Cash flow: Managing capital in a turbulent market
1. Which of the following represents one of the "four C's" of working capital mentioned in the article?
2. Which of the following was not identified in the article as needing to be managed carefully during turbulent economic times?
D. Accounts receivable accounts receivable n. the amounts of money due or owed to a business or professional by customers or clients. Generally, accounts receivable refers to the total amount due and is considered in calculating the value of a business or the business' problems in paying and accounts payable
3. In the current economic situation, what kinds of companies have become more attractive to Wall Street investors?
A. Private companies
B. Public companies
C. Credit-rich companies
D. Cash-rich companies
4. Which of the following was not identified in the article as a warning sign that a customer is having cash flow problems?
A. Spending less than in the past
B. Changing the mix of products purchased
C. Discontinues paying his/her bills on a timely basis
D. Putting purchases on hold
5. Which of the following was identified in the article as one of the areas where companies should be extra vigilant when it comes to improving cash flow?
A. Billing and collections
B. Inventory purchasing
C. The extension of credit
D. Firm marketing practices
6. Which of the following did Sandy Miller Sandy Lee Miller (nee Percival) is a journalist and news anchor from Missouri.
Miller currently co-anchors weekdays for FOX 2 News at 6 p.m. She joined FOX 2 in October 2002. Before joining the FOX team, Sandy co-anchored the 9 p.m. news at KPLR-TV for 4 years. , CPA (Computer Press Association, Landing, NJ) An earlier membership organization founded in 1983 that promoted excellence in computer journalism. Its annual awards honored outstanding examples in print, broadcast and electronic media. The CPA disbanded in 2000. identify as one of the best steps companies can take to become credit worthy?
A. Develop a contingency plan A plan involving suitable backups, immediate actions and longer term measures for responding to computer emergencies such as attacks or accidental disasters. Contingency plans are part of business resumption planning. and really understand how much it costs to run the business
B. Terminate lackluster employees
C. Tighten spending
D. Move to a just-in-time approach when paying invoices
7. According to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. Brian Marita, CPA, companies need to put their best face forward when working with a lender. Which of the following represents one of the two vital actions he recommends?
A. Have a written contingency plan
B. Have recent financial statements
C. Have a written business plan
D. Maintain accurate billing records
8. Which of the following was not listed in the article as being a top five best practice for maintaining working capital?
A. Communicate honestly and often with lenders, share business plans and contingency plans, clean up financials
B. Reduce inventory levels and SKUs, reposition company and offerings if needed
C. Speed up cash flow
D. Increase payment periods to conserve cash
An inside look at the Private Company Financial Reporting Committee (PCFRC PCFRC Private Company Financial Reporting Committee )
9. Which of the following groups has been specifically charged with considering the effects of globalization globalization
Process by which the experience of everyday life, marked by the diffusion of commodities and ideas, is becoming standardized around the world. Factors that have contributed to globalization include increasingly sophisticated communications and transportation and changing regulation on the financial reporting practices of private companies?
A. FASB FASB
See: Financial Accounting Standards Board
See Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
B. AICPA AICPA
See American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA).
C. Private Company Financial Reporting Commission
D. Private Company Financial Reporting Committee
10. What role will the PCFRC play in the financial reporting process?
A. Consider differences in prospective and existing GAAP GAAP
See: Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
See generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). related to private companies
B. Make formal recommendations to FASB
C. Consider user needs and cost/benefit considerations with regards to existing and prospective GAAP and its application to private companies
D. All of the above
11. Which of the following does Tom Groskopf, CPA cite as a common complaint CPAs make regarding existing financial reporting standards?
A. Standards overload
B. Financial statement presentation requirements
C. Medium-sized entity regulation
D. FIN 48
12. Which of the following represents a current priority for the PCFRC?
A. Committee readjustment re·ad·just
tr.v. re·ad·just·ed, re·ad·just·ing, re·ad·justs
To adjust or arrange again.
B. Accounting for leases
C. Accounting for long-term contracts
D. Accounting for subsequent events
13. There will be several key differences between IFRS IFRS International Financial Reporting Standard(s)
IFRS Inter Frame Relay Service
IFRS Indiana Facilities Registry System (International Financial Reporting Standards International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) are standards and interpretations adopted by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB).
Many of the standards forming part of IFRS are known by the older name of International Accounting Standards (IAS). ) for publicly traded companies publicly traded company
A company whose shares of common stock are held by the public and are available for purchase by investors. The shares of publicly traded firms are bought and sold on the organized exchanges or in the over-the-counter market. and IFRS for non-publicly traded entities. Which of the following was not listed as one of the key differences?
A. Trigger-based impairment testing for goodwill, as opposed to testing for impairment on a semiannual basis
B. A reliable measurement exception for fair value measurements
C. A blanket exception from the financial statement presentation project
D. Trigger-based impairment testing for goodwill, as opposed to testing for impairment on an annual basis
OSCPA OSCPA Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants
OSCPA Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants members delay retirement due to nation's economic downturn
14. What percentage of OSCPA members age 60 or older stated that the economic downturn has changed their retirement plans?
15. What percentage of survey respondents whose retirement plans have changed cited the decline in their retirement investment portfolio as the primary reason for the change?
16. Under the Pension Protection of 2006, at what age are pension plans allowed to begin paying benefits to workers who have not yet separated from their employers?
17. According to the article, from 2005 to 2025, the number of people age 55 to 64 will grow by
A. 5 million
B. 7 million
C. 8 million
D. 11 million
18. According to OSCPA survey respondents, what is the primary advantage of maintaining a CPA license after retirement?
A. Allows one to remain at the forefront of the profession
B. Makes it easier to attain part-time or seasonal work
C. Is the extra credential needed to open doors
D. Can help me secure employment in higher education higher education
Study beyond the level of secondary education. Institutions of higher education include not only colleges and universities but also professional schools in such fields as law, theology, medicine, business, music, and art.
19. According to an OSCPA survey, what is the main reason professionals maintain their OSCPA membership after retirement?
A. Membership helps the professional maintain affinity with the profession
B. The OSCPA delivers professional news and information that the professional needs to remain current
C. The OSCPA represents my interests before regulatory and legislatives bodies
D. Society membership helps me maintain my CPA license through access to quality, low-cost CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) Communications equipment that resides on the customer's premises.
CPE - Customer Premises Equipment Are future CPAs prepared? The status of ethics education
20. The authors reported the views of accounting chairs regarding the importance of ethics education to the business curriculum and accounting curriculum. Which of the following represents these views?
A. Ethics was more important to the accountancy curriculum than the business curriculum
B. Ethics was equally important to both the accountancy curriculum and the business curriculum
C. Ethics was more important to the business curriculum than to the accounting curriculum
D. Ethics isn't as crucial to the accounting curriculum
21. In most accountancy programs where is ethics most likely taught?
A. As a stand-alone class.
B. In the graduate program
C. Throughout the curriculum
D. In honors courses
22. Which of the following was identified by accounting chairs as one of the top sources of materials used by those accounting faculty teaching ethics?
A. Professional codes of ethical conduct
B. Lecture materials on pragmatic ethics
C. A specific case study on Enron
D. A stand-alone philosophy course book
Excel: The Conditional Sum Wizard and the SUMIFS function
23. What is the purpose of Excel's Conditional Sum Wizard?
A. It allows the importation of various programming languages into Excel
B. It simplifies Excel VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) A subset of Visual Basic that provides a common language for customizing Microsoft applications. VBA supports COM, which allows a VBA script to invoke internal functions within Excel, Word and other COM-based programs or to make use of programming
C. It expands the SUMIF function by allowing for multiple conditions in the context of Excel
D. It creates varied conditions allowing for more varied scenario analysis Scenario analysis
The use of horizon analysis to project total returns under different reinvestment rates and future market yields.
24. How is the Conditional Sum Wizard launched in Excel 2007?
A. By selecting "Excel Options" and "Add-ins"
B. By using the Lookup A data search performed within a predefined table of values (array, matrix, etc.) or within a data file. Wizard function
C. By selecting the Conditional Sum Wizard tab at the top of the screen
D. By updating to the latest version of Microsoft Excel (tool) Microsoft Excel - A spreadsheet program from Microsoft, part of their Microsoft Office suite of productivity tools for Microsoft Windows and Macintosh. Excel is probably the most widely used spreadsheet in the world.
Latest version: Excel 97, as of 1997-01-14.
25. What is an array formula?
A. A formula that explicitly dictates how arrays are to be structured within Excel.
B. A formula that works solely in conjunction with database commands.
C. A formula that can perform multiple calculations on one or more items in an array.
D. A formula that can perform simple calculations on one or more items in a database.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Catalyst (Dublin, Ohio)|
|Date:||Jul 1, 2009|
|Previous Article:||The Ohio society of CPAs: 2009-2010 conference calendar.|
|Next Article:||Sacrificing comfort for a cause.|