S.F. DEFIES STATE ORDER TO CUT IMMIGRANT CARE.
All women will continue receiving prenatal care from the city and county public health department, despite the governor's order to eliminate public services for undocumented immigrants.
Michael Wald, director of San Francisco's Department of Human Services, said Wednesday that his department also would continue to provide services to abused and neglected children regardless of their legal status.
``Governor (Pete) Wilson's executive order is about politics and not about policy,'' said Angie Wei, public policy director for the Northern California Coalition for Immigrant Rights. ``His maneuvering and politics is irresponsible. It sends out the message that (immigrants) should live in fear.''
Sandra Hernandez, San Francisco's director of public health, said she fears the new threat could keep all immigrants from seeking needed services, particularly prenatal care.
San Francisco receives about $400,000 a year in funds from the state for prenatal care for undocumented immigrants.
Wilson last week ordered state agencies to identify benefits received by undocumented immigrants that could be eliminated under the welfare reform act signed by President Clinton. Wilson's aides listed prenatal care chief among them.
The San Francisco Health Commission reacted with a resolution urging Mayor Willie L. Brown Jr. and the Board of Supervisors to support providing public benefits regardless of a person's legal status.
Wilson spokesman Sean Walsh warned that the city-county public health officials in San Francisco are required to comply with the governor's order.