OAU Secretary General, your votes. (Readers' Response).
Time for woman SG
It is time, in this new millennium, for the OAU OAU
Organization of African Unity
OAU n abbr (= Organization of African Unity) → OUA f
OAU n abbr (= Organization of African Unity to name a lady, a daughter of mother Africa, as secretary general. I nominate Elisabeth Toro Toro may refer to:
Kingston, Jamaica The City of Kingston is the capital and largest city of Jamaica. It is located on the southeastern coast of the island country at Coordinates: .
I propose Major Kojo Boakye Djan of Ghana. After reading his interview in New African New African is an English-language monthly news magazine based in London. Published since 1966, it is read by many people across the African continent and the African diaspora. (February & March), I think he is the right man for the OAU top job. One can easily see that he has the interest of Africa at heart, and also something good and meaningful to deliver. Besides he has a broad political insight.
(*.) My choice for the new OAU secretary general? Major Boakye Djan of Ghana.
Shaheed Noun 1. shaheed - Arabic term for holy martyrs; applied by Palestinians to suicide bombers
Arabic, Arabic language - the Semitic language of the Arabs; spoken in a variety of dialects
martyr, sufferer - one who suffers for the sake of principle Senoko
I nominate Ambassador Bashir Saleh. He is an experienced man in international affairs and the right person to introduce the reforms needed in the OAU. Saleh was Libya's ambassador to Tanzania, Algeria, Central Africa and Nigeria.
Dar es Salaam Dar es Salaam
Largest city (pop., 1995 est.: 1,747,000), capital, and major port of Tanzania. Founded in 1862 by the sultan of Zanzibar, it came under the German East Africa Co. in 1887. , Tanzania
Theo Ben Gurirab
The new OAU secretary general must be a person who:
* Understands world politics (who has both domestic and international experience).
* Has integrity, well respected, and willing to take on difficult issues, without taking sides.
* Not corrupt, humble, not there for self enrichment, and who has the continent's interest at heart.
* Will not put emphasis on how to get foreign aid (which makes Africa more dependent).
* Will work towards bringing the Africans in the Diaspora together.
* Will address the issues of the colonised Adj. 1. colonised - inhabited by colonists
inhabited - having inhabitants; lived in; "the inhabited regions of the earth" mind (and make us stop rejecting ourselves and help us decolonise Verb 1. decolonise - grant independence to (a former colony); "West Africa was decolonized in the early 1960's"
set free, liberate - grant freedom to; "The students liberated their slaves upon graduating from the university" our minds).
* Someone who is not only a talker but also an action person.
* Someone who will respect the input of the youth without feeling threatened.
* Someone open to constructive criticism.
The person who immediately comes to mind is the Namibian foreign minister, Theo Ben Gurirab.
My vote goes to Winnie Mandela. Because she is an enlightened woman who knows Africa's problems in depth due to her experience, and is also assertive, confident and presentable pre·sent·a·ble
1. That can be given, displayed, or offered: presentable gifts; presentable attire.
2. Fit for introduction to others: presentable relatives. .
Jersey City, USA
Dr Sedat Jobe
I nominate Dr Sedat Jobe, foreign minister of The Gambia as the next OAU secretary general. He was the director of UNESCO UNESCO: see United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization.
in full United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in Africa, and was instrumental in bringing peace to Guinea Bissau. He also initiated the Banjul peace talks between the Cassamance rebels and the government of Senegal. He is a son of Africa born to bring peace and stability to all.
Peter Bekoe Koranteng
Serrekunda, The Gambia
My vote goes to Prof Washington Jalan'go Okumu for the OAU job. In 1994, Prof Okumu was instrumental in bringing Nelson Mandela and Mangosuthu Buthelezi closer and ensuring a peaceful transition in South Africa. He has worked for many years in the UN system in Geneva Geneva, canton and city, Switzerland
Geneva (jənē`və), Fr. Genève, canton (1990 pop. 373,019), 109 sq mi (282 sq km), SW Switzerland, surrounding the southwest tip of the Lake of Geneva. .
Moi's Bridge, Kenya
The new OAU secretary general must be a person to lead Africa to economic development and political maturity. Such a person must have a track record of resourceful diplomacy, and a personality to inspire African leaders to greater feats.
Having said that, I nominate the following:
* Emeka Anyaoku, the former Commonwealth secretary general.
* Flt-Lt Jerry Rawlings, the former president of Ghana.
* Hage Geingob, the prime minister of Nambia.
* Vernon J. Mwaanga, former foreign minister of Zambia.
* Mark Chona, former political adviser to President Kenneth Kuanda and now a top civil servant in Zambia.
* J. B. Zulu, a technocrat tech·no·crat
1. An adherent or a proponent of technocracy.
2. A technical expert, especially one in a managerial or administrative position. recently retired from the World Bank where he served for nearly two decades. He was the first head of the Zambian national bank and economic adviser to President Kaunda.
Phillip J. Daka
I cast my first vote for Olara Otunnu, the man who shaped the foreign policy of Uganda after the Idi Amin era, only to be driven away by Museveni's troops.
My second vote goes to Winnie Mandela.
Dr Mustafa Ismail
I nominate Dr Mustafa Osman Ismail Mustafa Osman Ismail (born 1955 in Dongola, Sudan) was the foreign minister of Sudan from 18 February 1998 to 18 September 2005.
His main job as foreign minister was to be the government's main spokesman in diplomatic efforts to solve the Sudanese civil wars. , a Sudanese medical doctor turned politician/diplomat, and the current foreign minister. It was him who bridged the divide between Eritrea and Ethiopia. He is the man to bring an end to the war in Sudan.
Fr. Hilary Boma Omol
I nominate Nelson Mandela for the OAU job. Need I give his CV?
Ahmadu B. Mamah Musah
My vote goes to Kofi Annan. If he has a realistic chance to stay in his current job as UN secretary general, I will like him to remain in New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of because he is doing an excellent job for the whole world. But if he is not to get a second term at the UN, let him be our secretary general in Addis Ababa.
Berhanu Done Halabo