SAM THE MAN AS POINTS CLINCHED; Smith grabs hat trick in Rastrick's win while Elland stay near bottom.
RASTRICK Under 12s stabilised themselves in mid-table of Division II with a 3-1 home win against Elland, thanks to a hat trick hat trick
1. Three goals scored by one player in one game, as in ice hockey.
2. Three wickets taken in cricket by a bowler in three consecutive balls.
3. from Sam Smith.
Elland looked dangerous from the off at Carr Green, with some neat inter-play and Rastrick found themselves pinned back.
But Elland's eagerness to drive forward left them badly exposed at the back and Rastrick took full advantage.
After holding off 10 minutes of pressure, a Rastrick clearance fell to Sam Smith who, from the halfway line, carried the ball forward and past keeper Lucas Bowman to slide the ball into the net to give the home side an early lead.
Other than a few speedy Rastrick breakaways, Elland continued to enjoy the lion's share of possession throughout the first half, but solid defending from the home side's Lennon Shaw, Jake Denton, Bailey Downs and Dominic Watson was matched by Elland's Lewis Singleton, Dominic Smith, Matthew Greidanus and Ben Bennett Ben Bennett (born May 5, 1963 in Sunnyvale, CA) is the head coach of the arenafootball2 (af2) Manchester Wolves. He has been involved in professional football as a player and coach since 1984. to leave the score unchanged at half time.
The second half started almost exactly the same as the first but as Elland, led by Lewis Storey and Liam Senior sought an equaliser, they were again caught out when another clearance found its way to Smith, who powered a low shot past onrushing keeper Bowman.
The hard working Senior set up what was almost the goal of the game when he ran 40 yards through a sea of defenders to put in a cross from the right edge of the penalty area, but Conner Hellens' snapshot (1) A saved copy of memory including the contents of all memory bytes, hardware registers and status indicators. It is periodically taken in order to restore the system in the event of failure.
(2) A saved copy of a file before it is updated. flew just the wrong side of a post.
The miss not only proved costly but signalled a period of Rastrick dominance led by Tom Meadowcroft and captain Oliver Ingram, which ended when Smith completed his hat trick.
Elland continued to pile on the pressure but, despite a series of corners, they were unable to unlock the solid Rastrick defence.
Tom Norcliffe and Darrin Williams pushed hard to try to get something out of the game for Elland but, even when a long range Senior effort looked destined des·tine
tr.v. des·tined, des·tin·ing, des·tines
1. To determine beforehand; preordain: a foolish scheme destined to fail; a film destined to become a classic.
2. for the bottom corner, keeper Conner Murphy produced a fine full-length fingertip fin·ger·tip
The extreme end or tip of a finger. save to turn the ball around the post for another corner.
The visitors' efforts were finally rewarded when another Senior in-swinging corner deceived everyone to land in the net at the far post.
Around the field, Elland play some excellent passing football and were every bit as good as their opponents, but they will have to find a way of cracking defences if they are to pull away from the drop zone.
Meanwhile Rastrick, who were relegated from Division I last season, seem to have stabilised and are now sitting comfortably in mid table. They will be hoping to make a more determined assault on promotion next season.
* VITAL POINTS: Rastrick Under 12s from Division II are pictured (back, from left) Jeremy Meadowcroft (manager), Lennon Shaw, Jake Denton, Oliver Ingram, Matthew Bottomley, Adam Watson John Hugh "Adam" Watson (August 10, 1914 – August 24, 2007) was a British International Relations theorist and researcher. Alongside Hedley Bull, Martin Wight, Herbert Butterfield, and others, he was one of the founding members of the English school of , Conner Murphy, Sam Smith, Andy Shaw (coach). Front: Ryan Mackie, Harry Fenney, Tom Meadowcroft, Jordan Howley, Jake Edley, Bailey Downs Pictures by Eric Kershaw (zyhudd200212redker) * MISSING OUT: Elland Under 12s (back, from left) Connor Hellens, Lewis Singleton, Liam Senior, Lucas Bowman, Nathan Hirst, Tom Norcliffe, Dominic Smith. Front: Darragh O'Malley, Lewis Storey, Darrin Williams, Henry Foulkes Henry Foulkes (b. circa 1773 – 17 September 1857) was Principal of Jesus College, Oxford from 1817 to his death. He holds the record for the long-serving Principal of the college. , Matthew Greidanus, Ben Bennett (zyhudd200212ellker) * HAT TRICK ACE: Sam Smith (blue shirt) rounds the keeper to score Rastrick's opening goal and the first of his three against Elland (zyhudd200212roundker) * THAT'S MINE: Rastrick keeper Conner Murphy grabs the ball to deny Lewis Storey (left) on an Elland raid in their Under 12 Division II clash (zyhudd200212keepker) * THAT'S ONE BACK: A Liam Senior corner deceives everyone to float into the net at the back post, but his Elland side were beaten
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)|
|Date:||Feb 21, 2012|
|Previous Article:||GRAYSON FAVOUR; Hoyle picks his man for new tilt at promotion.|
|Next Article:||Paddock want team.|