Pages Come Alive as FAO Schwarz Unveils Highly Anticipated Holiday Catalogues.Business Editors
NOTE TO MEDIA: Photo is available in a Smart News Release(TM) on
Business Wire's Home Page at www.businesswire.com
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 19, 2000
n See Food and Agriculture Organization. Schwarz, the world's ultimate toy store A toy store, or toy shop, is a retail business specializing in the services of selling toys. No longer held to the limitations of the brick and mortar outlet, the toy store has successfully created a presence within the e-commerce industry. , officially kicked-off the holiday shopping season today with the unveiling of its highly anticipated Fall 2000 and Ultimate Toy Catalogues.
Carrying on its world-famous tradition of providing toy enthusiasts and collectors with exclusive and trend-setting merchandise from across the globe, the FAO Schwarz 2000 collection is sure to delight and dazzle daz·zle
v. daz·zled, daz·zling, daz·zles
1. To dim the vision of, especially to blind with intense light.
2. children and adults of all ages.
The pages of FAO's Fall 2000 Catalogue come alive as a host of whimsical whim·si·cal
1. Determined by, arising from, or marked by whim or caprice. See Synonyms at arbitrary.
2. Erratic in behavior or degree of unpredictability: a whimsical personality. characters and famous icons grace the various covers of the catalogue, distributed throughout the holiday season: Eloise at Christmas, Bear in the Big Blue House Bear in the Big Blue House is a television program for young children produced for the Disney Channel by The Jim Henson Company. The program taught simple life lessons by following the title character and his puppet friends as they went through their day. , the Tommy Hilfiger Thomas Jacob Hilfiger (born March 24, 1951 in Elmira, New York) is a world-famous American fashion designer and creator of the eponymous "Tommy Hilfiger" and "Tommy" brands. Biography
Hilfiger was born March 24, 1951 and raised in Elmira, New York. Doll collection, Rolie Polie Olie, and friends from Dragon Tales Dragon Tales is an animated children's television series chronicling the adventures of the human children Max and Emmy (brother and sister respectively) and their dragon friends Cassie, Ord, Zak and Wheezie. . Inside, FAO has filled the pages with what is sure to be "hot holiday toys" for the 2000 holiday season.
Whether it is being the conductor of an eight-passenger train in your own home or mountain climbing mountain climbing, the practice of climbing to elevated points for sport, pleasure, or research. Also called mountaineering, it is practiced throughout the world. Types
There are three types of mountain climbing. in your bedroom, customers will see that FAO Schwarz is filled with the most unique collectibles and toys one can find throughout the world. Once again, FAO offers their one-of-a kind, magical touch; a tradition customers have grown to love throughout the years.
"As we unveil the first catalogues of the millennium, FAO Schwarz's indisputable reputation for providing customers with the finest quality merchandise and service since 1862 is surely reflected as you turn each page," said Bud Johnson, CEO (1) (Chief Executive Officer) The highest individual in command of an organization. Typically the president of the company, the CEO reports to the Chairman of the Board. , FAO Schwarz. "Our formula of offering a one-of-kind, highly interactive and entertaining shopping environment has made FAO a special place to find that perfect gift - for 139 years."
From a seven-foot Darth Vader Darth Vader
fallen Jedi Knight has turned to evil. [Am. Cinema: Star Wars]
See : Evil built entirely out of Legos to an FAO Girl Bead Barrel kit, FAO Schwarz has all the great classics that children and adults will love. Below is a taste of some great gift ideas available from FAO's Fall 2000 catalogues.
