PUB QUIZ UNCOVERED.
PUB: The Northumbrian Piper, Fawdon, Newcastle
QUESTION MASTER: Alan
DAY AND TIME OF QUIZ: Monday 9pm
PRICE: 50p per person
PRIZE MONEY: Prizes for all teams
FOOD: An amazing array of sandwiches and other nibbles.
PARTICIPATING AGE GROUPS: Over 50s
STAR RATING: 8/10
NUMBER OF TEAMS: Three
MARKING SYSTEM: Marked by Alan
MOST UNUSUAL NAME: Team numbers only
ROUND 1: 20 TV programmes to identify from photos
ROUND 2: 20 general knowledge, a really good challenging mixture and variety.
ROUND 3: As above
ROUND 4: Music round, clips to identify artist and title.
ROUND 5: As round 2
BETWEEN ROUNDS: Surprisingly none
JACKPOT: 50p a try and a random poser for anyone in the pub, winner takes all.
COMMENT: This must be the most difficult-to-find tavern in the Newcastle area but nevertheless well worth the search. The quiz matches these expectations, so why so few teams? I can only assume that the content does not suit everyone so perhaps it is time to drop the pictures, or music, or both and see what happens. I had visited here before and there was a low turn-out then, though I was assured this was below the average crowd in numbers. Alan produces an extremely good product which deserves more support but the outcome is always going to be determined by the music and pictures. This area also did not cater for the age group present. The management have invested heavily in the evening with outstanding snacks and beer vouchers and clearly Alan has devoted lots of time and effort. So experiment and let's see what happens!
10 QUESTIONS FROM THE QUIZ
1) Who had a capital city named after him, and his horse was also named after a capital city?
2) What is the most expensive property in Monopoly?
3) In the Olympic Games, which sporting implement is thrown the furthest?
4) The Welland Canal connects Lake Ontario to which Great Lake?
5) What colours are on the Italian national flag?
6) Which country's borders are all within South Africa?
7) Michael Marks, founder of Marks and Spencer came from which country?
8) What relation is Christopher Lee to Ian Fleming?
9) Which American President is said to have spoken the fastest?
10) Whose last words were "I don't want to speak to her. She'll only want me to pass a message to Albert"?
ANSWERS: 1) Wellington, Copenhagen, 2) Mayfair, 3) Javelin, 4) Erie, 5) Red, white and green, 6) Lesotho, 7) Poland, 8) Cousin, 9) John F Kennedy, 10) Benjamin Disraeli.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)|
|Date:||Jan 2, 2009|
|Previous Article:||fashion: Sport a new stylish look; IT'S the start of a new year and if keeping fit is one of your resolutions you'll need some stylish sportswear to...|
|Next Article:||Discover the new you in 2009; New Year resolutions can be hard to keep but if you want to get fit, change your image or improve relationships there...|