Quiz wizard: the Titanic: how much do you know about what's in this issue of JS? Take this quiz after reading the World History Play on pp. 16-19.
Fill in the letter of the correct answer for each of the following.
1. The Titanic sank because:
[A] it hit an iceberg.
[B] its boiler exploded.
[C] it was torpedoed by a German submarine.
[D] too many people were aboard.
2. About how many of the more than 2,200 people aboard died?
3. So many people died when the Titanic sank because:
[A] it sank within an hour.
[B] no ship came to rescue them.
[C] there weren't enough lifeboats for everyone.
[D] third-class passengers were slow to get onto the boats.
4. In which of the following groups did the highest percentage of passengers survive?
[A] can't tell--information not in play
[C] first-class passengers
[D] third-class passengers
5. The tragedy might have been prevented if the Titanic:
[A] had been better designed
[B] had been made with better steel
[C] had slowed down or stopped
[D] all of the above
1. Why do you think that 100 years later, people still find the story of the Titanic so compelling?
2. One officer theatened to shoot men who tried to get into the lifeboats. Was he justified? Explain.
3. After an American oceanographer discovered the wreck of the Titanic in 1985, one survivor called him a grave-robber. Do you think she was right or wrong? Explain.
l.A; 2.D; 3.C; 4.C; 5.D