Dr. Wetzel has written a doctor's thoroughly Catholic view of sexuality, a view he has come to through experience. He offers it as "a guide for parents, young adults, educators, and physicians."
The book is built around seventeen misconceptions concerning sex, and perhaps the best review of it would be a list of these misconceptions.
1. People, especially men, have specific genital, sexual needs.
2. Sex, without love, is healthy.
3. Premarital sex is acceptable if the couple love each other.
4. Premarital sex is the private decision of the two people involved.
5. Premarital sex is acceptable for consenting adults.
6. Premarital sex helps to establish a good sexual relationship in marriage.
7. Premarital sex allows a couple to evaluate their compatibility before they commit themselves to marriage.
8. By removing the attitudinal barriers to premarital sex, the sexual revolution has liberated women.
9. STDs are not a serious problem because they are easy to screen for, diagnose, treat, and cure.
10. Pornography and excessive exposure to sexual innuendo are not necessarily harmful, and possibly negative effects from them can be eliminated through awareness.
11. Contraceptives always work and are, therefore, sufficient for "responsible sex."
12. All contraceptives work by preventing conception.
13. Disadvantages of natural methods of fertility regulation include increased risk of birth defects and required "long" periods of abstinence which cause sexual dysfunction.
14. Use of Fertility Awareness is restricted to couples with an unusually healthy relationship or to certain religions.
15. All morality is subjective and, therefore, relative. Morality means something different for each person.
16. The Old Morality is insufficient for dealing with contemporary ethical dilemmas. For these, a New Morality is necessary.
17. Sex education should be "values free."
Every young person (and his or her parents too) should read this book to find out how to answer these errors.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Kennedy, Leonard A.|
|Article Type:||Book Review|
|Date:||May 1, 2000|
|Previous Article:||Victoria's debt.|
|Next Article:||Under Mary's Mantle, Our Lady's Love for Canada.|
|Book Review: Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing.|