FAO SCHWARZ HOT TOYS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- Dolls: Glamorous and beautiful, FAO's dolls will be a delight for every girl to play with. - Tommy Hilfiger/Madame Alexander Dolls: $85 -- From fall's hottest runway show, exclusively, to the world's hottest toy store! Tommy Hilfiger and FAO Schwarz are proud to team up with Madame Alexander Dolls to offer an exclusive collection of five of the best-dressed dolls in Hilfiger's latest fashions. - Millennium Ball Alex by Madame Alexander: $160 -- Announcing the debut of Alexandra Fairchild Ford, the stunning new creation by Madame Alexander and exclusive to FAO. Here Alex steps out for an elegant evening gala. Dressed in a beautiful beaded satin dress with a knit angora shawl and special shoes, she is the belle of the ball! - Stardust Memories Gene: $110 -- Celebrating the fifth anniversary of the fabulous collector fashion doll Gene Marshall, this beauty embodies the movie stars of the Golden Ages of Hollywood. To commemorate the occasion, Gene, dressed for a silver screen premiere circa 1955, has been created as a Limited Edition of just 3,500 pieces. - Electronics: In this revolutionary world of technology, kids of all ages need to stay connected and ahead of their time. FAO offers today's tech-savvy kids with everything from electronic organizers to cool cameras. - Get Mail: $39.99 -- Keep in touch with friends by exchanging email-like messages using special message cards. This hip gadget has eight built-in functions including: to-do lists, horoscopes, calculator and personal information. - Yahoo! Cam: $79.99 -- Take color photos and post them onto your Web site with this colorful palm-sized digital camera. Allows users to store and download 12 photos to your PC for printing, emailing or for Web applications. Has a built-in infrared flash that lets you take pictures in the dark! - Vtech Cordless Digital Phone: $89.99 - Features built-in answering machine, three-voice mailboxes and headset. - Barbie(R): For generations, Barbie has delighted little girls. Now Barbie is more glamorous then ever. FAO Schwarz is proud to offer exclusive Barbie collectibles for mothers and daughters everywhere. - Lady Liberty Barbie by Bob Mackie: $199 -- Exclusive to FAO Schwarz, Bob Mackie's latest American icon commemorates another one as glamour reigns from sea to shining sea. This limited edition beauty features the designer's trademark detailing and fantasy, and comes with a copy of the designer's original sketch. - Fashion Editor Barbie: $85 -- Get all your fashions tips from the Fashion Model Collection(TM) and the Fashion Editor Barbie. Made of Silkstone(TM), Fashion Editor Barbie is decked out in her vogue leopard print skirt, black turtleneck, black boucle coat and high-heel Mary Janes. She knows what's hot and what's not! - Bob Mackie Dress-Up Costumes: $85 each --There's a little bit of princess in every little girl. This holiday, one of the world's most celebrated designers, Bob Mackie, has created an exclusive dress-up collection for your little princess. Three beautiful designs, the Fairy Tale Princess, Golden Angel Princess and Princess of Hearts, enable girls to pretend that they are fairies of the land even in their own "castle." - Infants & Preschool: Of course, FAO doesn't forget about the little ones. Great toys to keep the little brothers and sisters occupied including: - Bouncy Pony Rocker: $89 - Grows with your baby. First it's a bouncer, then it's a rocker. - Forest Friends Treehouse: $125 - Bring the adventure of a real tree house indoors. Billy Bear plus 25 accessories provide hours of imaginative play. - Eloise at Christmas Collection -- The six-year old princess of the Plaza Hotel, Eloise, was first introduced in the series of classic books written by Kay Thompson, but now she is featured in a wonderful collection of dolls, toys, furniture, and collectibles available at FAO. - Eloise at Christmas 18' Cloth Doll by Madame Alexander: $45 -- Madame Alexander has designed these exclusive incarnations of Eloise just for FAO Schwarz! In the first new version of the original Eloise doll, the festive pixie has put on a faux-fur trimmed Santa hat. Candy-cane stiped muffler and even tied little bells on her legs with ribbon. - Eloise at Christmas 8" Vinyl Doll: $45 - She may dress like Santa, but she is still that spirited little sprite named Eloise. - Eloise Doll House: $20,000 -- A handcrafted replica of the place where Eloise lived. This miniature hotel by Bill Finnerin of the Manhattan Model Shop comes complete with a special Eloise doll made by Madame Alexander. Constructed primarily of wood, the three-story hotel features a lobby on the ground floor, bedroom and bath on the second floor, and a ballroom on the top. Each room is decorated in a variety of furniture and accessories and the hotel is illuminated by a low-voltage lighting system. - Street Flyers: $125 -- Forget about carrying around a pair of shoes when you skate. These shoes are sneakers and skates all in one! Walk or glide, Street Flyers are in-line skates that have retractable wheels. They are comfortable, fast, and fun! - FAO Girl Collection -- This exclusive FAO collection will take a girl from school to a dance in style. From spa kits to hair accessories to cool gadgets, this line has everything a girl wants or needs. Girls are guaranteed to have tons of fun whether it's pampering themselves with the manicure/pedicure kit or making their closest friend trendy beaded bracelets. - FAO Girl Bead Barrel: $60 -- A beading extravaganza. With over 1,000 beads in different shapes, colors and sizes, it is a complete center for creating the coolest necklaces, bracelets, earrings, hair extensions and key chains. - Day-at-the-Spa Kit: $45 -- Pamper yourself with your own creations. This awesome tote contains all the ingredients to make your own shower gel, lotion, body glitter and more. You can even make your own labels to decorate the containers. - FAO University -- And why should girls have all the fun? FAO Schwarz is proud to announce a collection of "must-haves" for every guy, including the FAO University Art Bag and FAO University Sports Gear Backpack. FAO Schwarz recognizes that today's young man is on the cutting edge with fashion, accessories and toys. With that in mind, they have created a one-stop shopping haven especially for him. - FAO University Art Bag: $39 -- Go to class in style with a trendy "messenger bag" look. Comes complete with an art set that includes an art pad, pencil set, crayons, ruler, markers, eraser, and watercolor paint. - FAO University Basketball Backpack $35 -- Perfect for carrying school - and sports - gear! Comes complete with a basketball in a mesh holding compartment - Silver Lining Pals: $13.99 -- Renowned tennis player Andrea Jaeger and FAO Schwarz have teamed up to present The Silver Lining Pals. This collection is an animal lover's dream! Introducing 19 adorable plush animals, including Laddie the Yellow Labrador, Chauncy the Calico Cat and Swizzle the Giraffe. A portion of the proceeds from the animals will benefit The Silver Lining Ranch in Aspen, Colorado, a haven for children with serious illnesses. - Plush Friends: FAO's plush animals are the softest and cuddliest around. Sure to be your child's best friend are: - Patrick the Pup: $30 -- FAO Schwarz presents its popular pup that keeps getting bigger and bigger! Softer then ever, Patrick goes from couch potato to actual couch! - Studio Wildlife Collection: $225 to $600 - A great way to decorate an entry way or a child's room. Large, life-like plush animals including an elephant, zebra and giraffe, these beautiful pieces bring the wild right into your own home! - Coiffed Canines: $28 - Fancy little dogs for fancy little girls who just love to have fun. Each adorable little pooch has long, silky hair and comes with pretend jewelry, hair accessories and a brush. - Just Like Dad's Collection -- Endorsed by famed baseball player, Cal Ripken Jr., this exclusive collection inspires kids to look up to their parents and reach for the stars. Whether they dream of becoming a doctor, baseball player or carpenter, these specially designed toys let children believe that dreams do come true! - Baseball Set: $34 -- Take me out to the ballpark, with plenty of toys to spare. This Baseball Set comes with a baseball bat, 3 softballs, deep pocket glove and a clear vinyl carrying case with convenient handle. - Golf Set: $20 -- Fore! With these clubs, balls and bag, you can be the next Tiger Woods. - Tool Set: $26 -- Comes complete with hammer, saw, wrench, protective eye gear and many other tools a child needs to build it or fix it! - Little Red Doll Assortment: $15 - $50 -- Founded by the Duchess of York, Chances for Children is an organization dedicated to helping children in need throughout America. Little Red takes her inspiration from Rhonda, the first child Chances for Children was able to help. New for 2000, Little Red comes dressed up for Christmas ($24) and as part of a trunk set ($50). FAO Schwarz will donate a portion of the proceeds from this collection to Chances for Children. - Alluwishes: $40 -- Let FAO Schwarz' sweet little angel, Alluwishes, watch over you and your loved ones this Holiday season and grant you all your wishes. His own wish is for a better future for children and that is why a portion of the proceeds of every Alluwishes will be donated by FAO to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. - Furniture/Rockers: In addition to offering the greatest toys and collectibles, FAO has the finest quality furniture and rockers for a child's room. - Mahogany Rocking Horse: $2,800 -- This majestic thoroughbred complete with genuine horse hair mane and tail as well as a removable leather saddle is sculpted to portray a real horse. A much-loved toy with heirloom quality is a pure treasure that children will enjoy. - Hand Painted Tea Party Furniture: $575 -- This gorgeous wooden furniture will turn a little girl's room into a wonderland. The tea party motif features lovely floral flourishes and woven rush seats for comfort. A three-piece table and chair set that makes every little girl the "hostess with the mostess."
FAO SCHWARZ ULTIMATE GIFT ITEMS
- One-of-a-Kind Monopoly: $100,000 -- This is absolutely the
most over-the-top game of Monopoly anyone has ever seen. Using
18k gold playing pieces, and precious gems inlaid in·laid
Past tense and past participle of inlay.
1. Set into a surface in a decorative pattern: a mahogany dresser with an inlaid teak design.
2. in the Free
Parking, Community Chest, Chance and Luxury Tax spaces, this
game is played with real cold-hard cash. The cards, pieces,
dice and money are all stored in a locking attache ATTACHE. Connected with, attached to. This word is used to signify those persons who are attached to a foreign legation. An attache is a public minister within the meaning of the Act of April 30, 1790, s. 37, 1 Story's L. U. S. case made
with Napolino leather and lined in suede.
- Ride On Train: $40,000 -- Ride around the house on this
electrically powered train. This train contains an engine car
and three additional passenger cars to fit eight children and
rides on a 20-foot track that fits together in a circle. Now,
kids can be the conductors in their own home!
- Cars: Don't worry about having a driver's license Noun 1. driver's license - a license authorizing the bearer to drive a motor vehicle
driver's licence, driving licence, driving license
license, permit, licence - a legal document giving official permission to do something
or not. FAO
allows youngster to get behind the wheel at an early age in
some of the best cars there are.
- Gas Powered Range Rover
little early with this kid-size 4x4 vehicle. This ultimate
SUV is crafted with all-weather fiberglass, 5-horsepower
engine, rear disc brakes, roll bar, front bumper, and
rugged full suspension. Kids can even enjoy some luxury
extras including AM/FM AM/FM Amplitude Modulation / Frequency Modulation
AM/FM Auto-Mapping/Facilities Management radio cassette radio cassette radio n → radiocassette m player with dual
speakers, working headlights, carpeted interior, a leather
wrapped steering wheel and more. Max speed is 20 mph.
- Gas Powered Lamborghini: $40,000 -- Kids will be screaming
"arrivederci " as they drive away in this high-performance
Lamborghini. A Briggs & Stratton four cycle, five
horsepower engine and automatic transmission power this
child-sized automobile. The interior is appointed with
faux leather upholstery and features a full instrument
panel and working horn. Max speed 14 mph.
- Moving Mountain: $20,000 -- Too cold outside to go camping and
mountain climbing? Why not bring the mountain indoors? This
mountain utilizes a track system that provides the
exhilaration of rock climbing rock climbing Sports medicine An 'extreme sport' in which the participant climbs rock formations, with or without ropes Injury risk Fractures, abrasions, death. See Extreme sports. while keeping you only a few
feet away from the floor. Users can select their own level of
difficulty by adjusting the speed. And, if a foot should go
below a certain point, the safety mechanism will automatically
shut the mountain off.
- Marvin's Magic Experience: $20,000 -- Marvin Berglas, top
magician and creator of Marvin's Magic, personally invites you
to join him in London for a magical experience at the most
exclusive club in the world, the Magic Circle. Participate in
a workshop with actual magicians, and watch them perform up
close. This experience includes a round-trip, business class
airfare to London, a three-night stay in one of the city's
finest hotels, dinner with Marvin and a tour of his offices.
Finally, you get to tour London on your own with the exclusive
use of "Marvin's Black Magic Taxi". This is a fantasy camp
that is truly magical, an experience you and your guest will
- Gene Collection
- One-of-a-Kind Townhouse town·house or town house
1. A residence in a city.
2. A row house, especially a fashionable one. : $18,000 -- Three stories of pure
luxury overlooking Manhattan's skyline, as is befitting be·fit·ting
Appropriate; suitable; proper.
Adj. 1. a
movie star of Gene's caliber. An exquisite handcrafted hand·craft
Variant of handicraft.
tr.v. hand·craft·ed, hand·craft·ing, hand·crafts
To fashion or make by hand.
design that comes complete with the Gene Stardust star·dust
1. A dreamlike, romantic, or uncritical sense of well-being.
2. A cluster of stars too distant to be seen individually, resembling a dimly luminous cloud of dust. Not in scientific use.
Doll, this home is completely furnished in vintage style
and is illuminated with recessed lighting A recessed light or downlight (also pot light in Canadian English, sometimes can light [for canister light] in American English) is a light fixture that is installed into a hollow opening in a ceiling. . The frosted
glass doors close and this townhouse becomes a beautiful
mahogany armoire. Portion of the proceeds will be donated
to Habitat for Humanity Habitat for Humanity, nonprofit ecumenical Christian organization that enables low-income people to own affordable, livable housing. Headquartered in Americus, Ga., it was founded in 1976 by businessman Millard Fuller and his wife. , an organization that provides
housing for underprivileged families.
- Stardust Memories Gene: $110 - Gene comes adorned a·dorn
tr.v. a·dorned, a·dorn·ing, a·dorns
1. To lend beauty to: "the pale mimosas that adorned the favorite promenade" Ronald Firbank.
2. in a
Having no strap or straps, as a dress or an undergarment.
A garment having no strap or straps.
Adjective evening gown evening gown
A woman's formal dress. Also called evening dress.
Noun 1. evening gown - a gown for evening wear
dinner dress, dinner gown, formal , shimmery shim·mer
intr.v. shim·mered, shim·mer·ing, shim·mers
1. To shine with a subdued flickering light. See Synonyms at flash.
2. in silver and just right
for a silver screen premiere! The bodice twinkles with
gold and silver beads that match the bow at the back. Gene
also wears a beautiful silver "fur" full-length stole,
lined in a delicate pink silk. Includes silvery sil·ver·y
1. Containing or coated with silver.
2. Resembling silver in color or luster: "A fountain threw high its silvery water" Harriet Beecher Stowe.
opera-length gloves, crystal drop earrings, silver strap
shoes, pink rose, crinoline and seamed hosiery hosiery
Knit or woven coverings for the feet and legs, worn inside shoes. In the 8th century BC, Hesiod referred to linings for shoes; the Romans wrapped their feet, ankles, and legs in long strips of leather or woven cloth. . Gene doll The Gene doll is a 15.5 inches tall collectible fashion doll. This "Hollywood's golden era"-inspired doll was created by the illustrator Mel Odom, who is not the same person as the author Mel Odom.
designed by artist Mel Odom and costume designed by Jose
- Stardust Memories Custom-Made Gown and Gene Experience:
$15,000 -- This stunning Stardust Memories gown will be
tailor-made to your measurements. The gown is gray silk
satin with silver mesh tulle Tulle (tl, Fr. tül), town (1990 pop. 18,685), capital of Corrèze dept., S central France. Firearms and other goods are made there. Tulle was built around a 7th-century monastery. and hand-beaded accents; a
faux fur stole, crystal earrings and formal opera-length
gloves complete the ensemble. Then you will travel to New
York City for a VIP tour of FAO Schwarz, where Gene
designer Mel Odom will present you with your own signed
Stardust Memories doll. Afterwards, don your gown and head
out on the town, where Mel and gown designer Jose Ferrand
will host you and a guest at Le Cirque Le Cirque is a famed French restaurant in Manhattan owned and operated by Sirio Maccioni. Currently at One Beacon Court (151 East 58th Street), it is a 16000 square foot restaurant designed by interior designer Adam Tihany, architect Costas Kondylis. for a star-studded
dinner. This entire package includes round-trip travel for
two, hotel accommodations, dinner, the signed doll and
your own custom-made Stardust Memories gown; a portion of
the proceeds will be donated to The Neil Bogart Neil Bogart (February 3, 1943 – May 8, 1982) was an American record executive. He is perhaps best known as the founder of Casablanca Records, with Peter Guber.
