Selected community resources (*). (Featured CME Topic: Smoking Cessation).* Action on Smoking and Health
2013 H St NW
Washington, DC 20006.
* Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics
2751 Prosperity Aye, Suite 150
Fairfax, VA 22031.
Fax: (703) 573-7794
* Alliance for Lung Cancer lung cancer, cancer that originates in the tissues of the lungs. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States in both men and women. Like other cancers, lung cancer occurs after repeated insults to the genetic material of the cell.
PO Box 849
Vancouver, WA 98666.
(800) 298-2436 or (360) 696-2436.
* American Cancer Society American Cancer Society,
n.pr established in 1913, this national volunteer-based health organization is committed to the elimination of cancer through prevention and treatment and to diminishing cancer suffering through advocacy, scholarship, research,
1599 Clifton Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30329.
* American Dental Association American Dental Association (ADA),
n.pr a nonprofit professional association whose membership is dental professionals in the United States. Its purpose is to assist its members in providing the highest professional and ethical care to the citizens of the
211 E. Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611.
Fax: (312) 440-2800
* American Heart Association American Heart Association (AHA),
n.pr a national voluntary health agency that has the goal of increasing public and medical awareness of cardiovascular diseases and stroke, and thereby reducing the number of associated deaths and disabilities.
7272 Greenville Ave
Dallas, TX 75231
(800) AHA-USA1 (242-8721)
* American Lung Association The American Lung Association (ALA) is a non-profit organization that "fights lung disease in all its forms, with special emphasis on asthma, tobacco control and environmental health".
1740 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10019
(800) LUNG-USA (586-4872)
* Center for Substance Abuse Prevention The Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP) is an agency of the United States government under the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). , National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI NCADI National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information )
PO Box 2345
Rockville, MD 20847-2345
* Center for Tobacco Research or Intervention, University of Wisconsin.
* Coalition on Smoking and Health
Suite 820, 1150 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20036.
* Group Against Smokers' Pollution (GASP)
PO Box 632
College Park, MD 20740
* Health Promotion Resources Center, Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention
1000 Welch Rd
Palo Alto, CA
Fax: (415) 725-6906.
* March of Dimes
1275 Mamaroneck Ave
White Plains, NY 10605
(888) MODIMES (663-4637)
* National Cancer Institute, Office of Cancer Communications
Building 31, Room 10A24
31 Center Dr, MSC-2580
Bethesda, MD 20892-2580
(800) 4-Cancer (422-6237)
* National Center for Tobacco-Free Kids
1400 Eye St, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20005
National Health Information Center (NHIC NHIC National Health Information Center
NHIC National Heritage Insurance Company
NHIC New Haven Improvisers Collective (New Haven, CT)
NHIC National Health Information Clearinghouse )
PO Box 1133
Washington, DC 20013-1133.
(800) 336-4797 (301) 565-4167
Fax: (301) 984-4256
* National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI NHLBI,
n.pr See National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. ), Information Center
PO Box 30105
Bethesda, MD 20824-0105
Fax: (301) 251-1223
* Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Mail Stop K-50
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341
Fax: (770) 488-5939
* Professional Assisted Cessation Therapy, c/o RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) Ailments of the hands, neck, back and eyes due to computer use. The remedy for RSI is frequent breaks which should include stretching or yoga postures. Communication
690 Kinderkamack Rd
Ordell, NJ 07649
* Stop Teenage Addiction to Tobacco (STAT)
511 E. Columbus Ave
Springfield, MA 01105
* The Advocacy Institute
Suite 400, 1707 L St NW
Washington, DC 20036-4505
* Office of the Surgeon
200 Independence Ave SW, Room 710G
Washington, DC 20201-0001
Resources in Spanish
* Internet: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smokingcessation.html
* Dejar de Fumar (American Lung Association)
* PDQ-Sobre Cuidado Medico-Pacientes: Cese del Habito de Fumar y Riesgo Persistente en el Paciente de Cancer (National Cancer Institute)
* Preguntas Frecuentes Acerca de Como Dejar el Cigarillo cig·a·ril·lo
n. pl. cig·a·ril·los
A small narrow cigar.
[Spanish cigarrillo, diminutive of cigarro, cigar; see cigar.]
Noun 1. (Surgeon General)
* Preguntas y Respuestas Sobre Dejar de Fumar (National Cancer Institute)
* Rompa con el Habito de Fumar!/Kick the Smoking Habit! (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute,
n.pr established in 1948, this division of the National Institutes of Health is responsible for research and education on cardiovascular, pulmonary, systemic diseases, and sleep disorders. ) - Easy-to-Read, bilingual (Spanish/English) text. Links to PDF file.
* Usted Puede Dejar de Fumar (Surgeon General).
(*.) Prepared by Kathleen Caughron.