* Match each phrase or place name in the left column with the correct description in the right column. --1. Chinguetti, a holy city A. imperiled by rising of Islam seas and hurricanes --2. architecture of New B. suffered damage Orleans, Louisiana to ancient mosaics --3. Hagia Sophia, a 6th-century C. endangered by cathedral melting permafrost --4. Inuit site on D. is collaborating Herschel Island with UNESCO --5. World Monuments E. threatened by Fund spreading desert
DEBATE: CELEBRITIES IN POLITICS?, PAGE 7
* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line provided.
--6. Bono should stick to making music.
--7. Cameron Diaz campaigns for environmental causes.
--8. Celebrities have personal opinions.
--9. George Clooney testified before Congress about greeenhouse gases.
--10. Russell Simmons supports too many causes.
WORLD: IRAN: THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD?, PAGES 10-14
* Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
--11. Which city is Iran's capital?
A. Khaavar City
--12. Who is the President of Iran?
A. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
B. Majid Ghorbani
C. Saddam Hussein
D. Ahmad Shirzad
--13. For Iraq and the U.S., what ended during Iran's Islamic Revolution of 1979?
A. an arms race
B. diplomatic ties
C. political differences
D. a state of war
--14. The UN imposed sanctions on Iran as a way to limit what?
A. child labor
B. Islamic rule
C. nuclear activity
D. public protest
--15. Most Iranians are of which ethnic group?
AMERICAN HISTORY: CHIEF BIG BUSINESS TAKES CHARGE, PAGES 16-19
* Use a word from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
Britain, British Army, Canada, Chippewa, Colonial Congress, France, French Army, Germany, Ireland, Iroquois, Massachusetts Colony, Mohawk, New France, New York Colony, Pennsylvania, Scotland, U.S. Army, U.S. Senate
16. William Johnson, who moved to America at age 23, was born and raised in--
17. On being offered a job by his uncle, Johnson settled in--
18. Queen Anne's War ended with Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and the Hudson Bay Territory going to--
19. William Johnson was an adopted member and sachem of the--
20. During the French and Indian War, Johnson served in the--
Quick Quiz, p. T-5
9. false (about the genocide in Darfur]
17. New York Colony
20. British army
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Oct 1, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Bringing you the world.|
|Next Article:||America's first plan to unify.|