Printer Friendly

Patient starts fire at mental unit.

Byline: By Tony Deeley

A SANDWELL mental health unit was evacuated after a female patient set fire to her bedding with a lighter.

A inquiry was under way today by officials of the Sandwell Mental Health NHS Trust following the incident, which left the 40-year-old woman with superficial burns to her feet and under her arms and needing treatment for smoke inhalation.

Her room was gutted.

The blaze broke out at the woman's room in the Charlemont House unit on the site of the Hallam Street Resource Centre in West Bromwich about 9pm yesterday, setting off alarms.

A total of 15 patients being treated for mental health problems were evacuated prior to the arrival of firefighters, who spent more than an hour at the scene.

Watch Commander Adrian Cherry of West Bromwich fire station said: "The woman, who has been a patient since May, had a cigarette lighter and set fire to her bedding.

"When we got there everybody had been evacuated," Mr Cherry added.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Sep 25, 2008
Words:165
Previous Article:Wonder-Wal! LIGHTS: Crowds come out as organisers turn on Walsall Illuminations.
Next Article:Two people injured in road accidents.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters