Printer Friendly

SALLY'S WALK TO DEATH; Missing girl found frozen in field.

MISSING teenager Sally Greig wandered off and froze to death in a farmer's field, it was revealed yesterday.

She had turned down help from a family who spotted her on a remote country road, in the early hours of Christmas Eve. They stopped their car and tried to offer her the use of a mobile phone.

But Sally, 18, of Perth, refused and then walked to her death, in the opposite direction to home, as temperatures fell to minus one.

A post mortem revealed there were no suspicious circumstances.

Sally, who had been at a works night-out, was only wearing a light suit and blouse. She had no coat.

It's thought she could have been in a confused state because of hypothermia. Her body was just 250 yards from the road and she appears to have lain down to sleep, never to wake up again.

Last night, her uncle Alex Greig said: "We cannot take comfort from anything at the moment.

"We just cannot take in what has happened. It doesn't seem to be real." He said Sally's parents Brian and Barbara and their other children - Scott, 17, and Joanne, 14 - were "shattered".

Mr Greig, 49, added: "She was a smashing girl. If you had a lass like that in your family, you would be well pleased."

Mr Greig runs a sub post office and shop in Abernethy with Sally's 35-year-old father.

And he broke down in tears as he told how his own two daughters were friends of the dead girl.

Sally, who was a receptionist at the Cherrybank Dental Centre in Perth, attended her work's Christmas party on Wednesday.

It was held at the rural Huntingtower Hotel outside Perth and she was seen by several people walking away from the building.

She was heading in the wrong direction.

Police also confirmed she had drunk a considerable amount.

After it was realised Sally was missing, well-meaning witnesses claimed to have seen her in the Jazz Bank nightclub in the centre of Perth.

Police believed a moonlighting taxi driver may have driven her between venues.

But the information was inaccurate.

Eventually, an RAF helicopter was called in yesterday morning as atrocious overnight weather improved.

The crew spotted her body two and a half miles from the hotel, below a pylon on Newbigging Farm, near the village of Tibbermore.

Last night, friends and colleagues were in shock.

Sally's flatmate, Heather Sharp, was "very, very distressed"

Her father David said: "They were inseparable. Sally herself was a great girl, one of the best."

Sally had promised Heather, 17, that she would meet her if she decided to leave the party early.

Heather, who moved in with Sally earlier this year, was expecting a call to go clubbing.

Staff at the Huntingtower Hotel were visibly upset when asked about the tragedy.

They declined to comment on the party.

At the Cherrybank dental practice, staff were also too upset to talk.
COPYRIGHT 1998 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1998 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Dec 28, 1998
Previous Article:Nats caught in war of wards.
Next Article:pounds 50m bill for storm mayhem.

Related Articles
Final farewell to tragic teenager.
Sally just wandered off .. to die alone in a freezing field; TRAGIC PARTY GIRL WHO REFUSED HELP.
Sally Froze To Death In A Field; She turned down help on icy night.
PARTY BOY 'KILLED BY THE COLD' Michael, 16, found on wasteground.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters