Research and Markets: New Federal Personal Health Information Breach Notification Law: HITECH Act - a Tsunami of Opportunity.
New federal legislation designed to improve the nation's quality and coordination of medical care has created a perfect storm at the intersection of the health care and financial industries. Physicians and hospitals will be rushing to go online to take advantage of temporary monetary incentives. Handled well, prospects for enhanced medical care are considerable. But if the online transfers aren't handled properly, the opportunities generated will benefit data thieves, rather than health care. And with a new national data breach notification requirement in place for personal health information, the impact of the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) could be staggering. This report explains the new federal requirements extending HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996, Public Law 104-191) Also known as the "Kennedy-Kassebaum Act," this U.S. law protects employees' health insurance coverage when they change or lose their jobs (Title I) and provides standards for patient health, security and privacy and addresses the impact of this bill to the financial and health care industry.
* What are the terms and conditions of the new federal breach notification requirements for personal health information?
* How will the new federal breach notification requirements for personal health information affect existing industries?
* What types of exposure may be created by the rush to put personal health information online to claim monetary incentives?
* How can that exposure be mitigated?
* How do consumers rate the impact of personal health information breaches?
* How many consumers reported medical breaches in 2008?
* How can this number be expected to change with the new notification laws?
* What types of fraud do medical records breaches permit?
Consumer data from Javelin's annual Identity Fraud Survey was used in this report. The survey is conducted each year using Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI) is a telephone surveying technique in which the interviewer follows a script provided by a software application. The software is able to customize the flow of the questionnaire based on the answers provided, as well as (CATI CATI Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing
CATI California Agricultural Technology Institute
CATI Center for Advanced Technology & Innovation
CATI Carolina Association of Translators & Interpreters ) via Random-Digit-Dialing (RDD RDD Random Digit Dialing
RDD RDF (Resource Description Framework) Declarative Description
RDD Radiological Dispersal Device
RDD Rights Data Dictionary
RDD Radiological Dispersion Device
RDD Respiratory Drug Delivery ). The total number of respondents In the context of marketing research, a representative sample drawn from a larger population of people from whom information is collected and used to develop or confirm marketing strategy. was 4874 in 2008, 5,075 in 2007; 5,006 in 2006; 5,003 in 2005; 5,004 in 2004; and 4,000 in 2003. The survey targeted respondents based on representative proportions of gender, age, and income compared to all U.S. adult consumers. Overall margin of sampling error is +/- 1.4% at the 95% confidence level.
For questions answered by all 487 identity fraud victims, the maximum margin of sampling error is +/- 4.4% at the 95% confidence level. For questions answered by a proportion of all identity fraud victims, the maximum margin of sampling error varies and is greater than +/- 4.4% at the 95% confidence level.
This report is also based on data collected from an online survey of a random-sample panel of 441 data breach victims in May 2008. The overall margin of sampling error is 4.67 percentage points at the 95% confidence level.
Key Topics Covered:
* Primary Questions
* Findings and Analysis
* New Federal Personal Health Information Breach Notification Law
* ARRA's "HITECH" Expands HIPAA Privacy and Security Protections
* New Federal Personal Health Information Breach Notification Requirement
* State Medical Breach Laws Already in Effect
* Notification Requirements
* Changes in HIPAA Definitions
* What Fraud Types Can Be Generated from Breached PHI phi
Symbol The 21st letter of the Greek alphabet.
n See health information, protected. ?
* Medical Records and Health Insurance Information Permit New Account Frauds
* Medical Record Breaches Result in Serious Injury to Victims
* State Data Breach Notification Laws
* Consequences of ARRA
* Update on New National Personal Health Information Breach Requirement
* Related Research
* Companies Mentioned
* American National Standards Institute See ANSI.
(body, standard) American National Standards Institute - (ANSI) The private, non-profit organisation (501(c)3) responsible for approving US standards in many areas, including computers and communications. ANSI is a member of ISO.
* HHS HHS Department of Health and Human Services.
* Congressional Budget Office The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is responsible for economic forecasting and fiscal policy analysis, scorekeeeping, cost projections, and an Annual Report on the Federal Budget. The office also underdakes special budget-related studies at the request of Congress.
* Centres for Medicare and Medicaid Medicare and Medicaid
U.S. government programs in effect since 1966. Medicare covers most people 65 or older and those with long-term disabilities. Part A, a hospital insurance plan, also pays for home health visits and hospice care. Services
* Federal Trade Commission
* Microsoft Health Vault vault, ceiling over a room, formed in any one of a variety of curved shapes. Nature of Vaults
A vault is generally composed of separate units of material, such as bricks, tiles, or blocks of stone, so shaped or cut that when assembled they form a
* Google Health
* Government Accountability Office The Government Accountability Office (GAO) is the audit, evaluation, and investigative arm of the United States Congress, and thus an agency in the Legislative Branch of the United States Government.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/0f225a/new_federal_person
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Apr 9, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Floresta Launches Plant With Purpose to Restore the Environment and Reverse Poverty Worldwide.|
|Next Article:||BAE Systems Receives $35.3 Million Award for Outer Tactical Vest from Defense Logistics Agency.|