Roxio Launches Toast 8 Titanium at Macworld Expo.Innovative New Capabilities and Mac Platform Firsts Include: TiVoToGo, Blu-ray Disc A Blu-ray Disc (also called BD) is a high-density optical disc format for the storage of digital information, including high-definition video. Overview
The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue-violet laser used to read and write this type of disc. Burning, Disc Cataloging, Cross-Platform Data Spanning and Recovery, and Advanced Audio Tools
SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco (săn frănsĭs`kō), city (1990 pop. 723,959), coextensive with San Francisco co., W Calif., on the tip of a peninsula between the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay, which are connected by the strait known as the Golden -- Roxio([R]), a division of Sonic Solutions Sonic Solutions NASDAQ: SNIC is a digital media company based in Novato, California, USA. It was created in 1986 by former Lucasfilm employees who developed the AudioDroid digital audio editing system as part of the Droidworks project. ([R]) (NASDAQ NASDAQ
in full National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations
U.S. market for over-the-counter securities. Established in 1971 by the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD), NASDAQ is an automated quotation system that reports on : SNIC SNIC Singapore National Institute of Chemistry
SNIC Snow and Ice Clearance
SNIC Sub-Network Independent Convergence (functions)
SNIC Standard Network Interface Card ), the leader in digital media software, today launched Toast([R]) 8 Titanium, a significant upgrade to its industry-leading Mac disc burning software. Continuing to enhance and extend the functionality of the Mac OS and iLife applications, Toast 8 offers a range of new innovative features and ground-breaking platform firsts that enable users to see, hear, copy, and enjoy their entire digital lives on a disc and on-the-go. Toast 8 is available today at www.roxio.com and at Macworld Expo booth #314.
Headlining Toast 8 are a number of unique new features and enhancements that help redefine the standard for disc burning on the Mac platform. Toast 8 brings TiVo([R]) and the Mac together for the first time, enabling users to enjoy their favorite TV programs on their Mac, burn them to disc, or easily convert them for viewing on a mobile device such as an iPod([R]) or PSP (PlayStation Portable) See PlayStation. [TM]. Complementing the features of iTunes, Toast 8 enables users to apply professional-quality tools to create superior sounding audio CD mixes and music DVDs. Going beyond the burning options included in Mac OS, Toast 8 introduces Blu-ray Disc burning, as well as automatic disc cataloging, cross-platform data spanning, and disc restoration.
"Toast revolutionized disc burning on the Mac, so it was the natural choice to help us bring TiVo to the platform," said Jim Denney, vice president, product marketing at TiVo. "Now, our two companies are taking that empowerment to the next level by extending TiVo's exclusive TiVoToGo feature to Mac users, giving them the ability to enjoy their favorite entertainment on the Mac, on DVD DVD: see digital versatile disc.
in full digital video disc or digital versatile disc
Type of optical disc. The DVD represents the second generation of compact-disc (CD) technology. , and on-the-go."
Toast 8 offers a familiar, yet streamlined user interface that offers intuitive visual feedback and a readily accessible media browser, which takes the efficiency of "drag, drop, and burn" to new heights. Users can now complete their projects faster and easier, while experiencing a richer and more engaging workflow.
"Toast's success is based on its unique ability to make both everyday and specialized tasks trivially easy to accomplish," said Vito Salvaggio, vice president, product management for Roxio, a division of Sonic Solutions. "Toast 8 continues this tradition and once again pushes the disc burning boundaries with exclusive features such as TiVoToGo and Blu-ray Disc support that will appeal to both new and existing customers."
Toast 8 Highlights:
* TV & Toast: Mac users can now enjoy their favorite TV shows on disc and on-the-go with Toast's exclusive support for digital video recorders, including TiVo and EyeTV. This support allows users to watch recorded shows on their Mac, burn them to DVD or DivX discs, or convert them for enjoyment on a portable player such as an iPod or PSP.
* Photo Discs: Toast 8 now makes it easy to share favorite photos with friends and family with the new Toast Photo Disc feature. Toast Photo Discs store thousands of full-resolution pictures as well as an auto-run slideshow. Discs can be played on a Windows PC An x86-based computer that runs some version of Windows. See x86 and Windows. or a Mac, or used in photo-finishing kiosks.
* Personalized Labels and Covers: Toast provides new ways to personalize your discs with labels, cover art, and inserts. Featuring full drawing and text editing The ability to change text by adding, deleting and rearranging letters, words, sentences and paragraphs. Text editing is the main operation users perform in word processors, which typically also handle graphics and other multimedia files. See text editor and word processing. tools, as well as over 600 clip art A set of canned images used to illustrate word processing and desktop publishing documents. images and Google image search Google Image Search is a search service created by Google which allows users to search the Web for image content. The feature was originally announced in December 2001. The keywords for the image search are based on the filename of the image, the link text pointing to the image, . Toast also supports LightScribe drives and media to allow users to burn artwork and labels directly on discs.
* Superior Sounding Discs: For the best listening and playback experience, Toast 8 provides DJ-style crossfades, volume normalization In relational database management, a process that breaks down data into record groups for efficient processing. There are six stages. By the third stage (third normal form), data are identified only by the key field in their record. tools, sound enhancing plug-ins, track trimming capabilities, and other features previously found in Roxio's Jam[TM] software. In addition to great sounding audio CDs, users can create 50-hour music DVDs complete with on-screen on·screen or on-screen
adj. & adv.
1. As shown on a movie, television, or display screen.
2. Within public view; in public. menus, shuffle play, and Dolby Digital A digital audio encoding system from Dolby used in movie and home theaters. First used in 1995, Dolby Digital employs Dolby's AC-3 (Audio Coding-3) coding and compression technology and is the standard for DVD-Video and HDTV.
* Music Rediscovery: Toast 8 lets consumers rediscover their analog music collections with the new CD Spin Doctor Assistant. This assistant guides users every step of the way, from setting up the equipment all the way through burning a disc or converting tracks for enjoyment on portable devices.
* Disc Recovery: Consumers can recover data from scratched or damaged discs that may be unreadable in the Mac OS Finder. Now with Toast 8's Disc Recovery tools, users can gracefully recover from read errors encountered during disc copying and recover some files from damaged discs to create new clean copies of the previously unreadable disc.
* Back-up and Convert DVDs: Users can backup an entire 9 GB DVD to a standard 4.7 GB DVD disc. Fit-to-DVD([TM]) compression uses all available disc space to maximize video quality. Toast also features Director's Cut director's cut
The version of a film in which the editing process is overseen, executed, or approved by the director, usually including footage not included in the standard release. custom compilations, so users can select the specific video, audio, and languages they wish to record or convert individual video files for use on a portable video player A handheld device that plays videos. The term may refer to lightweight flash-based or hard disk-based MP4 players that download video content from a computer or to heavier, but still very portable, devices that play DVDs. See portable DVD player, Portable Media Center and portable media player. .
* Blu-ray Disc Recording: Only Toast brings Blu-ray Disc burning to the Mac platform, enabling users to store as many as 12,500 music tracks, 50,000 photos, or up to four hours of high-definition video This article is about high-definition video technology. For television systems, see High-definition television. For the tape format, see HDV. For compression and prerecorded media, see High-definition pre-recorded media and compression. on a single 50 GB Blu-ray Disc. Toast's Dynamic Writing feature allows consumers to use a Blu-ray Disc recorder like a giant hard drive by dragging and dropping content directly onto the disc icon on the desktop to add or remove files.
* Disc Cataloging and Instant Search: Users can automatically catalog the contents of their discs so they can track the contents even when the disc is no longer in the drive. This works automatically with discs created in Toast, as well as with previously burned and commercial discs, such as audio CDs.
* Data Spanning: Breaking through the size limitations of other burning software, the Toast 8 data-spanning feature lets users safely back-up data of any size, such as entire music or photo libraries, iMovie projects, and DV files. The feature automatically splits files and folders across multiple discs, and maintains the exact folder and file structure for easy retrieval on any Mac OS X, Windows XP The previous client version of Windows. XP was a major upgrade to the client version of Windows 2000 with numerous changes to the user interface. XP improved support for gaming, digital photography, instant messaging, wireless networking and sharing connections to the Internet. , or Windows Vista The current version of Windows for the desktop. It was released in late 2006 for businesses and early 2007 for consumers.
Vista adds numerous features, including improved security and advanced multimedia capabilities. system. Data spanning is an ideal way for Mac users in homes, schools, or businesses to share large files with Mac and PC users in other locations.
Pricing and Availability:
Toast 8 Titanium is available now for purchase direct from Roxio at www.roxio.com, and will be widely available from e-tailers and retail outlets this month. The suggested price is $99.99. Owners of previous versions may be eligible for upgrade offers. Special pricing and unique discount bundles are available at Roxio's Macworld Expo booth #314, or by visiting Roxio's 'virtual' Macworld store (www.roxio.com/macworld) through January 14th.
Roxio, a division of Sonic Solutions, develops and markets the best-selling digital media software in the world. Roxio offers award-winning software products for CD/DVD burning, photo editing and video editing and has an installed base of over 350 million users. Roxio distributes its products globally through strategic partnerships with major hardware manufacturers, through leading retailers, through Internet partnerships and through direct sales at www.roxio.com.
Roxio's parent company, Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC www.sonic.com) is the leader in digital media software and provides a broad range of software tools and applications for creative professionals, business and home users and technology partners. Sonic's products range from professional DVD authoring systems and interactive content delivery technologies that are used to produce the majority of Hollywood movies released on DVD, to the award-winning Roxio- and Sonic-branded CD and DVD creation, playback and backup applications that have become the premier solutions for consumers and business users worldwide. Sonic's AuthorScript([R]) is the de facto standard Hardware or software that is widely used, but not endorsed by a standards organization. Contrast with de jure standard.
de facto standard - A widespread consensus on a particular product or protocol which has not been ratified by any official standards body, such as ISO, for CD and DVD burning and formatting and has been licensed by major software and hardware manufacturers, including Adobe, Broadcom, Microsoft, Scientific-Atlanta, Sony, and many others. Sonic Solutions is headquartered in Marin County, California Marin County (IPA: /məˈrɪn/) is a county located in the North San Francisco Bay Area of the U.S. state of California, across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. As of 2000, the population was 247,289. .
Forward Looking Statement
This press release may contain forward looking statements that are based upon current expectations, including the launch and market acceptance of Toast 8 Titanium. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward looking statements as a result of various risks and uncertainties, including those discussed in the Company's annual and quarterly reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. This press release should be read in conjunction with the Company's most recent annual report on Form 10-K Form 10-K
A report required by the SEC from exchange-listed companies that provides for annual disclosure of certain financial information.
See 10-K. , Form 10-Q Form 10-Q
See 10-Q. and other reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which contain a more detailed discussion of the Company's business including risks and uncertainties that may affect future results. The Company does not undertake to update any forward looking statements.
Sonic, Sonic Solutions, Roxio, Toast, CD Spin Doctor, Jam, Fit-to-DVD, and AuthorScript are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sonic Solutions or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. Specifications, pricing and delivery schedules are subject to change without notice.