FTTH). This report predicts that DSL will maintain this position until 2008, but that emerging services such as FTTH and wireless will gain share.

For a table with further information, see www.strategyanalytics.com/press/pr00143.htm

About Strategy Analytics

Strategy Analytics, Inc., a global research and consulting firm, provides timely insights and strategic business solutions to companies operating at the convergence of information, communications and entertainment technologies. With worldwide headquarters in Newton, MA and principal offices in England, France and Germany, Strategy Analytics focuses on market opportunities and challenges in the areas of Automotive Electronics, Digital Consumer, Telematics, Wireless Strategies and Enabling Technologies. For more information, see www.strategyanalytics.com
COPYRIGHT 2004 Business Wire
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Business Wire
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Dec 15, 2004
Words:374
Previous Article:Eaton Vance Enhanced Equity Income Fund Announces First Monthly Dividend.
Next Article:Satelinx Receives Approval from AXA Insurance.
Topics:


Related Articles
Strategy Analytics Predicts U.S. Broadband Homes Will Top 25 Million in 2003; Cable Will Continue To Dominate 64 million Subscriber Market In 2008.
DSL IC market rebounding, shifting to VDSL.
Strategy Analytics: 56 Percent of Broadband Users Report Decline In TV Viewing; Broadcasters Should Use Broadband To Enhance Viewer Relationships.
Strategy Analytics: 8.5 Million US Homes to Add Broadband In 2004; Performance, Bundling Are Key Advantages for Cable.
Strategy Analytics: Germany Will Fall Further behind in Broadband If Cable Merger Rejected.
Strategy Analytics: HDTV Into 37 Million U.S. Homes By 2008; Full Digital Transition Will Require Further Regulation.
Strategy Analytics: Satellite TV Gains Not Always Cable Losses; Satellite Grows U.S. Multichannel TV Market as Millions Add Service.
Strategy Analytics: Telcos Sacrifice Margins For Market Share As Cable's Broadband Lead Slips; Lower Prices and Bundling Will Bring Broadband to 78...
22 million voice over broadband connections in W.Europe by 2008.
Strategy Analytics: Telefonica Will Struggle To Meet 50 Percent Market Share Target in Spain's Booming Broadband Market; Ono, Wanadoo, and T-Online...

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters