Qafco's melamine project advancing.
(Image: Compressor-House25.jpg )
A Qatar Fertiliser Company (Qafco) revamp project for its first urea plant is making headway and is scheduled for completion by the end of this year.
The increase in urea production from 1,300 to 1,610 tonnes per day will be integrated into the up and coming melamine melamine (mĕl`əmēn'), common name for 2,4,6-triamino-1,3,5-triazine. Melamine is a trimer (see polymer) of cyanamide, H2NC≡N, and is synthesized from calcium carbide. plant whose completion is set for the second quarter of 2009, said Qafco industrial relations industrial relations
Relations between the management of an industrial enterprise and its employees.
the relations between management and workers manager Hamad Al Marwani Urea Casale of Switzerland has the engineering and procurement contract for the revamp of Urea-1. The melamine plant, belonging to Qatar Melamine Company, a joint venture between Qafco and Qatar Holding, is being constructed within Qafco's premises in Mesaieed and will have an annual capacity of 60,000 tonnes. Qafco is the majority shareholder with 60 per cent of ownership. The fertiliser company will also run both the operational and administrative aspects of the new plant. A licence agreement was signed with Eurotecnica Luxembourg for the supply of their proprietary high-pressure melamine technology, while a fixed contract was awarded to Eurotecnica Italy for engineering services, procurement of materials and equipment, provision of construction assistance and commissioning and start-up supervision. Qatar Engineering and Construction Company is overseeing the construction of both the melamine plant and the Urea-1 revamp project. "This points to the high level of expertise some local companies have attained, paving the way for them to achieve their full potential in the construction of chemical process plants," said Al Marwani. The Urea-1 revamp and melamine project are progressing in the midst Adv. 1. in the midst - the middle or central part or point; "in the midst of the forest"; "could he walk out in the midst of his piece?"
midmost of a major expansion in Qafco which will make it the world's largest single-site producer of ammonia. Already Qafco enjoys that status for urea. Currently the company has an annual production capacity of 2 million tonnes of ammonia and 2.8 million tonnes of urea from four ammonia and four urea plants. With Qafco-5, annual ammonia capacity will rise to 3.8 million tonnes and urea capacity to 4.3 million tonnes. The fifth train will come on stream by 2011, according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. Al Marwani. The decision to set up Qafco-5 was taken in view of "strategic significance attached to diversifying the economy and expanding the national industrial base," said the official. "The project is backed by 35 years of experience and is encouraged by favourable fertiliser markets propelled by rising gas prices and a growing demand for food worldwide." Qafco's shareholders are Industries Qatar (75 per cent) and Yara International Yara (OSE: YAR) is a Norwegian company and a world leading supplier of plant nutrients in the form of mineral fertilizers. The core business of Yara is production and marketing of nitrogen fertilizer such as urea and nitrates. (25 per cent). The EPC (1) (Entertainment PC) See HTPC.
(2) (Electronic Product Code) A standard code for RFID tags administered by EPCglobal Inc. (www.epcglobalinc.org). contract for Qafco-5 was awarded to a consortium made up of Snamprogetti of Italy, the leader, and South Korea's Hyundai Engineering and Construction Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co., Ltd. KSE: 000720 (abbreviation: HDEC or HEC) is a major construction company in South Korea which has carried out projects not only in Korea but around the world. Company. The Italian firm is responsible for engineering and procurement while Hyundai is responsible for construction. "In addition to the added value Added value in financial analysis of shares is to be distinguished from value added. Used as a measure of shareholder value, calculated using the formula:
An agency established by a country to finance its nation's goods, investment, and services, often offers political risk insurance. , is also participating in financing Qafco-5. Qafco also operates a urea formaldehyde-85 plant of Gulf Formaldehyde Company (GFC GFC Geelong Football Club (Australia)
GFC GMD (Ground-Based Midcourse Defense) Fire Control
GFC Georgia Forestry Commission
GFC Generic Flow Control
GFC Grace Fellowship Church
GFC Gaelic Football Club ), of which it owns 70 per cent. Other shareholders are Qatar Manufacturing Industries manufacturing industries npl → industrias fpl manufactureras
manufacturing industries npl → industries fpl de transformation
Company (15 per cent), United Development Co (10 per cent) and Amwal (5 per cent). The GFC plant is located in Mesaieed and is part of Qafco's complex. GFC underperformed in fiscal 2007 primarily because of a decrease in demand from export markets, Qafco said. Production for the year was close to 27,000 tonnes, some 13.6 per cent below target. Most of the production was used by Qafco's urea plants. Exports were around 3,500 tonnes against 5,347 tonnes in the previous year. Qafco exports ammonia and urea to more than 35 countries worldwide and its primary markets are Southeast Asia Southeast Asia, region of Asia (1990 est. pop. 442,500,000), c.1,740,000 sq mi (4,506,600 sq km), bounded roughly by the Indian subcontinent on the west, China on the north, and the Pacific Ocean on the east. , North America and Southern Africa. During 2007, more than 493,000 tonnes of ammonia left the Qatar's shores with India being the biggest importer, taking 71 per cent of that quantity. Jordan took in 23 per cent and the US 6 per cent. Ammonia exports were 16 per cent above what was envisaged in projections. With regards to urea, Qafco exported 2.8 million tonnes against the projected figure of 2.9 million tonnes. Again India was the biggest importer taking 16 per cent, followed by Australia, Brazil and the Philippines 7 per cent each, Iran 4 per cent, Sri Lanka, New Zealand New Zealand (zē`lənd), island country (2005 est. pop. 4,035,000), 104,454 sq mi (270,534 sq km), in the S Pacific Ocean, over 1,000 mi (1,600 km) SE of Australia. The capital is Wellington; the largest city and leading port is Auckland. and Argentina 3 per cent each and several other importers. Highlights of 2008 included a signing ceremony with a Vietnamese firm for the uptake of 250,000 tonnes of urea. "It is part of our strategy to strengthen our share in Qafco's traditional markets, taking into consideration current and future Qafco expansion," said its managing director Khalifa Al Sowaidi. Qafco's marketing manager Yousef Jeham Al Kuwari said the Vietnam market was one of the most important and strategic in the Far East and that the new pact made the company the leading exporter of fertiliser to that part of the world. To facilitate smooth loading and shipping of ammonia and urea to various world markets, Qafco operates two jetties and three berths with five ship loaders. These facilities enable three vessels to be loaded simultaneously with urea and ammonia. The company has four bulk halls with a total capacity of 390,000 tonnes to store granular and prilled Prilled is a term used in mining and manufacturing to refer to product that has been pelletized. The pellets are a neater, simpler form for handling, with reduced dust. Certain agrochemicals such as urea are often supplied in prilled form.
(2) (International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, www.iso.ch) An organization that sets international standards, founded in 1946. The U.S. member body is ANSI. management system certifications, namely ISO 9001, ISO 1401:2004 and Ohsas 18001," said Al Marwani. Qafco made a net profit of QR2.54 billion ($697 million) in 2007, against QR1.81 billion in the previous year. The company has been in production since 1973 when it inaugurated its first plant with a design capacity of 900 tonnes of ammonia and 1,000 tonnes of urea daily.
Copyright 2008 www.tradearabia.com
Copyright 2008 Al Hilal Publishing & Marketing Group
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company