RPA Assembly offers roadmap to recovery.The Regional Plan Association (RPA RPA Remote Patron Authentication
RPA Rural Payments Agency (UK Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)
RPA Replication Protein A
RPA RNAse Protection Assay
RPA Regional Plan Association
RPA Random-Phase Approximation ) will present diverse points of view on how to address some of the most crucial problems facing the tri-state region at its seventh annual Regional Assembly entitled "The Road to Recovery" on Tuesday, April 8th at the Sheraton New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of Hotel & Towers in Manhattan.
Comptroller Alan Hevesi, whose recent report "New York City New York City: see New York, city.
New York City
City (pop., 2000: 8,008,278), southeastern New York, at the mouth of the Hudson River. The largest city in the U.S. Economy: Fourth Quarter of 1996" painted a grim picture of a city lagging far behind most American cities, will discuss why he believes we are being outperformed by the rest of the nation.
"There is a disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street," Hevesi said. "While the experts and the specialists in the city are flourishing, unemployment remains the highest of any large city.'
A series of workshops will offer solutions on how to move our region forward. Among the questions to be raised and debated are:
* Can "tunnel vision tunnel vision
Vision in which the visual field is severely constricted.
n a defect in sight in which a great reduction occurs in the peripheral field of vision, as if one is looking through " help us dig our way out of the Gowanus mess and other traffic disasters?
* Does New York City's 'regional government" work - or is a new form of local government needed to overcome a democracy deficit?
* Will the tri-state region get its fair share of federal ISTEA ISTEA Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act
ISTEA Initial Screening Training Effectiveness Analysis money - or will our mass transit and highway systems be short-changed by Western and Southern power brokers?
* Is our use of the local property tax to fund education hurting our poorer communities while encouraging unchecked sprawl?
* Is Harlem's 125th Street an indicator of whether it is boom or bust time for our urban centers"?
* Can we take advantage of the recreational, environmental and commercial opportunities offered by the New York-New Jersey Harbor?
* How can we restore contaminated contaminated,
v 1. made radioactive by the addition of small quantities of radioactive material.
2. made contaminated by adding infective or radiographic materials.
3. an infective surface or object. eyesores known as brownfields?
One of the most controversial ideas to be discussed at the Assembly is NYC NYC
New York City
NYC New York City Centennial panelist Gerald Benjamin's assertion that New York City needs a new form of local government to replace the outmoded boroughs. In an upcoming book co-authored with SUNY SUNY - State University of New York Professor Richard Nathan, he proposes that New York City create towns and villages to improve service delivery and reconnect its citizens with their local government.
"The Road to Recovery" will be held on Tuesday, April 8 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers, Seventh Avenue at 52nd Street in Manhattan. The fee, including continental breakfast and lunch, is $85 for RPA members and $95 for non-members. For information call RPA at (212) 980-8530 ext. 309.