Research corner.This section features a few titles of the latest published research in oral health, the authors of the published research, and the journals of publication. The search terms used through the US National Library of Medicine's database, PubMed, were "dental hygiene", "innovations in oral health" and "dental hygiene education".
The work by researchers in the field of oral health is critical to the practice of the profession, and to client care. Please visit http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ for the entire articles, or access these articles through your university libraries.
1. A 57-year follow-up of occlusal changes, oral health, and attitudes toward teeth.
Stenvik A, Espeland L, Berg RE.
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Apr;139(4 Suppl): S102-8.
2. Probiotics affect the clinical inflammatory parameters of experimental gingivitis gingivitis (jĭn'jəvī`tĭs), inflammation of the gums. It may be acute, subacute, chronic, or recurrent. The gums usually become red, swollen, and spongy, and bleed easily. in humans.
Slawik S, Staufenbiel I, Schilke R, Nicksch S, Weinspach K, Stiesch M, Eberhard J.
Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 Mar 30. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Comparative analysis of microorganism species succession on three implant surfaces with different roughness: an in vivo study.
de Freitas MM, da Silva CH, Groisman M, Vidigal GM Jr. Implant Dent. 2011 Apr;20(2):e14-23.
4. Oral care practices among critical care nurses in Singapore: a questionnaire survey.
Chan EY, Hui-Ling Ng I.
Appl Nurs Res. 2011 Mar 23. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Oral health reflections from the 2010 National Australian Rural and Remote Allied Health Conference.
Carboon C, McCarthy C.
Aust J Rural Health. 2011 Apr;19(2):105-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1584.2011.01193.X. No abstract available.
6. Does orthodontic treatment lead to gingival gingival (jin´jv recession?
Evid Based Dent. 2011;12(1):20.
7. Some factors associated with dental caries in the primary dentition of children with Down syndrome.
Mathias MF, Simionato MR, Guare RO.
Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2011 Mar;12(1):37-42.
8. Clinical evaluation of demineralization demineralization /de·min·er·al·iza·tion/ (de-min?er-al-i-za´shun) excessive elimination of mineral or organic salts from tissues of the body.
n. and remineralization remineralization /re·min·er·al·i·za·tion/ (re-min?er-al-i-za´shun) restoration of mineral elements, as of calcium salts to bone.
n. of intact root surface lesions in the clinic by a quantitative light-induced fluorescence system.
Durmusoglu O, Tagtekin DA, Yanikoglu F.
Lasers Med Sci. 2011 Mar 22. [Epub ahead of print]
9. The Role of Keratinized Mucosa in Peri-Implant Health. Esper LA, Ferreira Junior SB, Kaizer RF, Almeida AL.
Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2011 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Association of self-perceived periodontal status with oral hygiene, probing depth and alveolar bone level among young adults.
Levin L, Bechor R, Sandler V, Samorodnitzky-Naveh G.
N Y State Dent J. 2011 Jan;77(1):29-32.
11. The oral health knowledge and oral hygiene practices among primary school children age 5-17 years in a rural area of Uasin Gishu district, Kenya.
Okemwa KA, Gatongi PM, Rotich JK.
East Afr J Public Health. 2010 Jun;7(2):187-90.
12. Integration of an oral health curriculum into a physician assistant program.
Anderson KL, Smith BS, Maseman DC.
J Allied Health. 2011 Spring;40(1):19-24.
13. Dental hygienists' evaluation of local anesthesia education and administration in the United States.
Boynes SG, Zovko J, Bastin MR, Grillo MA, Shingledecker BD.
J Dent Hyg. 2011;85(1):67--74. Epub 2011 Jan 1.
14. Status of current dental hygiene faculty and perceptions of important qualifications for future faculty.
Coplen AE, Klausner CP, Taichman LS.
J Dent Hyg. 2011;85(1):57-66. Epub 2011 Jan 1.
15. The nonmedical use of prescription stimulants among dental and dental hygiene students.
McNiel AD, Muzzin KB, Dewald JP, McCann AL, Schneiderman ED, Scofield J, Campbell PR.
J Dent Educ. 2011 Mar;75(3):365-76.
16. North Carolina internists' and endocrinologists' knowledge, opinions, and behaviors regarding periodontal disease and diabetes: need and opportunity for interprofessional education.
Owens JB, Wilder RS, Southerland JH, Buse JB, Malone RM.
J Dent Educ. 2011 Mar;75(3):329-38.
17. Oral health knowledge, attitude and practices among Nigerian primary school teachers.
Ehizele A, Chiwuzie J, Ofili A.
Int J Dent Hyg. 2011 Jan 24. doi: 10.1111/j.1601-5037.2010.00498.x. [Epub ahead of print]
18. A discourse on dental hygiene education in Canada Education in Canada is provided, funded and overseen by federal, provincial, and local governments. Education is within provinicial jurisdiction and the curriculum is overseen by the province. . Kanji Z, Sunell S, Boschma G, Imai P, Craig B.
Int J Dent Hyg. 2010 Dec 22. doi: 10.1111/J.1601-5037.2010.00495.x. [Epub ahead of print]
19. Attitudes and perceptions towards oral hygiene tasks among geriatric nursing home staff.
Forsell M, Sjogren P, Kullberg E, Johansson O, Wedel we·del
intr.v. we·deled, we·del·ling, we·dels
To ski on snow by means of wedeln.
[Back-formation from wedeln.]
Verb 1. P, Herbst B, Hoogstraate J.
Int J Dent Hyg. 2010 Aug 2. doi:10.1111/j.1601-5037.2010.00477.x. [Epub ahead of print]
20. Alternative practice dental hygiene in California: past, present, and future.
Mertz E, Glassman P.
J Calif Dent Assoc. 2011 Jan;39(1):37-46.
21. Inconsistencies in recommendations on oral hygiene practices for children by professional dental and paediatric organisations in ten countries.
Dos Santos AP, Nadanovsky P, De Oliveira BH.
Int J Paediatr Dent. 2011 Feb 20. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-263X.2011.01115.x. [Epub ahead of print]
22. Exploring the oral microbiota Microbiota (human)
Microbial flora harbored by normal, healthy individuals. A number of microorganisms have become adapted to a particular site or ecologic niche in or on their host. of children at various developmental stages of their dentition dentition, kind, number, and arrangement of the teeth of humans and other animals. During the course of evolution, teeth were derived from bony body scales similar to the placoid scales on the skin of modern sharks. in the relation to their oral health.
Crielaard W, Zaura E, Schuller AA, Huse SM, Montijn RC, Keijser BJ.
BMC (BMC Software, Inc., Houston, TX, www.bmc.com) A leading supplier of software that supports and improves the availability, performance, and recovery of applications in complex computing environments. Med Genomics. 2011 Mar 4;4:22.
23. Innovations in global dentifrice dentifrice /den·ti·frice/ (den´ti-fris) a preparation for cleansing and polishing the teeth; it may contain a therapeutic agent, such as fluoride, to inhibit dental caries.
n. technology: an advanced stannous-containing sodium fluoride dentifrice.
He T, Britt M, Biesbrock AR.
Am J Dent. 2010 Sep;23 Spec No B:3B-10B. Review.
24. Oral health disparities and the workforce: a framework to guide innovation.
Hilton IV, Lester AM.
J Public Health Dent. 2010 Jun;70 Suppl 1:S15-23.