Research and Markets: Latin America - Convergence, Broadband, & Internet Market.
Broadband penetration in Latin America is about 27% below the world average. This slow uptake has been largely due to the high prices charged by providers, which often have a virtual monopoly in their areas of operation. Competition, however, is increasing and prices are dropping. Indeed, Latin America was the world's fastest-growing broadband market in the fourth quarter of 2008. ADSL See DSL.
ADSL - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line is the prevalent technology, followed by cable modem. Mobile broadband, only two years after launch, has managed to attract about 5 million subscribers. WiMAX, on the other hand, after suffering serious setbacks due to licensing delays, has been further knocked back by the global financial crisis. The pay TV market has also been hit by the economic downturn. This report provides an overview of the region's Internet, broadband, convergence, and pay TV markets, accompanied by relevant statistics and analyses.
Key Topics Covered:
* One Laptop per Child See OLPC. project
* Cable modems
* Asynchronous Refers to events that are not synchronized, or coordinated, in time. The following are considered asynchronous operations. The interval between transmitting A and B is not the same as between B and C. The ability to initiate a transmission at either end. Digital Subscriber Line See DSL.
(communications, protocol) Digital Subscriber Line - (DSL, or Digital Subscriber Loop, xDSL - see below) A family of digital telecommunications protocols designed to allow high speed data communication over the existing copper telephone lines between end-users and (ADSL)
* Wireless broadband
* Mobile broadband
* Broadband Powerline (BPL)
* Overview of media convergence
* Triple play models
* Pay TV
* Broadband TV (IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) Also called "TV over IP," IPTV delivers scheduled TV programs and video-on-demand (VOD) via the IP protocol and digital streaming techniques used to watch video on the Internet. )
* Digital Terrestrial TV (DTTV See digital cable. )
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/10f29d/latin_america_co
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Jul 16, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Acculynk Partners with AirTran Airways to Expand Online Payment Options.|
|Next Article:||Glowpoint Forecasts Record Second Quarter Revenue.|