Fatah Central Committee member Mohammad Dahlan has stated that no peace Talks--whether direct or indirect--will be held between Israel and Palestinians, according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. the pan-Arab daily AL HAYAT Thursday. The paper quoted Dahlan as saying that the Fatah Central Committee has identified two points as "red lines" regarding the holding of peace talks. The first of these is the freezing of Jewish settlements, and the second is the recognition of past agreements between Palestinians and Israel regarding the peace process. US President Barack Obama failed to pressure Israel into suspending settlement activity with the aim of holding direct peace talks between Palestinians and Israel. Reports have suggested that indirect talks between Palestinians and Israel are to be held on Thursday and Friday with US mediation, but Dahlan's statements indirectly implied otherwise. The Fatah strongman was quoted by AL HAYAT as saying, "The Fatah Central Committee has decided that no peace talks will be held without Israel suspending settlement activity in Palestinian territories This article is about the Palestinian territories as a geopolitical phenomenon. For more on their geography, demographics and general history, see West Bank and Gaza Strip.
The Palestinian territories ."
The second "red line" for Palestinians was the recognition of past agreements between Palestinians and Israel regarding a comprehensive peace in the Middle East. These agreements include the implementation of the 2003 roadmap, which requires Israel to end settlements.
Dahlan also stressed the importance of Palestinian factions reconciling their differences. Fatah and Hamas have been deeply divided since 2006, when the latter won parliamentary elections and forcibly forc·i·ble
1. Effected against resistance through the use of force: The police used forcible restraint in order to subdue the assailant.
2. Characterized by force; powerful. ousted the rival Fatah forces from the Gaza Strip Gaza Strip (gäz`ə), (2003 est. pop. 1,330,000) rectangular coastal area, c.140 sq mi (370 sq km), SW Asia, on the Mediterranean Sea adjoining Egypt and Israel, in what was formerly SW Palestine. 18 months later. After Israel's recent 22-day onslaught on Gaza in January, Egypt has tried to mediate MEDIATE, POWERS. Those incident to primary powers, given by a principal to his agent. For example, the general authority given to collect, receive and pay debts due by or to the principal is a primary power. reconciliation talks between Fatah and Hamas. These talks, however, have so far proved fruitless fruit·less
1. Producing no fruit.
2. Unproductive of success: a fruitless search. See Synonyms at futile. . AL HAYAT quoted Dahlan as arguing that a unified Palestinian stance towards the peace process would have much more weight in peace talks rather than the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority Palestinian Authority (PA) or Palestinian National Authority, interim self-government body responsible for areas of the West Bank and Gaza Strip under Palestinian control. on its own.
In a separate report, the London based daily AL HAYAT said US Special Envoy to the Middle East former Senator George Mitchell George Mitchell may refer to: