NEWS SPECIAL.: ENDANGERED LANDMARKS, PAGE 6
* Match each phrase or place name in the left column with the correct description in the right column. --1. Chinguetti, a holy city A. imperiled by rising of Islam seas and hurricanes --2. architecture of New B. suffered damage Orleans, Louisiana to ancient mosaics --3. Hagia Sophia, a 6th-century C. endangered by cathedral melting permafrost --4. Inuit site on D. is collaborating Herschel Island with UNESCO --5. World Monuments E. threatened by Fund spreading desert
DEBATE: CELEBRITIES IN POLITICS?, PAGE 7
* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line (Print.) a vacant space of the breadth of a line, on a printed page; a line of quadrats.
See also: Blank provided.
--6. Bono should stick to making music.
--7. Cameron Diaz campaigns for environmental causes.
--8. Celebrities have personal opinions.
--9. George Clooney George Timothy Clooney (May 6, 1961) is an American actor, director, producer and screenwriter who gained fame as the lead doctor in the long-running television drama, ER testified before Congress about greeenhouse gases.
--10. Russell Simmons Russell Simmons (born October 4 ,1957 in Queens, New York), is an American entrepreneur, the co-founder, with Rick Rubin, of the pioneering hip-hop label Def Jam, founder of another label, Russell Simmons Music Group, and creator of the clothing fashion line Phat Farm. supports too many causes.
WORLD: IRAN Iran (ērän`, ĭrăn`), officially Islamic Republic of Iran, republic (2005 est. pop. 68,018,000), 636,290 sq mi (1,648,000 sq km), SW Asia. The country's name was changed from Persia to Iran in 1935. : THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD?, PAGES 10-14
* Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
--11. Which city is Iran's capital?
A. Khaavar City
--12. Who is the President of Iran The President of Iran is the head of government. The current president is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Role in the state
In contrast with most republics, the effective head of Iran's political establishment is not the president, but rather the Supreme Leader ?
A. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
B. Majid Ghorbani
C. Saddam Hussein
D. Ahmad Shirzad
--13. For Iraq and the U.S., what ended during Iran's Islamic Revolution of 1979?
A. an arms race
B. diplomatic ties
C. political differences
D. a state of war
--14. The UN imposed sanctions on Iran as a way to limit what?
A. child labor child labor, use of the young as workers in factories, farms, and mines. Child labor was first recognized as a social problem with the introduction of the factory system in late 18th-century Great Britain.
B. Islamic rule
C. nuclear activity
D. public protest
--15. Most Iranians are of which ethnic group?
AMERICAN HISTORY: CHIEF BIG BUSINESS TAKES CHARGE, PAGES 16-19
* Use a word from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
Britain, British Army, Canada, Chippewa, Colonial Congress, France, French Army, Germany, Ireland, Iroquois, Massachusetts Colony, Mohawk, New France, New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of Colony, Pennsylvania, Scotland, U.S. Army, U.S. Senate
16. William Johnson, who moved to America at age 23, was born and raised in--
17. On being offered a job by his uncle, Johnson settled in--
18. Queen Anne's War Queen Anne's War: see French and Indian Wars.
Queen Anne's War
(1702–13) Second in a series of wars between Britain and France for control of North America. It was the American phase of the War of the Spanish Succession. ended with Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and the Hudson Bay Territory going to--
19. William Johnson was an adopted member and sachem sa·chem
a. A chief of a Native American tribe or confederation, especially an Algonquian chief.
b. A member of the ruling council of the Iroquois confederacy.
2. of the--
20. During the French and Indian War French and Indian War
North American phase of a war between France and Britain to control colonial territory (1754–63). The war's more complex European phase was the Seven Years' War. , Johnson served in the--
Quick Quiz, p. T-5
9. false (about the genocide in Darfur]
17. New York Colony
20. British army