Restricting insurance coverage of abortion.
* 5 states restrict insurance coverage of abortion in private insurance plans; 4 limit coverage to cases when the woman's life is endangered; 1 limits coverage to life endangerment, rape and incest. Additional abortion coverage is permitted only through purchase of an additional rider and payment of an additional premium.
* 12 states restrict abortion coverage in insurance plans for public employees.
* 3 of the states provide abortion coverage only when the woman's life is endangered.
* 6 of the states, in addition to offering coverage to save the woman's life, provide coverage to protect the woman's health or in cases of rape, incest or fetal abnormality.
* 2 of the states flatly prohibit any insurance coverage of abortion for public employees.
* 1 of the states only allows coverage of abortion in cases of life endangerment, rape and incest, if the coverage is purchased by the enrollee through an additional rider and at additional cost.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
For information on state legislative and policy activity click on Guttmacher's Monthly State Update and for state level information and data on reproductive health issues, click on Guttmacher's State Center. To see state specific abortion information click on State Facts About Abortion.
Kurth A et al., Reproductive and sexual health benefits in private health insurance plans in Washington State, Family Planning Perspectives, 2001, 33(4):153-160 & 179.
The Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI), Uneven & Unequal: Insurance Coverage and Reproductive Health Services, New York: AGI, 1994.
RESTRICTING INSURANCE COVERAGE OF ABORTION PRIVATE INSURANCE POLICIES Limited Limited to to Life Life, Rape STATE Endangerment * and Incest * Colorado Idaho X Illinois Kentucky X Massachusetts Mississippi Missouri X Nebraska North Dakota X Ohio Oklahoma X Pennsylvania Rhode Island (a) South Carolina Virginia TOTAL 4 1 INSURANCE POLICIES FOR PUBLIC EMPLOYEES Abortion Coverage Offered in Cases of: STATE Life Health Colorado Idaho Illinois X Kentucky Massachusetts X ([dagger]) X ([dagger]) Mississippi X Missouri Nebraska X ([double dagger]) North Dakota X Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania X Rhode Island X South Carolina X Virginia X TOTAL 9 1 INSURANCE POLICIES FOR PUBLIC EMPLOYEES Abortion Coverage Offered in Cases of: Rape/ STATE Health Incest Colorado Idaho Illinois Kentucky Massachusetts X ([dagger]) Mississippi X Missouri Nebraska North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania X Rhode Island X South Carolina X Virginia X TOTAL 1 5 INSURANCE POLICIES FOR PUBLIC EMPLOYEES Abortion Coverage Coverage in Cases of Life, Rape Never and Incest Allowed By Purchase STATE Offered of Rider at an Additional Cost Colorado X Idaho Illinois Kentucky X Massachusetts Mississippi Missouri Nebraska North Dakota Ohio X Oklahoma Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina Virginia TOTAL 2 1 (a) Enforcement permanently enjoined by court order; policy not in effect. * Additional abortion coverage is available only at an additional cost. ([dagger]) State specifically prohibits coverage of postviability "partial-birth" abortions. ([double dagger]) The individual employee must bear the cost of abortion coverage for other circumstances.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||State Policies in Brief (Series)|
|Article Type:||Statistical table|
|Date:||Apr 1, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Requirements for ultrasound.|
|Next Article:||Refusing to provide health services.|