Store mussels 'may contain fatal toxins'.
Traces of paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) were found above legally permitted levels during routine tests. The FSA is urging consumers not to eat the mussels which were sold by Tesco, Asda, and Morrisons earlier this week.
PSP is caused by naturally occurring algal blooms. In rare cases it can cause potentially fatal respiratory problems in consumers. The Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group (SSMG) which supplies supermarkets with the fresh mussels, today ordered a recall after tests highlighted the presence of toxins.
The 1kg bags of mussels which are subject to the recall were on sale between Monday and Wednesday. Anyone who bought them should dispose of the mussels or return them to stores for a refund, the FSA said. In a statement, SSMG said: "It is anticipated that very few items, if any, have been sold.
"This is an isolated batch and all product supplied by SSMG is now fully available in all regular outlets."
The FSA has received no reports of customers falling ill after eating the mussels.
Asda sold around 110 of the 1kg bags - priced at pounds 3.28 per bag - at 50 of its fresh fish counters on Wednedsay only. A spokesman for the chain said: "We have received no customer complaints."
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Birmingham Mail (England)|
|Date:||Sep 9, 2006|
|Previous Article:||I never thought I would see the day... my tiny baby looked so sweet in her school uniform; FAMILY: Little battler Zhane weighed just two-and-a-half...|
|Next Article:||Siobhan dreams of TV fame; ENTERTAINMENT: Semi-final of musical reality show.|