REMOTE USERS CONNECT TO UNIX WITH REFLECTION X ADVANTAGE 2.0.Attachmate Corporation, Seattle, has announced Attachmate(r) Reflection(r) X Advantage version 2.0, a multiplatform X server that connects remote Windows, UNIX UNIX
Operating system for digital computers, developed by Ken Thompson of Bell Laboratories in 1969. It was initially designed for a single user (the name was a pun on the earlier operating system Multics). , Linux and Mac desktop users to graphical UNIX-based applications. Enhanced with Open Graphics Library (OpenGL) and Secure Shell (SSH (Secure SHell) A security protocol for logging into a remote server. SSH provides an encrypted session for transferring files and executing server programs. Also serving as a secure client/server connection for applications such as database access and e-mail, SSH supports a ) support, this market-leading solution boasts a new architecture designed to optimize performance for high-latency and low-bandwidth networks.
In a time when IT organizations are looking to reduce resources and do more with less, Reflection X Advantage helps organizations align with green computing Green computing is the study and practice of using computing resources efficiently. Typically, technological systems or computing products that incorporate green computing principles take into account the so-called triple bottom line of economic viability, social responsibility, standards and cut IT costs by extending the life and reach of existing applications and servers. When consolidating data center assets through server virtualization (1) Running applications in separate, isolated partitions within a single server. The "virtual machine" method can run different operating systems simultaneously, whereas the "OS virtualization" method runs applications for only one operating system (see virtual machine and OS and the elimination of replicated servers, Reflection X Advantage helps organizations by providing remote application access for users who are no longer co-located with their UNIX host system.
"Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 offers unparalleled support to remote and mobile users who need access to graphical UNIX applications, with improved performance and more freedom when using these applications in different locations," said Sam Morris, product marketing manager at Attachmate. "In addition, by driving server consolidation in the data center, Reflection X helps IT organizations reduce energy resources and align with green computing standards which can result in significant cost savings."
Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 allows users to experience the rich visual display and reliable security they need to get their jobs done whether it's from the office, the road or around the globe. New enhancements and functionality include:
* Access to the Latest Linux Desktops Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 allows users to display GNOME gnome (nōm), in folklore, tiny subterranean creature associated with mines and quarries. Usually represented as misshapen, frequently as hunchbacked, gnomes are said to be guardians of hidden treasures. and KDE (K Desktop Environment) A GUI-based user interface primarily for Unix and Linux machines, but also available for Windows and Mac. The source code is freely distributed and is maintained by developers around the world. desktops from a Windows PC An x86-based computer that runs some version of Windows. See x86 and Windows. , a Mac OS X workstation or another Linux workstation. Desktop sessions can be suspended and resumed, or transferred to another workstation seamlessly.
* "Beyond-the-Building" Access Organizations can deliver core assets to users around the globe - without jeopardizing performance. A fault tolerance See fault tolerant.
(architecture) fault tolerance - 1. The ability of a system or component to continue normal operation despite the presence of hardware or software faults. This often involves some degree of redundancy.
2. feature improves productivity by allowing users to recover X sessions that have been interrupted by workstation crashes or network outages A network outage is an interruption in availability of a system due to the communication failure of the network. Network outages cost money directly to the organisation (for example Banks, Airlines, Online Transaction companies); or cost money indirectly to customers ISP, . With high-latency and low-bandwidth optimization, Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 gives remote users reliable access to X applications.
* Project Continuity Today's mobile workforce require solutions that allow them to start a project in the office and then pick it up from a different location, collaborate with coworkers in other locations and share documents or application user interfaces in real time. With a distributed architecture, Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 allows X applications to be launched, suspended, resumed, transferred and shared.
* High-Level Security Reflection X Advantage version 2.0 includes the latest SSH and SSL/TLS SSL/TLS Secure Socket Layer/Transport Security (IETF) encryption The reversible transformation of data from the original (the plaintext) to a difficult-to-interpret format (the ciphertext) as a mechanism for protecting its confidentiality, integrity and sometimes its authenticity. Encryption uses an encryption algorithm and one or more encryption keys. with a cryptographic module validated for FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) A series of publications issed by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) that specifies information security guidelines for federal government departments and agencies. 140-2, one of the U.S. government's top security standards.
"Reflection X Advantage has been an invaluable tool because it's critical that I access my Linux desktop from a Windows PC on a daily basis," said Klaus Eckert, Linux application developer at ProContour GmbH. "I've been really impressed with the product's performance and multi-monitor support. In addition, I can now securely connect to my Linux desktop with SSH."
Reflection X Advantage is just one component of the Reflection X family of products which provides secure, comprehensive desktop-to-UNIX connectivity. Trusted for more than 15 years, Reflection X solutions enable users to access mission-critical UNIX applications, from those with a simple character-based terminal interface to applications with complex 3D graphical rendering.
Reflection X Advantage Version 2.0 is available immediately for purchase. For more information on pricing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To evaluate Reflection X Advantage version 2.0, please visit: http://www.attachmate.com/Evals/rx/rx-eval-option.htm.
Attachmate delivers advanced software for terminal emulation Using software in a desktop machine to make it perform like a hardware terminal. The emulated terminal is typically in the VT100-500 family, designed originally by Digital Equipment. , application integration, and secure communications. Our NetIQ business provides solutions for automating IT processes and managing the performance, security, and compliance of your distributed IT. With our technologies, more than 65,000 businesses worldwide are putting their IT assets to work in new and meaningful ways.
Attachmate has been helping businesses extend, manage, and secure their IT investments for more than 26 years. Headquartered in Seattle, Wash., Attachmate has offices and partners all over the globe. We are widely recognized for our innovative products, easy business transactions, and exceptional customer service. For more information please visit http://www.attachmate.com.