Science in the news quiz.
Directions: Read the late-breaking science news stories in our Science News section on pages 4 to 6. Then test your knowledge by answering the questions below. Circle the correct letter.
1. Afghan refugees are prone to infectious diseases because of
a. starvation and dehydration.
b. insufficient health services.
c. overcrowding overcrowding
overcrowding of animal accommodation. Many countries now publish codes of practice which define what the appropriate volumetric allowances should be for each species of animal when they are housed indoors. Breaches of these codes is overcrowding. .
d. all of the above.
2. The body's germ-fighting system:
3. One of the world's most devastating diseases:
a. chicken pox chicken pox or varicella (vâr'əsĕl`ə), infectious disease usually occurring in childhood. It is believed to be caused by the same herpesvirus that produces shingles.
c. scurvy scurvy, deficiency disorder resulting from a lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the diet. Scurvy does not occur in most animals because they can synthesize their own vitamin C, but humans, other primates, guinea pigs, and a few other species lack an enzyme
d. all of the above
4. Malaria is spread by
a. hand shakes.
c. unsanitary un·san·i·tar·y
Not sanitary. water.
d. mosquito bites.
5. Cholera is caused by a
c. eye infection.
d. skin cut.
6. Vaccines help the immune system fight diseases by stimulating
b. red-blood cell production.
c. brain waves.
d. muscle cells.
7. The estimated number of people worldwide who contract measles each year:
a. 15 million
b. 30 million
c. 45 million
d. 60 million
8. Antibacterial drugs are used to treat
9. One reason paleontologists believe Sarcosuchus imperator im·pe·ra·tor
1. An army commander in the Roman Republic.
2. The supreme power of the Roman emperor.
3. The head of state and supreme commander in the Roman Empire, in whose name all victories were won. was a dino killer:
a. DNA evidence
b. dino fossils found in mouth
c. huge overbite overbite /over·bite/ (o´ver-bit?) the extension of the upper incisor teeth over the lower ones vertically when the opposing posterior teeth are in contact.
d. four stomachs, including a rumen rumen
pl. rumens, rumina; the largest of the compartments of the forestomach of ruminant animals that serves as a fermentating vat. It is lined by a keratinized epithelium bearing numerous absorptive papillae; it is partly subdivided by folds (pillars).
10. The Diggler's low-riding deck helps prevent wipeouts because it
a. increases friction.
b. has an auto-stop spring mechanism.
c. increases mass.
d. lowers a rider's center of gravity.
Take It Further
11. Research a disease caused by a parasite. Explain the life cycle of the parasite.
12. Search the news and Internet to learn about new vaccines in the works to fight disease. Report on the progress of one vaccine.
1.d 2. c 3. b 4. d 5. b 6. a 7. c 8. d 9. c 10. b