DIRECTIONS: Read the Science News section on pages 4 to 7. Then, test your knowledge by filling in the letters of the correct answers below.
1. Where is the world's tallest tree located?
(A) Lima, Peru
(B) Northern California, U.S.
(C) Ontario, Canada
(D) Queensland, Australia
2. The tallest tree in the world is a
(A) coast redwood.
(B) birch tree.
(C) maple tree.
(D) cedar tree.
3. What is the major symptom of halitosis?
(A) itchy skin
(C) bad breath
4. What is the most common cause of halitosis?
(A) a virus that blocks the vocal cords
(B) a torn tissue that infects the nasal passage
(C) catching it from someone else
(D) bacteria that releases smelly sulfur compounds when breaking down food
5. Which of the following is NOT a step in vocalization?
(A) exhale air over the vocal chords
(B) vocal chords vibrate to produce sound waves
(C) deflate the vocal chords
(D) use lips, teeth, and tongue to shape sound waves into words
6. An ocean's salinity measures
(A) the size of its currents.
(B) its temperature.
(C) the amount of salt in the water.
(D) the number of marine organisms in the water.
7. Sensors on elephant seals help researchers learn about ocean--.
(B) temperatures and amount of salt in the water
(C) pollution levels
8. What is tuberculosis?
(A) a contagious disease that causes abnormal growths in the lungs and other tissues
(B) a type of disease that wears away the stomach lining
(C) a genetic disease that causes bones to deteriorate
(D) an inflammation in muscles that causes chronic spasms
9. Britni Lonesome is helping to improve tuberculosis treatment by
(A) spending time with people with tuberculosis.
(B) writing pamphlets to help educate others about the disease.
(C) creating a special mask to stop people from contracting the disease.
(D) helping scientists design a disk that goes under the skin and slowly releases medication over several months.
10. Steve Irwin was known as "the Crocodile Hunter," but his main mission was to
(A) hunt crocodiles for their valuable skin.
(B) protect endangered species from extinction.
(C) stop crocodiles from eating other animals.
(D) write books about Australia.
ANSWERS: NEWS QUIZ.
1. b 2. a 3. c 4. d 5. c 6. c 7. b 8. a 9. d 10. b
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Nov 13, 2006|
|Previous Article:||Teacher to teacher: tips for using Science World in the classroom.|
|Next Article:||Science employment agency.|