Odds and ends.* The April 2012 edition of "School Days," the Department's monthly video journal, features the President's calls for quick action by Congress to avoid a doubling of the student loan interest rate, the Secretary's announcement of the first-ever Green Ribbon Schools, and the Administration's plans for transforming career and technical education.
* Superintendents, school board members, and union leaders from 41 states and over 100 districts will meet in Cincinnati May 23 and 24 to share innovative ideas and successful policies that strengthen the teaching profession, from recruiting new candidates to retaining talent already in the classroom. This is the second such convening, following the February 2011 conference in Denver. This year's conference is focused on innovative approaches to improving student achievement by dramatically boost the stature of the teaching profession and the number of highly effective teachers.
* A transcript and video of the Department's latest Education Stakeholders Forum, on the progress of School Improvement Grant (SIG) recipients, is posted online.
* To celebrate Public Service Recognition Week (May 6-12), the Department dedicated this month's #AskFAFSA Office Hours office hours,
n.pl See business hours. to the nation's public servants.
* Senior Policy Advisor Karen Gross blogged on the recurring questions and concerns that arose during her recent trip to New England to meet with students, faculty, and staff at Dover High School Dover High School can refer to:
The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (PNS), often called the Portsmouth Navy Yard (ME).
* Late last year, the Department encouraged both high school and college students to come up with creative videos that explain why college net price calculators-which give families a sense of how much they would actually pay to attend a specific institution by factoring in which grants and scholarship aid students may be eligible for-are a valuable resource. A panel of higher education stakeholders judged all the entries, and, on May 15, the agency announced the top three videos. The three students will each receive a $1,500 prize.
* The Department of Health and Human Services Noun 1. Department of Health and Human Services - the United States federal department that administers all federal programs dealing with health and welfare; created in 1979
Health and Human Services, HHS has announced the availability of new funding for the construction and renovation of school-based health centers.
* The National Endowment for the Humanities is inviting proposals for new projects that advance the role of the humanities at community colleges through curriculum and faculty development on the theme of "Bridging Cultures."