* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line provided.
--1. Nancy Pelosi is second in line to the presidency.
--2. As Speaker, Pelosi sets the agenda for the Senate.
--3. The issues of energy independence and global warming should be a very high priority for the Congress.
--4. If anything were to happen to the Speaker, the Vice President would move into the job.
--5. Pelosi should communicate more with Republican lawmakers.
USA: JOBS IN YOUR FUTURE, PAGES 8-9
* Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
--6. The science of creating and using objects as tiny as one billionth of a meter is called what?
--7. Biomedicine is a science that studies what?
A. how doctors will treat diseases of the future
B. how organisms withstand environmental stress
C. how to build tiny tools and medications
D. illnesses caused by changes in climate
--8. What is outsourcing?
A. drilling for oil in international waters
B. moving factories closer to corporate headquarters
C. moving jobs to places with lower labor costs
D. shipping goods from one country to another
--9. Good people skills and a sense of adventure are requirements for which type of work? A. biomedicine
B. robot design
C. space tourism
D. video-game development
--10. According to experts, earning a "livable wage" in the future will require what?
A. college degree
B. good people skills
C. high school diploma
D. medical training
WORLD: THE NEW VIETNAM, PAGES 10-13
* Put the events below into correct chronological order by writing the appropriate number (1st-5th) in front of each.
--11. Vietnam's Communist leaders loosen restrictions on businesses and the economy
--12. The Vietnam War ends.
--13. The U.S. sends military advisers to South Vietnam.
--14. U.S. troops withdraw from Vietnam
--15. Vietcong guerrillas begin attacking South Vietnam.
AMERICAN HISTORY: MARGARET BOURKE-WHITE: PHOTO JOURNALIST, PAGES 14-17
* Use a word from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
Emmett Chapman, cancer, concentration camp, Jimmy Doolittle, Fortune magazine, Life magazine, Henry Luce, malaria, military base, Parkinson's disease, People magazine, the Vietnam War, World War I, World War II
16. Bourke-White's big break came when she was hired by magazine publisher--
17. Bourke-White's photograph of Fort Peck Dam was on the cover of the first issue of--
18. Bourke-White went along on dangerous military missions as a correspondent during--
19. Bourke-White was with U.S. troops in April 1945, when they liberated a Nazi--
20. Bourke-White had to give up photography when she became ill with--
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Junior Scholastic QUIZ|
|Date:||Mar 12, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Celebrating women's history.|
|Next Article:||Word find challenge: Vietnam.|