He was born Neil E. Bogatz in Brooklyn, New York. Memorial
Fund for Children's Cancer, Leukemia leukemia (lkē`mēə), cancerous disorder of the blood-forming tissues (bone marrow, lymphatics, liver, spleen) characterized by excessive production of immature or mature , and AIDS Research.
- Life-Size Lego Darth Vader Build-Up build·up also build-up
1. The act or process of amassing or increasing: a military buildup; a buildup of tension during the strike.
2. : $10,000 -- Direct from
the big screen to your bedroom and available exclusively at
FAO Schwarz. Standing at approximately 7-feet tall, Darth
Vader speaks, quoting lines from the Star Wars movies, and
carries a light saber that actually lights up. Only three
- Sporting Goods Noun 1. sporting goods - sports equipment sold as a commodity
commodity, trade good, good - articles of commerce
sports equipment - equipment needed to participate in a particular sport : Why stay inside and watch television when FAO
offers a terrific selection of outdoor gear!
- Diggler Original Mountain Scooter scooter: see motorcycle. : $549 - An extreme
scooter for extreme action! Custom steering with 20"
- Zap Scooter: $699 - An electric powered scooter that
reaches 13 mph. Weighs 36 lbs. and can be rolled behind
you just like luggage.
- Children's Outdoor Theater: $14,500 -- This is the ultimate
playhouse theater with a lighted marquee and changeable
letters; stairs leading up to a balcony; simulated neon
lighting; a refreshment stand; and, a front ticket window with
a reel of tickets. With six operable operable /op·er·a·ble/ (op´er-ah-b'l) subject to being operated upon with a reasonable degree of safety; appropriate for surgical removal.
adj. windows and a hard wood
floor, this magnificent theater comes complete with a 25'
television and VCR VCR: see videocassette recorder.
in full videocassette recorder
Electromechanical device that records, stores on a videotape cassette, and plays back on a TV set recorded images and sound. to screen your favorite films.
- Hi-Tech Toys
- Sony Audio: $99.99 - $399 - Choose from three great "must
have" sound systems from Sony: boom box with CD and AM/FM
radio; Psyc Discman; or, the super small 21/2oz. MP3
- Handspring Visor Deluxe The Handspring Visor Deluxe is one of the Visor family of PDAs produced by Handspring, Inc. between 1999 and 2004. Visor Deluxe used Palm OS 3.1H running on a 16MHz DragonBall processor, a modified version of the OS from Palm that included an enhanced datebook, a city time : $249.00 - A powerful planning
device in a stylish case; based on the popular Palm OS
platform. Integrates address book, to-do lists, clock,
date book and features email capabilities.
About FAO Schwarz
Founded in 1862, FAO Schwarz has long been recognized as the world's ultimate toy store. The company consistently delivers exclusive, unusual and trend-setting merchandise from around the globe. FAO Schwarz has designed its stores, catalogues and on-line shopping site in a manner that involves customers with merchandise and creates a unique, playful experience.
The company currently operates 43 locations nationwide, including flagship stores in Chicago, Las Vegas Las Vegas (läs vā`gəs), city (1990 pop. 258,295), seat of Clark co., S Nev.; inc. 1911. It is the largest city in Nevada and the center of one of the fastest-growing urban areas in the United States. , New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of , Orlando and San Francisco San Francisco (săn frănsĭs`kō), city (1990 pop. 723,959), coextensive with San Francisco co., W Calif., on the tip of a peninsula between the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay, which are connected by the strait known as the Golden . FAO also produces The Ultimate Toy Catalogue, a direct mail catalogue that is distributed to more than six million consumers annually. For more information about FAO Schwarz, visit the company's Website at www.fao.com.
Note: A Photo is available at URL URL
in full Uniform Resource Locator
Address of a resource on the Internet. The resource can be any type of file stored on a server, such as a Web page, a text file, a graphics file, or an application program. :