Printer Friendly

OGLETHORPE POWER DEDICATES ROCKY MOUNTAIN HYDRO PLANT

ROME, Ga., Oct. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Oglethorpe Power Corporation today formally dedicated the Rocky Mountain Hydroelectric Plant in northwestern Floyd County. The $1 billion plant, which began commercial operation this summer, is capable of generating more than 800,000 kilowatts of electric power. Oglethorpe Power will own 75 percent of the plant and will serve as plant operator. Georgia Power Company will own the remaining 25 percent.

Speaking at the dedication ceremony, Oglethorpe Power Board Chairman J. Calvin Earwood called the official opening of the Rocky Mountain Plant "a proud moment for Oglethorpe Power and the EMCs of Georgia."

"Oglethorpe Power's mission is to help its member systems enhance the quality of life of those they serve by supplying adequate energy and associated services," he said. "The Rocky Mountain Plant is a story of mission accomplished."

Earwood noted that the plant was constructed under budget and ahead of schedule.

Oglethorpe Power President and CEO Tom D. Kilgore said construction of the Rocky Mountain Plant is a significant step in the corporation's positioning for the future. "This plant will be an important source for meeting Georgia's energy needs as the population and summer demand for electricity continue to grow in the future," he noted. He thanked the people of Floyd County for their strong support during the construction of the plant.

"You are blessed to have such a wonderful community and so many dedicated public officials," he said. "You've all helped to make our job easier, and we hope to repay your kindness by being a good citizen in your community for many years to come."

The Rocky Mountain Plant employs about 50 workers and is expected to generate about $7 million in local property taxes annually.

Oglethorpe Power provides power to Electric Membership Corporations serving more than 2.5 million Georgians across the state.
 -0- 10/9/95


/CONTACT: Greg Jones, Oglethorpe Power Corporation, 770-270-7890, or 770-270-7872/

CO: Oglethorpe Power Corporation ST: Georgia IN: UTI SU:

KW-SD -- AT010 -- 4090 10/09/95 13:04 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1995 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1995 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Oct 9, 1995
Words:334
Previous Article:CHAIRMAN OF LASERTECHNICS AND PRIVATE INVESTOR PURCHASE COMPANY SHARES
Next Article:VASTAR RESOURCES FORMS POWER MARKETING SUB
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters