SEEDS.Resources for study and action.
Combining elements of successful adopt-a-highway and sister cities concepts, a new U.N.-sponsored program encourages individuals, community groups, and businesses to Adopt-A-Minefield. As a practical means of saving lives and raising awareness Raising awareness is a common phrase advocacy groups use to justify a particular event, brochure or even the entire organization. Raising awareness refers to alerting the general public that a certain issue exists and should be approached the way the group desires. about the landmine crisis, sponsors raise funds to clear minefields and return land to productive use. While a mine can cost as little as $3 to produce, it can cost up to $1,000 to remove, so sponsors may adopt entire minefields or contribute smaller amounts, which are pooled with other contributions. Contact the Adopt-A-Minefield Campaign, United Nations Association of the USA, 801 2nd Ave., New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of , NY 10017-4706; (212) 907-1300; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.landmines.org.
LISTEN TO THE CHILDREN
Foster international awareness and understanding through the videos in the Child's View Series produced by Mennonite Central Committee The Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) is a relief, service, and peace agency representing 15 Mennonite, Brethren in Christ and Amish bodies in North America. The U.S. headquarters are in Akron, Pennsylvania, the Canadian in Winnipeg, Manitoba. . Each video brings you the sights and sounds of children's lives around the world, including stories from Indonesia, Congo, Laos, Mozambique, and elsewhere. Though most videos are about five minutes long--accommodating viewers with shorter attention spans, young and old--they show both the joys and challenges that children in developing and conflicted countries experience. One story is of 8-year-old Sladjana, a refugee of the war in Croatia whose family is building a house and making new friends in Serbia. Videos cost $15 each ($10 each if purchasing five or more), but are also available for free loan from the MCC (The Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation, Austin, TX) The first high-tech research and development consortium in the U.S., created in 1982 by leading companies within the electronics industry. office nearest you. Contact MCC, 21 South 12th St., P.O. Box 500, Akron, PA 17501-0500; email@example.com; www.mcc.org/resource.
PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR SOCIAL CONSCIENCE IS
According to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility The Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR) is a coalition of 275 faith-based institutional investors. Founded in 1973, the organization advocates for corporate social responsibility and files shareholder resolutions and engages in dialogue with corporate management on , in the last five years socially responsible mutual funds have consistently outperformed the Standard & Poor's 500. No, that's not a NASCAR NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing), organization that sanctions American stock-car races, est. 1948. It held its first race in Daytona Beach, Fla. race. It means what many people of faith always suspected--that responsible companies can be profitable companies. For your piece of the action, check out ICCR's Conscientious con·sci·en·tious
1. Guided by or in accordance with the dictates of conscience; principled: a conscientious decision to speak out about injustice.
2. Investors Guide to Socially Responsible Mutual Funds and Investment Services, which profiles 44 firms, funds, and advisers who screen harmful companies and help investors use their shareholder power to influence corporations for good. The most common screens include alcohol and tobacco, equal employment opportunities, labor and human rights, nuclear power, and weapons production. Contact ICCR ICCR Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility
ICCR Indian Council for Cultural Relations (New Delhi, India)
ICCR Interdisciplinary Centre for Comparative Research
ICCR Industrial Combustion Coordinated Rulemaking (EPA) , 475 Riverside Dr., Room 550, New York, NY 10115; firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESPONSIBLE STEWARDSHIP IS SMART STEWARDSHIP
Use the vast information-gathering potential of the Internet for good rather than evil. Guide-Star's massive database of nonprofits of all shapes, sizes, and missions allows you to make educated choices about your charitable giving. It's also a great way for nonprofits--especially those without their own Web sites--to present information online, including mission statements, newsletters, press releases, financial and IRS An abbreviation for the Internal Revenue Service, a federal agency charged with the responsibility of administering and enforcing internal revenue laws. data, project updates, and classified ads. Guide-Star's services are free to both donors and participating nonprofits, and are available at www.guidestar.org.
Evoking the image of the ever-widening ripples in a pond, Claudia Horwitz's A Stone's Throw stone's throw
A short distance.
a short distance
Noun 1. ,' living the act of faith is designed to facilitate spiritually informed social action. Through sections on "Turning Inward," Sustaining Ourselves," and "Turning Outward," this book includes activities for individuals and groups, questions for reflection, worksheets and resources, and perhaps most inspiring, stories of people who are already combining justice work and spirituality. Cost is $17 (+$3 shipping) from stone circles, 301 West Main St., Suite 280, Durham, NC 27701; (919) 682-8323; email@example.com.